• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Pros and Cons of 0.925 Vs 0.999 silver

StackemHigh

A fellow worker after seeing a silver to gold chart i was looking at asked me the pros and cons of  collecting various qualities of silver and gold.

With more than a passing knowledge of different silvers, we disscused silver as a whole and i can see he is interested in semi-numi silver both 0.925 and 0.999

With an average spend of about £250 - £300 per month where would a beginner start to collect? I have already advised him to stay clear of the Royal Mint website due to costs.

Other than car boot sales where could somebody pick up second hand 0.925 silver in small quantities at a good price without delivery charges?

Got any 3d? [emoji1]

Yep, and the answers no.....................LOL

They are sitting in my 3d jar, until I fill it. Should take me about 10 years to fill it.  Got loads of these jars. Without the hot dogs of course.. ;)

TH66.jpg

I've got separate jars for each different GB .925 and .500 coins.  :D

The aim is to fill each one and when I do, they will be sold. 

I very much prefer to stack 999 silver and gold. It is straight forwards and amazing to behold. But i do have some old florins and other coins, varying from anything as low as .65% silver. It is all collectable. But as a stacker I want the solid stuff! :)

I very much prefer to stack 999 silver and gold. It is straight forwards and amazing to behold. But i do have some old florins and other coins, varying from anything as low as .65% silver. It is all collectable. But as a stacker I want the solid stuff! :)

You need to get rid of those crappy 80% round 50's mate!!!!

Stacker since 2013

If you like commerative coins and beautiful shiny, generally proofs, at a good price then buy .925 coins on eBay.

However if you want to build up a stack of silver for investment purposes then stick to fine silver i.e 999 or 9999.

Buy starting with Maples, Philarmonics, Libertads and Britannias - lookout for best prices.

Get a tube of 20 or 25 per order to ease storage and keep your shipping costs to a minimum.

Maybe add Pandas and Australian Lunars as time goes on to give you the satisfaction of a nice collection.

Even consider 2 oz and 5 oz coins for fun if the price per ounce merits it.

Before the year is out you might like to add a few gold sovereigns or half sovereigns if these can be bought at 4% or less over spot - HGM is a good start.

If you like commerative coins and beautiful shiny, generally proofs, at a good price then buy .925 coins on eBay.

However if you want to build up a stack of silver for investment purposes then stick to fine silver i.e 999 or 9999.

Buy starting with Maples, Philarmonics, Libertads and Britannias - lookout for best prices.

Get a tube of 20 or 25 per order to ease storage and keep your shipping costs to a minimum.

Maybe add Pandas and Australian Lunars as time goes on to give you the satisfaction of a nice collection.

Before the year is out you might like to add a few gold sovereigns or half sovereigns if these can be bought at 4% or less over spot - HGM is a good start.

Good post Pete.  Nothing wrong at all with your reasonings here.  Add the recent advantage of the almost VAT-free coins from STG and it makes it 20% better ! ;)

I am very much into the whole 0.999 silver esp. Lunars.

I know next to nothing about 0.925 and other silver alloys. my buddy at work seems to be very interested in the collection of 0.925 silver and was asking about the stuff.

E-Bay and car boot sales seem to be the only way forward in Scotland can't find a coin fair this far north.

P.S.

He wants to see the coin in person before parting with his hard earned!

Antique shops, junk shops, charity shops, gumtree can be worth a look if you have no coin shops locally

in my experience though it's usually overpriced or dross, a lot of the time both. I went to an antique fair and the traders were tripping - no price on anything so they made it up on the spot, little tubs that had already been scavenged for pre-47, was a nice day out all the same but using eBay would probably be a better resource for junk coins

have a look at SilverTrader's stuff

I think i will suggest noodling to him then when he gets something good he can go to a LCS or internet to buy the matching proof.

I personally noodled a LT underground train this afternoon. I may even get the proof myself now.

Archived