• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1 oz Gold - Testing Gold at home

Abyss

I have recently had opportunity start collecting the 1oz Queens Beasts series in gold. The first two purchases (Dragon & Griffin) from Silver Forum member verified genuine by BYB acting intermediary.

I have now purchased 1oz Queens Beasts Lion from eBay. Before the purchase I exchanged number of messages wanted to confirm weight/seller willing to provide the original invoice and reason for the sale (unfortunately the seller recovering from chemotherapy and unable to finish off the collection). When I went to test the coin at a jewellery shop they wanted to scratch the coin :(.

Magnet test

Test weight 31.10 grams

Density test https://www.goldpay.us/specific-gravity-gold/sg-07-density-table/

Number of videos on YouTube explain all the above (thank you @BackyardBullion made a number of them). The seller Gordon123_uk and he is still selling and his 2017 1oz Gold Queens Beasts The Griffin Coin £1159 on eBay UK and several 2016 Gold Proof Full Sovereign Coin Box And COA.

Anything else I need to carry out to validate what I have purchased is 999.9 fine gold / 24 carat gold? Fairly confident but just want to cover all my basis. Thank you.

@Abyss

You will be 99.9% certain if not 100% if the dimensions of the coin are correct and they match one of your existing 1 Oz gold beasts. And the weight is 31.105. weigh the example coin you have and use that to calibrate your scales.

Doing a specific gravity test is easy enough and this will basically conclusively prove it is gold. Last thing you could do is take it to Hatton garden as if you were going to sell it, they can verify for you in the store most likely without having to scratch it.

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Magnet test = Passed / Test weight 31.10 grams = Passed / Dimensions of the coin = Passed / Density Test = Passed

18 hours ago, MancunianStacker said:

Could ask Jewelers if they have an XRF metal analyser machine/gun??? 

Not had the chance visit another Jeweler shop but for future purchases I will.

I hope don't mind Gordon but as new stacker I just wanted to be 100% sure what I am purchasing is the genuine article. I came across this video on YouTube pretty sad what happened to the restaurant owner in the story.

Gordon - I agree.  There are a lot of jewellers who want to use destructive tests rather than xrf.

It is important that everyone exercises due diligence, but at the same time, it is also very important to consider forum reputation.

I have used forum reputation to make some recent purchased and was highly impressed. Personal integrity on this forum is key   

best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Archived