• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Young? 30 something? Middle-Aged? Retired? Time Stacking?

Paul

Just to get an idea of the demographics & people plans ongoing. Nice now we have on the forum here that is building nicely in size.  

A small breakdown of current situation and a simple paragraph of plans/thoughts/opinions or any really.  

I'll set the ball rolling 

Physical Gold : 22.07%

Physical Silver : 39.82%

Allocated Silver Bullion : 38.11%

"Ive been stacking since summer 2010, aiming to build to gold these next two year so i have an even 50/50 split. The volatility of the past 18 months in silver makes me more incline towards stack more gold, plus silver takes up so much bloody room when you get into big stack size.

I have bought consistently every month regardless of price.  Have not sold an ounce yet and i am in for the long haul.  I use allocated silver bullion through bullionvault & goldmoney which i have recorded a few short term profits since 2010.  Not the past year or so since the smack down.  I have nearly 100% of all of my savings tied in PMs and figure the next 5 years or so should show a good appreciate to the upside"

Paul

:)

Physical Gold : 0%

Physical Silver : 100%

Allocated Silver Bullion : 0%

Ive been stacking for about 2 years, and plan to sell gradually during retirement as a pension top-up or for daughters wedding / university etc.

I'd also consider selling on a spike to buy cheaper later, or do a GSR swap if the time was right.

Stacker since 2013

Just to get an idea of the demographics & people plans ongoing. Nice now we have on the forum here that is building nicely in size.  

A small breakdown of current situation and a simple paragraph of plans/thoughts/opinions or any really.  

I'll set the ball rolling 

Physical Gold : 22.07%

Physical Silver : 39.82%

Allocated Silver Bullion : 38.11%

"Ive been stacking since summer 2010, aiming to build to gold these next two year so i have an even 50/50 split. The volatility of the past 18 months in silver makes me more incline towards stack more gold, plus silver takes up so much bloody room when you get into big stack size.

I have bought consistently every month regardless of price.  Have not sold an ounce yet and i am in for the long haul.  I use allocated silver bullion through bullionvault & goldmoney which i have recorded a few short term profits since 2010.  Not the past year or so since the smack down.  I have nearly 100% of all of my savings tied in PMs and figure the next 5 years or so should show a good appreciate to the upside"

Paul

:)

How are you so accurate in your figures? Are you working in weight or value?

via a super dooper excel spreadhseet, with weights, values, costs, grams, oz, averages, amount invested, profit loss, break evens and me also having far too much time on my hands travelling back in a plane from USA a few years back  :)

Physical Gold : <.5% = 9.6 oz
Physical Silver : 99.5% = 1754 oz

Silver to gold ratio 181:1
Allocated Silver Bullion : 0%

I have been stacking for around 3 years, I like the idea of selling it off slowly in maybe 10-15 years to supplement my income should I need to. It is primarily for the two granddaughters to give them a help in life. But I will be here for the long haul.

I used to buy it from my local dealer and sell it on eBay but decided I wanted to keep it all for my self (My Precious). I did only sell a small amount on the bay though. A fast learner.

Age 30

35% gold

65% silver

That gold to silver ratio of 65 to 1 is far to big.

Started buying PM's in 2009 after loosing £3200 in halifax shares and seeing Robert Kiyosakis speech on silver, I've been picking up speed the last 18 months after learning more about our debt based economy, never thought I'd get into semi numismatic coins, loving it! 

25 yrs old, stacking over 1,5 yrs

300:1 silver:gold weight :)

up to 90% of my SAVINGS

buying mainly silver and semi numis as I strongly bet on oz and GSR swaps

main reason is to force myself to actualy save to have a cushion - if I do not happen to need one, I will have something to add to retirement

Go on. I'll play! lol

Stacking since 2012

Gold 63.8%  of value -  10.09 Oz

Silver 36.2% of value -  272.5 Oz

Basically just stacking as an insurance against the great financial melt down which is right there on the horizon! At one point I had 4 1KG bars 2 half KG bars, a 1KG coin, loads of tubes of bullion - a total of over 15KG (482 Oz) of silver. Sadly had to turn a vary large part of that in to gold to get it back from Australia. Since started to add a little to both piles. Now it is in secure storage whilst I search out a new home in Portugal. Will bring it over here and start adding to it again once this project is less demanding on my time and money.

I did get sucked in to the "collect the series and this and that" jibe for a while, but have decided I just need lots of cheap silver. So doubt I will do too much more of the 'nice' stuff! lol (Although there is one coin, no make that two coins I just can't live without.) ;) lol

Silver 99.9%.

