• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

10oz Kooks - looking for advice and valuation

Goldhooked

In my eagerness as a beginner to add to my stack before I had any kind of plan, I got hold of three 10oz Kooks.  Although they are really nice looking coins, I've decided they're not really what I want to hold.

Now before I put them on the classifieds I'd like some advice and a valuation.

I'll start with the 1996....

IMG_4585.thumb.JPG.f933e707b7ab1ef6242d282159342940.JPG 

IMG_4586.thumb.JPG.869aca9d6a5dd12e5c9553a4e98b9288.JPG

I'm not sure how perfect these things are supposed to be but I've pointed out some 'flaws' I have noticed...

Not sure if these are small scratches or can been cleaned - I dare not risk any cleaning myself...

IMG_4584.thumb.JPG.1c45731aecea9b97d2b6c62d38c22520.JPG

On the edge there is some blue-ish tarnishing...

IMG_4588.thumb.JPG.2a60a42dc704b4d27090a07e90900621.JPG

On one of the ridged edge parts there are some marks...

IMG_4589.thumb.JPG.ec5392503871da0d707db005403c98f6.JPG

I appreciate this would probably not reach top premiums but could someone advise what I might be able to sell it for?

Current price in Germany shown below - circa £275.
Personally I think £27 per ounce is too high for a bullion coin so this specific coin would need to be seriously wanted by a collector.

Today you can buy a new 10 oz Kook for £163 from STG but their buy back price is only £127.
59f0a49376319_ScreenShot2017-10-25at15_42_52.png.ab41153220e732fa7e01e8eebb1d6d54.png

59f0a49b24d97_ScreenShot2017-10-25at15_46_36.png.bd161e56b103700eaac58f1f88eac2a3.png

I'd value that coin you show at around £200, the blue toning on the reeded edge is meaningless & doesn't affect value, the scratches do though.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

11 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

Having monitored eBay sale prices for a while, the older ones seem to attract more of a premium, not sure if that's due to lower mintages and/or age?  I just wonder how much of the premium I've lost with the flaws I've highlighted above?

With the randomness of eBay prices then I very much doubt these flaws will have any affect - bullion even if in a capsule.
You might strike lucky with a buyer but I noticed on this forum some 10oz coins selling at £150.
That kind of sets a benchmark for astute buyers but as said earlier this would perhaps appeal to a collector but timing is another matter.
Don't forget the 15% approx fees selling on eBay.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

With the randomness of eBay prices then I very much doubt these flaws will have any affect - bullion even if in a capsule.
You might strike lucky with a buyer but I noticed on this forum some 10oz coins selling at £150.
That kind of sets a benchmark for astute buyers but as said earlier this would perhaps appeal to a collector but timing is another matter.
Don't forget the 15% approx fees selling on eBay.

That was a 2017 that went for £150.  As mentioned, the 1990's coins do seem to go for a higher price no matter where you look.

I think you're right though - it's finding the right collector that's interested.

4 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

That was a 2017 that went for £150.  As mentioned, the 1990's coins do seem to go for a higher price no matter where you look.

I think you're right though - it's finding the right collector that's interested.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. I'm toying with the idea of a 2017 10oz myself because I want to get the price average down across my stack and they're lovely coins going for good value at just over £150 now, but I've re-watched @ShadowStack's excellent 'foundation' video again today and think for my needs/wants he's spot on - 1 oz is probably my best bet.

Not to say the market doesn't exist, I'm sure it does! Like you say it's finding it though.

1 minute ago, Madstacks said:

Just remember all the fees, paypal fees, and the fact you might get scammed on ebay. 

Buyers are very savvy here and want the best deal, so i am confident you will not get ebay prices here.

Beautiful coin though, good luck with your sale.

Thanks.  I don't expect to get close to prices being asked for these on eBay - I'm not sure even the ones listed on eBay for £360+ will sell at those prices!

I am comfortable with using eBay though if I need to.  About 25% of my businesses turn over is through eBay - we do a lot of business through there.

Yeah i am overly cautious with ebay to be honest, to get a sale here i would take the ebay completed prices that these coins have achieved, and knock 20% of minimum, with the ebay fees and paypal fees its pretty much the same result (unless you have some voucher for £1 max fees or something)

Those ones for £360 are wildly optimistic, one for £237 plus £11 postage in its original case did not sell so i think they have no chance.

20 hours ago, Madstacks said:

Those ones for £360 are wildly optimistic, one for £237 plus £11 postage in its original case did not sell so i think they have no chance.

I see coins listed on eBay e.g. item 331169080074  at over £800.
I have a tube of these coins but would be lucky to get £100 each if I put them up for sale.
Forget list prices on eBay; always look at the sold ones with actual bids to determine realistic prices.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I see coins listed on eBay e.g. item 331169080074  at over £800.
I have a tube of these coins but would be lucky to get £100 each if I put them up for sale.
Forget list prices on eBay; always look at the sold ones with actual bids to determine realistic prices.

Yes I know to look at sold prices.  There was a 1995 that sold for £370 in September.  However, most of the 1990's ones seem to sell around the £200 - £250 mark though hence why I haven't priced mine at the top whack prices.

Archived