• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

British or USA Gold-- What is your preference?

rivellis

I'm curious to see how many collectors "follow the flag" regarding their favorite gold coins. The differences are what they are, but I find myself liking both for different reasons. I might go so far as to say my favorites are British ( though being a US citizen I find many dealers here are indifferent toward "World Coins.")

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, rivellis said:

I'm curious to see how many collectors "follow the flag" regarding their favorite gold coins. The differences are what they are, but I find myself liking both for different reasons. I might go so far as to say my favorites are British ( though being a US citizen I find many dealers here are indifferent toward "World Coins.")

I like my coins with history, so it has to be British.

Its a pity America became independent, you could have had more variation with successive kings and queens and even a British civil war coinage, interesting stuff 😁

I only have a very small handful of gold coins so take this as the opinion of someone who isn't highly invested. I prefer British because of the Sovereign. There is a certain allure Sovereigns have over other coins. Perhaps it is the history - I don't really know but something draws me to them. I'm a Canadian and I'd rather buy Sovereigns than gold maples or any other gold coin. This being said I really should add a Sovereign minted in Ottawa to my collection.

I do not have what most would consider a collection, but merely coins that I like. The first coin that I received as a gift was a 1939 George vi Canadian dollar. It sits on my desk half a century later. I would like to get my "perfect British sovereign" but it is a bit pricey.  I find the Maples very nice coins and am always reminded of hockey. Though I grew up in a place with very little ice, I still remember the sting of a hockey stick to my 10-year-old face. 

2 minutes ago, rivellis said:

I do not have what most would consider a collection, but merely coins that I like. The first coin that I received as a gift was a 1939 George vi Canadian dollar. It sits on my desk half a century later. I would like to get my "perfect British sovereign" but it is a bit pricey.  I find the Maples very nice coins and am always reminded of hockey. Though I grew up in a place with very little ice, I still remember the sting of a hockey stick to my 10-year-old face. 

As an 8 year old i remember standing to close to someone taking a shot with a 9 iron golf club, stood in the way of his back swing 😑

2 hours ago, shortstack68 said:

I like my coins with history, so it has to be British.

Its a pity America became independent, you could have had more variation with successive kings and queens and even a British civil war coinage, interesting stuff 😁

I have to say you may be right about that. My infrequent visits to the UK have always provided me with plenty of history as an added dimension to my observations.

British coins are mch more attractive than early US ones.. however i do like the modern silver eagle and have quite a few. But mainly stick with UK releases for capital gains tax exemptions.

Besides shouldnt this be the US flag

american-flag-grand-union-flag-early-us-flag-containing-union-jack-ADAM12.jpg

The US state flag of Hawai’i still holds the Union Jack, it was once a British Protectorate. Huge Scottish migration due to the whale trade.

36F2E3C6-9D6B-4306-95F5-066D43AB2966.jpeg

💷 💷 Check out my Wanted adds and message me direct if you can help 💷 💷 

8 hours ago, Coolsmp said:

British coins are mch more attractive than early US ones.. however i do like the modern silver eagle and have quite a few. But mainly stick with UK releases for capital gains tax exemptions.

Besides shouldnt this be the US flag

american-flag-grand-union-flag-early-us-flag-containing-union-jack-ADAM12.jpg

Perhaps the flag is more accurate, but at the moment I can't think of any sensible nation who would touch us with a 10-foot pole. We are (for now) quite unruly. And I agree with you about the Early American designs. When I was a kid I used to say that I could easily have drawn better designs. Having said that, there are some bright spots. I was given one of the silver eagles recently. Very nice coin.

8 hours ago, KitboyE17 said:

The US state flag of Hawai’i still holds the Union Jack, it was once a British Protectorate. Huge Scottish migration due to the whale trade.

36F2E3C6-9D6B-4306-95F5-066D43AB2966.jpeg

Hawaii is one of the US gems. Quite vulnerable though. I remember a trip years ago. I was walking through a cane field and happened to run into the owner. "Nice isn't it," he said. I agreed, the waving of the leaves and peaceful "alone-ness" was a welcome relief from the city. "Enjoy it. It's the last planting."

3 hours ago, Seasider said:

Back to the original question, from a design point of view I think the Indian Head $10 is my favourite - of course I have only ever seen pictures of it.

