• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hand Poured Bars

colu41

So another question for any bar makers out there. My latest pours have been getting this bump in the center of the cool lines. I'm not sure why it's doing that.

k0t9c.jpg

Usually it would be concaved, not convexed on the bar.  Im really looking for that nice deep smooth pour line look. I don't mind pour lines but it seems at the center of lines I'm either getting these weird bumps, or kind of a spatter look.

I plan on doing a few 8 to 12 oz chunky bars, and am really looking to get as close to this as possible. 

169nx8j.jpg

Any tips?

My only thought is that you might have a small air pocket as you poured the silver and that has risen up before the silver cooled and then cannot escape.

Another thing might be the mold having residue on it and that residue caused bubbling to happen like I experienced here.

Although, mine eventually settled as it was a very big piece and then you had the concaved look. 

Not sure if that helps but maybe has something to do with it!

Good looking bar you made there though regardless!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Thanks BB. I'll check over my molds and make sure everything is in order. Any tips on cleaning them if they do have some residue?

And Mcgrimes, my pours are very quick and liquid. After the poor I actually have a little time to watch it cool. It just seems to leave this little hump.

I'm gonna get everything cleaning up and do another today and post some pics.

Thanks guys

Thanks Mcgrimes. No my crucible that I did this bar with is brand spanking new. Nicely seasoned and clean.

I'm going to have to get my daughter out here to help with holding the camera for me so I can take a video. That sounds fun.

I took a video. Just have find a way to upload it. Might have to use YouTube. But here's a few pics. 

2vir3ew.jpg

2csi1sk.jpg

34hz1oj.jpg

Turned out ok but still has that bump! My biggest thing with this is, with that bump, these bars aren't stackable. I love things to be able to be stackable. With the concave to most bars, they're easily stackable.

Since the video isn't up yet I'll tell you how I did this one. Started off with some skull melts that I had. Put in a clean ceramic crucibles. It was heated in my propane forge along with my graphite mold. The mold comes out nice and red hot. I then pour, with a Mapp Gas torch on the pour and on the bar until it has completely solidified. Now. This is a little different than how I did the original bar in this thread. I just heated the mold with the torch, poured with the torch on the silver, but pulled the torch off before the silver solidified. Getting the same results. 😕

Any clues guys? I may melt this again and try a different method.

Melted it 2 more times. First time I tried just hearing the mold with the torch, and the same when pouring. Same result. Then. I put the mold back in the forge, got it red hot. Poured the silver and then just let it sit. No torch, just cooling naturally. And I got this. Probably my best, flattest smoothest bar I ever got!

I'm going to touch up the spot where the flux settled, and then throw it in the tumbler.

j8ktu1.jpg

eikuxe.jpg

Thanks guys. Here's a few pics out of the tumbler. 

28w07bl.jpg

1zcer74.jpg

I think a little more tinkering and I'll get exactly what I'm looking for. I'm liking it so far.

Now just out of curiousity. I'm going to stamp this bar now. Ive always liked bars stamped vertically. Is there much interest in stamping horizontally. I know each company does it different, I just would like to know what most people like the most when looking for these hand poured bars.

1 hour ago, Bullionbilly said:
40 minutes ago, Bullionaire said:

Vertical would be my choice. Lovely chunky bar that! 

I agree BullionAire. I went ahead and did it how I usually do vertically. 

I love it! Will definitely be doing more. Another thing I've noticed is different quality, or even textured graphite leaves a different t cast. I make all my molds so I've noticed this recently.

14mvu3c.jpg

2zygd93.jpg

6 hours ago, Mcgrimes said:

@colu41 looks fantastic; I’m even more impressed you make your own moulds, are you CNC’ing?

Thanks! I have a standard mill. I just do all of my simple bar molds. Any specialty stuff I purchase elsewhere.

Archived