• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Microscope photos: Silver Proof 1oz and 2oz Tudor Beast coins

1 hour ago, Petra said:

So putting things in to perspective, how big are those holes in the frosting 😮🤔🤔

Take the image of the Panther's jaw, picture 4.  The entire image is about 1.5mm wide by 1mm tall.  The frosting hole is just visible to the naked eye if you look for it.

In contrast, the Yale's tongue in image 5 is about 1mm long, so that image is about 5x3mm.  You can tell it is zoomed out as the frosting appears finer.

To be clear, I am not complaining about these.  Plenty of other threads for that.  None are visible without very close inspection.

I am more interested in sharing the images and learning.

Edited by Charliemouse

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

7 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

Take the image of the Panther's jaw, picture 4.  The entire image is about 1.5mm wide by 1mm tall.  The frosting hole is just visible to the naked eye if you look for it.

In contrast, the Yale's tongue in image 5 is about 1mm long, so that image is about 5x3mm.  You can tell it is zoomed out as the frosting appears finer.

To be clear, I am not complaining about these.  Plenty of other threads for that.  None are visible without very close inspection.

I am more interested in sharing the images and learning.

🤔👍actually great pictures, very interesting! I think if I had something to look this closely at coins it would make me paranoid 🤔😁

59 minutes ago, Petra said:

🤔👍actually great pictures, very interesting! I think if I had something to look this closely at coins it would make me paranoid 🤔😁

Sadly, the world we live in now is one where visible perfection isn't good enough. It has to be perfect at 5x to get that precious 70 grade. The step down in value to 69 is ridiculous.

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

9 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

Sadly, the world we live in now is one where visible perfection isn't good enough. It has to be perfect at 5x to get that precious 70 grade. The step down in value to 69 is ridiculous.

🤔that’s great, buy the 69s and get em out their slabs🤔😮😁

Just now, Petra said:

🤔that’s great, buy the 69s and get em out their slabs🤔😮😁

I do buy 69s because I can get real bargains.  But when you grade something new and it comes back 69, it's marginal whether it was worth the time and money.  The market only seems to want 70s.

Scanning electron microscope next please 🤗

6 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

I do buy 69s because I can get real bargains.  But when you grade something new and it comes back 69, it's marginal whether it was worth the time and money.  The market only seems to want 70s.

I know you know this but the 70 thing is about accounting, not about coin collecting. The premium on the 70s is for the money managers and rich collectors to fill out their spreadsheets. For an ordinary person there is no difference between a 69 and a 70. I'm sure you've seen this too, but time can often leave 69s looking visibly superior with the naked eye to 70s

If something is a 69 then it basically excludes the largest sources of capital in the market for modern coins, hence dramatic price inequalities between what is essentially two examples of the same coin that are indistinguishable with the human eye

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

Looking at any coin through a microscope will show up defects, there is no perfect coin at that magnification. You are lucky you did not see some moving mico germs of the person who installed that coin in the capsule.  

Never Chase and Never Regret 

35 minutes ago, Spyder said:

Looking at any coin through a microscope will show up defects, there is no perfect coin at that magnification. 

Exactly my point.

I am just interested in what these 'defects' are and how they happen.

1 hour ago, Charliemouse said:

Exactly my point.

I am just interested in what these 'defects' are and how they happen.

But are they defects? Will you ever get a coin at that magnification without any marks? With the normal naked eye these are normal everyday coins…. no ‘defects’. Naked eye see issues … fine, send back. Just enjoy your coin!🤔😮😁😁

44 minutes ago, Petra said:

But are they defects? Will you ever get a coin at that magnification without any marks? With the normal naked eye these are normal everyday coins…. no ‘defects’. Naked eye see issues … fine, send back. Just enjoy your coin!🤔😮😁😁

I think we are now arguing semantics (not where I wanted this thread to go, but there).

They are defects only in that they are imperfections, not intended or part of the design, but artefacts of manufacture.  Of course no coin is going to be perfect, so by that definition all coins have defects.

Other possible definitions of 'defect':

1. It can be seen unaided.
  2. It can be seen with a certain magnification (such as graders do).
  3. You can see it and care about it.

All of these definitions are subjective, as different people have different eyesight, skills and standards.

That's why I put the word 'defect' in quotes.

55 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

I think we are now arguing semantics (not where I wanted this thread to go, but there).

They are defects only in that they are imperfections, not intended or part of the design, but artefacts of manufacture.  Of course no coin is going to be perfect, so by that definition all coins have defects.

Other possible definitions of 'defect':

1. It can be seen unaided.
  2. It can be seen with a certain magnification (such as graders do).
  3. You can see it and care about it.

All of these definitions are subjective, as different people have different eyesight, skills and standards.

That's why I put the word 'defect' in quotes.

😮👍👍😁look forward to more pics 👍👍