• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

So, I have some BU Britannias I want to sell... best way?

NikolaAnne

As I said in my intro post...

I've been very casually grabbing a Silver Brilliant Uncirculated (BU) Britannia since 2012, as well as some BU silver coins like the £20 pieces, and the 1/40 Gold Britannia BU.
But the presentation boxes take up so much space!

I recently discovered the Royal Mint Bullion site, and realised that I'm really not getting much bang for buck with the BUs I've collected - so I want to change strategy, as I now want to collect for inherent value, not for numismatic effect... (Although pretty is pretty! ? )

I have no idea how to sell the PM I'm buying anyway, but moving these on will let me get some bullion gold! 🙂 I thought about taking them to the coin shop on Charing X road, but I'm guessing at a dealer, I'm not going to really get much over spot, if anything...
So, any advice on how best to sell the boxed Britannia BUs I have for the most value gratefully received!

With silver quite low at the moment you might be better holding onto them for a while. You're right that most dealers will give you spot or under, so selling on here or even ebay might get you more.

I didn't even know that you could get 1/40 gold coins (smallest I've seen in 1/20). I just googled it and you can!

12 minutes ago, Seasider said:

You could try listing them on the for sale bit of this forum.  Of course that would mean naming a price.

I'm not afraid of naming a price 🙂, I know what I've expecting, given what I bought for... Do I need to be a premium member to sell things?

4 minutes ago, Money2Metal said:

With silver quite low at the moment you might be better holding onto them for a while. You're right that most dealers will give you spot or under, so selling on here or even ebay might get you more.

I didn't even know that you could get 1/40 gold coins (smallest I've seen in 1/20). I just googled it and you can!

I don't mind holding for a while at all - it's more knowing the best mechanics to sell when I do come to do it,  as I'd like to get some of the BU premium back - the BU is essentially twice the price of the bullion coin to buy, from what I can see...

As you're in the UK you'd start a thread in this section and chose the prefix 'for sale'.

https://thesilverforum.com/forum/13-uk-europe/

Include info such as: what the items are, price, whether postage is included or extra, maybe photos, what the payment options are  (bank transfer, paypal friends and family).

I'd recommend looking at some of the other threads in the section so you can see how others have posted their sales advert.

Britannia's on EBay seem to go anywhere from £17 to £25 per 1oz coin. There are often lots of 5 coins or more at a time as well. It surprises me why they are actually being sold with that high price on EBay. Some coins are being sold with a higher price than you can buy from UK dealers where VAT is being charged.

15 minutes ago, KelvinM said:

Britannia's on EBay seem to go anywhere from £17 to £25 per 1oz coin. There are often lots of 5 coins or more at a time as well. It surprises me why they are actually being sold with that high price on EBay. Some coins are being sold with a higher price than you can buy from UK dealers where VAT is being charged.

I think it’s people not understanding where to buy from. eBay is not often a bargain shop!

Not my circus, not my monkeys

3 hours ago, KelvinM said:

It's probably the ease of use as amazon. Click buy and pay with PayPal. No registration or card details. So for a one-off low value transaction convenience (or lack of knowledge) make eBay a good choice. 

There is a theory that some people liquidate PayPal balances, perhaps where they have received an income but don’t want put it through a bank account and then have to declare it for tax purposes.  It’s the same reason gift and shop vouchers sell for more than their face value on eBay.

12 hours ago, NikolaAnne said:

I'm not afraid of naming a price 🙂, I know what I've expecting, given what I bought for... Do I need to be a premium member to sell things?

feel free to message me with prices you after and pics - may be in the market for larger deals if the price is right. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

If you want to know a price as a guide you should go to gold.de. It is in German but it is not too hard to work out. You can then search for Britannias. This will give you the prices dealers in Germany are selling Britannias. They are selling 'second hand' without VAT so their prices are pretty keen where there is competition in the market.

https://www.gold.de/kaufen/silbermuenzen/britannia/

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

If you want a quick sale then add pictures and prices on this Forum in the UK & Europe section.
If you price competitively you can sell instantly and probably be paid the same day.
As a newcomer you may find buyers asking for the goods before paying until you have a feedback profile.
However if you price too highly you may find it difficult to find a buyer unless you have a specific coin that someone is struggling to acquire.

Most stackers here are very astute and compare prices frequently and prior to purchase against the big players like GS.be, STG, CoinInvest, Apmex and many dealers in Germany.
Sometimes for a single coin or low value order it is worth comparing against some of our UK sellers like Atkinsons, Chards and others because of shipping costs.

You have to ignore the price you paid and price to the current market.
If you bought in the UK you most likely paid 20% VAT so that has to be written off because we don't pay full VAT buying from GS.be and others who use the differential VAT scheme. UK dealers may offer 95% of spot ignoring VAT.

If selling on eBay remember you will loose approximately 15% of your total sales price including P&P in fees to eBay and also to PayPal.

43 minutes ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

feel free to message me with prices you after and pics - may be in the market for larger deals if the price is right. 

@NikolaAnne this chap has been very reliable when I've traded with him ☺️

That said, I tend to come to the forum if I'm looking for a quick sale and/or can offer something at a good price. If I want profit I typically wait until eBay does one of its £1 listing deals, put it at a Buy it Now price (but taking offers) and stick it up for 30 days. It may not sell, but I can be patient, wait for another eBay deal and repeat.

Remember these are BU rather than generic bullion so have a slight numismatic premium, especially when provided with box, certificate etc.

Might be better to offer as one or more bulk lots rather than individually to minimise postage etc 🤷

25 minutes ago, PansPurse said:

If I want profit I typically wait until eBay does one of its £1 listing deals, put it at a Buy it Now price (but taking offers) and stick it up for 30 days.

There is a £1 listing on till end of day today I think. Its been a while since the last one. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

27 minutes ago, PansPurse said:

Remember these are BU rather than generic bullion so have a slight numismatic premium, especially when provided with box, certificate etc.

and for some years they have a plain background while the billion version has not - so that makes them more sought after.

Thank you all! 🙂 Not looking for a quick sale, looking for the *best* way to sell BU coins 🙂
I'm not in a rush to sell, especially as the spot price is so low right now, but I didn't think about the other end when I started randoming picking up BU Britannias! So, now I'm thinking about it! 🙂 

I should have said, all are in boxes/packaging with COA as appropriate, as I bought direct from Royal Mint - so for Collectors rather than for stacking (Cos when i started, I didn't think about this at all!)

That thing about a bulk deal isn't a bad Idea at all - 🙂 

I also just looked at my 2015 1/40 gold Britannia, and she's a Proof coin, 873 of 7500 - so cute and pretty! 🙂 
But I bought her for around what I bought a 1/10 bullion Britannia in 2017! (When I got a bit wiser) So maybe not such a good investment... ???

This whole changing strategy thing... interesting times!

Just now, Seasider said:

and for some years they have a plain background while the billion version has not - so that makes them more sought after.

One of the reasons I realised that Bullion might be "better" for investment is the Oriental border this year - cos they didn't have that as a BU, and as I think the 2018 bullion Oriental border coin is much prettier than the BU 2018 Britania coin (I have both), it got thinking about the whole thing!

Archived