• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Help Identifying A 1920 Sovereign Mintmark

Hi All 👋

Picked this up today but for the life of me I can not make out the mint. It’s supposed to only be minted in Sydney, Perth or Melbourne, but I can’t see a clear letter. It does seem to be a worn S under different angles but my eyes could be deceiving me, or being EXTREMELY hopeful lol 😂. Off course there could be a chance it’s dodgy and I’ll have to check it out later on my Sigma and scales. I’m by no means an expert on Sovereigns, so any help would be welcome. Please see the pictures. 

AAA1A0E9-4891-4CE4-8CD7-1FF5F02451E8.jpeg

4DDAF844-08AD-47FF-AFCA-03F575610DE0.jpeg

87BF2037-633F-4B45-8B00-0CF49D59C499.jpeg

5B18BB93-C2A0-49DA-9102-E661D0528529.jpeg

Edited by Organics

https://goldsovereigns.co.uk/1920sovereign.html

This info.on Chards might help. I’ve tried to enhance your image a bit, but can’t see any definitive mint mark. To me both sides seem to have been deliberately ‘Dinged’ in a well spaced out pattern. You may have to accept that this could be a fake….

IMG_0315.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

This info.on Chards might help. I’ve tried to enhance your image a bit, but can’t see any definitive mint mark. To me both sides seem to have been deliberately ‘Dinged’ in a well spaced out pattern. You may have to accept that this could be a fake….

IMG_0315.jpeg

I have thought that it could be a fake or at least a real sovereign where someone has stamped out the P for example. I’ll check it out now in terms of density and gold content. Thanks 🙏 

46 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

IMG_0315.jpeg

So all tests done and other than it weighing 7.85g (which can sometimes happen), all checks out. So I’m guessing it’s just the letter that may have been tampered with. Who knows 🤷‍♂️

36 minutes ago, Organics said:

So all tests done and other than it weighing 7.85g (which can sometimes happen), all checks out. So I’m guessing it’s just the letter that may have been tampered with. Who knows 🤷‍♂️

Just weighed 7 of my KGV Sovereigns -  which ranged from 7.97 to 7.99 thus an average of 7.98 on calibrated scales! On second thoughts 7.85 may be a bit low…..

Thanks for all the responses and help as always 🙏. I love sovereigns. It’s just a bit of a minefield and you need a fair amount of knowledge to understand what you’re buying. Learning all the time though 👍. Guess this is going back tomorrow 😟

2 minutes ago, Organics said:

Thanks for all the responses and help as always 🙏. I love sovereigns. It’s just a bit of a minefield and you need a fair amount of knowledge to understand what you’re buying. Learning all the time though 👍. Guess this is going back tomorrow 😟

I would have though it best to keep it. As you are learning this is something to keep going back  and to compare other coins 

Just now, pricha said:

I would have though it best to keep it. As you are learning this is something to keep going back  and to compare other coins 

Yes. That would be nice to do, but can’t really afford to do 🙏

Would agree. 100% fake. Too light for wear shown. Makes me believe this to be less than 22ct and closer to 19-20ct. 

Can not see it passing the Sigma Test for 22ct

Never Chase and Never Regret 

1 hour ago, Booky586 said:

It could be the angle of the lighting but the number 0 in the date doesn't look quite right. Your coin above, a Perth mint coin below:

image.thumb.jpeg.d8cdf60b96bb80c7dd830484813eb507.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f7bb8e33f785e07469874b74766edf60.jpeg

I noticed this, more obvious in this pic

SmartSelect_20240202_201803_Chrome.jpg

www.fyldecoins.co.uk

41 minutes ago, Spyder said:

Would agree. 100% fake. Too light for wear shown. Makes me believe this to be less than 22ct and closer to 19-20ct. 