It is a beautiful coin, with good scale and proportion. I wondered why the obverse was so much different than the 5 and 2.50. I was told the designer used a "classical European" influence. And, of course, with the larger canvas, he was able to give the portrait a good amount of field space.

I buy mainly RM coins but over the years have taken a fancy to some US coins, the high relief gold 2009, 2015 and 2017, also some of the SA mint Natura coins are stunning, the detail and contour for example on the 2011 and 2013 is top class. I found the issue price of the US HR coins to be fairly reasonable for a high quality coin,

I guess it's whatever rocks your boat.

Why can’t we like both...I have a few 1oz gold coins from both sides of the pond, and like them all...that said, I do think the US have the more attractive coins on the 1oz front.

Regarding the smaller fractional coins, then the UK kicks the Americans ass big time me thinks.. for reasons already alluded to in previous posts...mainly history.(now climbing into my bunker)

The photo below ain’t great (it’s too sunny!) but make up your own mind.

BRITANNIA FANS....I have made a deliberate mistake in the photos of the Britannia...do you know what it is???

0CDF561F-B7B2-4F53-B18E-2B0D2B34D2B0.thumb.jpeg.3bf01b445e13652e04145cb159b88d2a.jpeg

1 hour ago, Kookaburracollector said:

Why can’t we like both...I have a few 1oz gold coins from both sides of the pond, and like them all...that said, I do think the US have the more attractive coins on the 1oz front.

Regarding the smaller fractional coins, then the UK kicks the Americans ass big time me thinks.. for reasons already alluded to in previous posts...mainly history.(now climbing into my bunker)

The photo below ain’t great (it’s too sunny!) but make up your own mind.

BRITANNIA FANS....I have made a deliberate mistake in the photos of the Britannia...do you know what it is???

0CDF561F-B7B2-4F53-B18E-2B0D2B34D2B0.thumb.jpeg.3bf01b445e13652e04145cb159b88d2a.jpeg

The 2017 Brittania does not have a dimpled obverse!!!!!

2 hours ago, BullionBuyer said:

@BullionBuyerHey...you might be a newbie but you know your Britannia’s ...I take great pleasure in giving you your first community reputation point!

For the less expert, established members I will explain why the photos are misleading..

Both are 2017 Britannia 1oz gold coins, but the photo on top is of the reverse of the limited edition 30th anniversary coin. The obverse underneath is of the standard Britannia.

The obverse for the 30th edition should look like this:-

5E6292B0-E4D2-4CC6-9242-1130EC189127.thumb.jpeg.5fe66e488d292bf641650a5e2f9af75f.jpeg

Glad to have you on the forum.

6 hours ago, Frost said:

I like gold maples (it's not strange as I'm from Canada) and Perth Mint coins - especially Kangaroos and Koalas. Yes, they have higher premium but the design appeals to me very much.

The Maples are very seductive. As for premium, I struggled with the low vs. high premium for about ten minutes, deciding that if the design appealed to me I was a goner. The coin was on my "to buy" list.

2 hours ago, BullionBuyer said:

I am starting to pay attention to the Brittania because of the fresh design. The UK continues to lead on many designs. I believe the UK puts real effort into the art. In contrast, stamp design in the US (US Mint vs USPS) is vibrant. Without getting too political, I sometimes think that the US is "racing to the bottom" in funding (and regard) of the arts.  

4 hours ago, rivellis said:

I am starting to pay attention to the Brittania because of the fresh design. The UK continues to lead on many designs. I believe the UK puts real effort into the art. In contrast, stamp design in the US (US Mint vs USPS) is vibrant. Without getting too political, I sometimes think that the US is "racing to the bottom" in funding (and regard) of the arts.  

@Rivellis Some of the Britannia designs are really interesting and very intricate. The only annoying thing is that the designs for the gold proofs, in recent years,  are different from the Brilliant Uncirculated. This can be very expensive if your collection is based on design type.

Too many beautiful coins. One dealer I recently spoke with accused me of "liking everything." Fair point. A gold proof of a great design is special. I tend to window shop a great deal but stick to key items on my list when purchasing.

I collect sovs mainly cause they are plentiful. Personally my favourite are the older American Gold, Latin Monetary Union and the top ties is Mexican Gold, especially the 20 pesos, although I haven’t got one. 

I buy whatever is the best deal, or appeals to me I guess. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

Archived