• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Question about 1989 Sovereign, Box, COA

westminstrel

I’ve been hankering for a 1989 Sovereign for a couple years now but just haven’t been able to afford one yet.

In reviewing my “search strategy”, I realized I’d only been considering graded coins or ones in their original boxes; as in, I’d been glossing over unboxed coins or coins packaged by third party dealers. 

So I was wondering whether anyone might be able to provide some insight into how easy (or difficult) it would be to acquire just an empty RM box and COA? And what one of these would typically cost? 

11 minutes ago, Gordon said:

A 1989 box and coa only sold on ebay last weekend for over £100 and i dont see them come up for sale very often 

Thanks @Gordon. I saw that. It’s crazy isn’t it. I feel like the auction environment can sometimes cause items to sell at inflated prices because it’s so easy to get carried away by the frenzy of the last minute bidding war.

6 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Really? I’ve never graded before and assumed it would be quite expensive for an already expensive coin. I’ll look into this too. Thanks!

You would be looking about $17 or $23 if you want it conserved if im not mistaken.

its not that expensive when you think a 1989 full sov is like 1k 

regards 

4 hours ago, Skelator88 said:

You would be looking about $17 or $23 if you want it conserved if im not mistaken.

its not that expensive when you think a 1989 full sov is like 1k 

regards 

Is that all? Indeed that’s literally nothing especially for a coin like this. I will definitely see about grading, and factor that in when searching for a raw coin. 

I’m in Australia so I will have to do some independent research I think. Sending to Numi might also work, and I will have to think about postage back and forth.

The UK Royal Mail does not accept coins for international postage to Australia. 

There are a few coin dealers in Australia that you can submit coins for grading for both PCGS and NGC.

See the link below to my coin dedicated YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC32DEmDzkaZCBTBVTDiYr0A

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

Is that all? Indeed that’s literally nothing especially for a coin like this. I will definitely see about grading, and factor that in when searching for a raw coin. 

I’m in Australia so I will have to do some independent research I think. Sending to Numi might also work, and I will have to think about postage back and forth.

It's $8 per form for the modern tier, you can have lots of coins on the one form, so for one coin that's $8 to start with, four coins on the same form would be $2 each etc.

$17 for grading, $28 for NCS + grading, $5 for capsule return if you don't send coin(s) in a flip instead, then postage costs and any currency transfer fees. Not so cheap for one coin, better to do a few at a time. Oh and $5 per coin for a special label, you might want the GB one there. You'll need to submit via a member or a submitting company of course. Numi does the group gradings on here as you know and seems to still love to do it (?) but incurs his own extra costs/time on top :)

There are a few good threads on here, just search for 'grading' or similar :)

27 minutes ago, kimchi said:

It's $8 per form for the modern tier, you can have lots of coins on the one form, so for one coin that's $8 to start with, four coins on the same form would be $2 each etc.

$17 for grading, $28 for NCS + grading, $5 for capsule return if you don't send coin(s) in a flip instead, then postage costs and any currency transfer fees. Not so cheap for one coin, better to do a few at a time. Oh and $5 per coin for a special label, you might want the GB one there. You'll need to submit via a member or a submitting company of course. Numi does the group gradings on here as you know and seems to still love to do it (?) but incurs his own extra costs/time on top :)

There are a few good threads on here, just search for 'grading' or similar :)

I was close enough 😁you’d think I would know by the penny but I tend just to pay the invoice without looking 

3 hours ago, mr-dead said:

Looks like your post pretty much cleared them out monsieur! :P

I wonder who grabbed the last one?

:ph34r:

Really good feedback all seemingly on coins so hopefully it'll come through as a good 'un, but at that price I think it's a bit of a steal :)

6 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Looks like your post pretty much cleared them out monsieur! :P

I wonder who grabbed the last one?

:ph34r:

Really good feedback all seemingly on coins so hopefully it'll come through as a good 'un, but at that price I think it's a bit of a steal :)

I noticed it disappeared shirtly after my post lol :)

Archived