Can not see it passing the Sigma Test for 22ct

It did pass on my Sigma for 22kt. Either way it’s going back 🙏

Just now, Organics said:

EA8CC85F-C46D-4750-8850-7F11E8C4A32B.jpeg

At least you know it is 22ct now.   Is the coin the correct dimensions?  It just seems too much weight to have lost if the carat is correct

Just now, Spyder said:

At least you know it is 22ct now.   Is the coin the correct dimensions?  It just seems too much weight to have lost if the carat is correct

I have one of those antique brass scales and everything checks out. Diameter, weight and thickness. I have digital callipers too but once I do the Sigma, scale tests, earth magnet and ping test, I usually don’t find the need to use it. I have compared it to other sovereigns I have and yes the 0 in the date looks off but other than that it looks fine. It’s the lack of mint letter that bothers me the most. Who knows this could be a one off London mint specimen lol 😂 

2 minutes ago, Organics said:

I have one of those antique brass scales and everything checks out. Diameter, weight and thickness. I have digital callipers too but once I do the Sigma, scale tests, earth magnet and ping test, I usually don’t find the need to use it. I have compared it to other sovereigns I have and yes the 0 in the date looks off but other than that it looks fine. It’s the lack of mint letter that bothers me the most. Who knows this could be a one off London mint specimen lol 😂 

It needs to have an oz Mintmark and it doesn’t and the weight is off I’m pretty sure it’s a cast fake, the fields give it away as well.

The Sigma won’t decide anything as it might be a 22ct fake.

Edited by Sovhead

Keep us updated.

Would be interested to know what the dealer said regarding the missing Mintmark and the weight. 

Was it a pickup or posted out to you? 

Edited by Spyder

3 minutes ago, Spyder said:

Keep us updated.

Would be interested to know what the dealer said regarding the missing Mintmark and the weight. 

Was it a pickup or posted out to you? 

Pick up. It’s my local coin shop. So he’ll have no problems taking it back. In all fairness he didn’t even check them. He received 55 sovereigns yesterday afternoon and put them aside for me to check this morning. 

2 minutes ago, Orpster said:

Seen one very similar recently, a 1922 with no mint mark

1922-F.thumb.jpg.1a37526964793f6a649847f67e125b35.jpg 1922-R.thumb.jpg.443ca0c465ec1eb865c96cf4e4cddd0d.jpg

Weight OK

image.thumb.jpeg.6e24537b100cab3f21e873e17901a3d4.jpeg

Tests well

image.thumb.jpeg.331a7cb664b6da610a9dc990f19a150f.jpeg

Were it not for the missing mint mark, would you even give it a second glance 🤷‍♂️

Yep, they’re good.

See that thread you started on Sovs to watch out for shields/G&D it would be a good idea for us all to start a thread of years to look out for that are fake as well creating a database.

i know there’s the possibility of new ones anytime soon but worth a thread of the years we definitely know of.

Bit confused here, if there is no Australian mint mark why was it bought as an Australian minted coin and as the colour of the coin in the picture is off and the weight etc. is correct what is the issue? Even more so if it was bought from a shop and was in hand and looked at.

what am I missing?

5 minutes ago, Petra said:

Bit confused here, if there is no Australian mint mark why was it bought as an Australian minted coin and as the colour of the coin in the picture is off and the weight etc. is correct what is the issue? Even more so if it was bought from a shop and was in hand and looked at.

what am I missing?

Only Oz coins were minted in 1920 so it should have either an S, M or P Mintmark it has none and the weight, colour and fields are not right.

You aren’t missing anything it’s a fake 22ct gold coin IMO.

5 minutes ago, Sovhead said:

Only Oz coins were minted in 1920 so it should have either an S, M or P Mintmark it has none and the weight, colour and fields are not right.

You aren’t missing anything it’s a fake 22ct gold coin IMO.

🤔😮well done! Should have remembered that,  haven’t   read my Marsh book in a while!🤔😮 from the pictures though I can’t see a worn mint mark, just no mark.

9 minutes ago, Petra said:

🤔😮well done! Should have remembered that,  haven’t   read my Marsh book in a while!🤔😮 from the pictures though I can’t see a worn mint mark, just no mark.

I can’t see one either.