Time stacking 4months. Purchased about 200oz silver, just under half was for me, the rest for my family.

I keep almost nothing in savings or cash and have all my money in my business and whisky collection. The whisky is too large for me to stocktake and value but most of it was bought years ago when things were much cheaper. Two nights ago I sold this at auction.

http://www.whisky-onlineauctions.com/macallan-1951-single-malt-scotch-whisky-470.html

Not as profitable an investment as it looks as I have expensive tastes and can now justify opening something expensive.

I can't drink gold and silver. Its relatively lower liquidity makes a safer investment to have lying around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Age 37

Silver by Value: 61%

Gold by Value: 39% (by weight it's around 1.5%)

Been stacking 5 months.  I have 2 piles.  One is my own collection which would be last to go if I were to sell.  This pile has a high £/oz since it contains proofs and slabs. The other pile is stuff which I am holding and flipping.

For me it's mainly the collecting that keeps me interested.

I would say 20-25% is currently in PMs and I'm theoretically debt free.  Any debts which I do have are associated with my business.  I say "theoretically" because as a sole trader the debt relating to the business is mine and is my working capital.  My stock more than covers this debt should I need to/want to remove this debt.

from the replies thus far in the thread i am surprised at the number of people around my own age and younger.  i thought precious metals more the older, retiring, or retired.  my visits to my local coin shops only ever seem to be older people.

I also based this assumption of looking around in society and to the likes of the geordie shore/TOWIE mentality the idea of anything other than now/now/now me/me/me mindset who have no idea of the s**t-storm in the finanical world that is coming, as the holes in the dyke continue to sprout and the central bankers are running out of fingers to plug the holes

i have to say it is refreshing to see some young are awake and aware to this :)  i thought i was the only lone nut buyings PMs

it is interesting reading your post about buying whiskey as an alternative investment. good if you can know and experience a little niche market that you can enjoy, buy, hold, appreciate, flip, sell, swap, or heaven forbid sell at a profit.  Whiskey is not my tipple of choice personally but can appreciate how it has a serious collectors base

Aside from precious metals, i have turned good profits from music memorabilia in the past 20+ years, good profits made selling original concert posters, promo CDs, autographs. I have collected, flipped, bought sold and swapped these and still have a good chunk of cash that is just gracing the walls of my house and music room.

I have a japanese led zep 1972 concert poster in front of me as i write this.  Bought for £80 in the early 1990s.  Could sell today £300-£400  with a blink  :)

or a signed Queen II promo poster. £400-£500

.....gee, thats half an oz of gold and half sov isnt it !! DAMN!

or of course i could buy a new smart phone (!) ...smirk ! :wacko:

it is the fact, provided you buy 'quality' in whatever asset field you choose to collect and deal in you can nearly always protect your investment or profit from it

post-228-0-54877400-1409914007_thumb.jpg

post-228-0-68685300-1409914013_thumb.jpg

I think whisky is bubbling a bit just now. I'll happily sell bottles that have greatly increased in value to buy multiple bottles of equal or better quality. For what I sold the 1951 Macallan, I an buy 20 bottles of 1960's Bunnahabhain, hell, I even pick up malts bottled in the 1930's for £200-£500 each.

If your careful, you can pick up some of the best whisky ever made for sub £400. the Chinese can keep their overvalued old Macallans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think whisky is bubbling a bit just now. I'll happily sell bottles that have greatly increased in value to buy multiple bottles of equal or better quality. For what I sold the 1951 Macallan, I an buy 20 bottles of 1960's Bunnahabhain, hell, I even pick up malts bottled in the 1930's for £200-£500 each.

If your careful, you can pick up some of the best whisky ever made for sub £400. the Chinese can keep their overvalued old Macallans.

I posted the other week about investments and how I'm sure there are a lots of really profitable and interesting ones out there other than PM's, it's just we as normal folk don't generally stumble across them

Being wise to the value of something others can't see is plain view can be a real gift; knowledge is everything. 

I never would of thought or known about whisky being a profitable thing to get into.

Good to hear you're doing well out of it.

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

30 - something

PM's

87% Silver

13% Gold

Pension

60% Mining

40%% Oil

Stacking for TEOTWAWKI. I'm starting to feel as though the tipping point is approaching and the status quo has only 12-24 months remaining - maybe sooner. The escalation of events recently is a little frightening.

I do also have whiskey in storage along with PM's. (Johnnie Walker, Lagavulin, Glenlochy, Ardbeg, Lochside, Glenfiddich) been looking at Japanese distilleries over last few years but yet to buy anything.

Archived