• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Bugger! Missed out on a 1989 Double Sov

Can’t believe I missed this! Had it on my watch list and just logged onto bid after working out which sovereigns I could sell quick before bidding!

and it was sold for £1200! Pretty much £400 over a standard 2 sovereign!

I can’t help but think someone got a bargain

Was it anyone on here?

IMG_3983.jpeg

Just now, James32 said:

That's about right for a PF69, there's been a few recently in that ballpark, don't see why there won't be more.

What he says.

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

Thank goodness! What would going rate be for a non graded!? 

1989 for me at the mo is a bit of a grail coin as up until now I’ve only been paying maybe 10/15% over normal prices for my special dates.

I believe the standard sovereign carries a higher premium than the double. 

Just now, 9x883 said:

I tried for the 200th anniversary double, but luckily lost!

How much did that go for?

13 hours ago, SovereignBull said:

Can’t believe I missed this! Had it on my watch list and just logged onto bid after working out which sovereigns I could sell quick before bidding!

and it was sold for £1200! Pretty much £400 over a standard 2 sovereign!

I can’t help but think someone got a bargain

Was it anyone on here?

IMG_3983.jpeg

I see these go for around this all the time mate, ballpark seems to be about £1150-1400 for both raw and PF69 or less

Edited by Orpster

1 minute ago, cjbcomm said:

An ungraded proof 1989 double sold for £1100 on COTR auction today.

Interestingly enough a single ungraded proof went for £1800?

These prices seem about the right ball park??

They do yes, although I'd personally grab a graded PF70 full sovereign for around the £1900 mark

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

2 minutes ago, cjbcomm said:

An ungraded proof 1989 double sold for £1100 on COTR auction today.

Interestingly enough a single ungraded proof went for £1800?

These prices seem about the right ball park??

If I get the opportunity to buy a double around a £1000 I will be very happy! I’ll be putting out requests at the end of Feb!

5 minutes ago, James32 said:

They do yes, although I'd personally grab a graded PF70 full sovereign for around the £1900 mark

The design works really well in a double and a one off design inflates the prices I'm sure. Weren't exactly a limited run with mintages similar if not higher than other years. 

Guess the market dictates but prices seem heavy enough

6 minutes ago, SovereignBull said:

If I get the opportunity to buy a double around a £1000 I will be very happy! I’ll be putting out requests at the end of Feb!

With doubles cheaper than singles then seems a good buy..... good luck with finding a nice one for £1k 😗

5 minutes ago, dicker said:

I think lots are from sets that are broken up (sadly). Plenty of collectors only want the Sov.

Guess that explains the premium. Couldn't see myself spending £2k on a modern sov with such high mintage but the double about makes sense.... still a decent premium but a lovely coin in that size

Just now, cjbcomm said:

Guess that explains the premium. Couldn't see myself spending £2k on a modern sov with such high mintage but the double about makes sense.... still a decent premium but a lovely coin in that size

For me if a coin is too expensive for my pocket I can justify going to a half/quarter just so I can at least have one copy of the design in my collection. Oddly in the case of the 1989 the Double seems to offer most bang for your buck!

12 minutes ago, SovereignBull said:

For me if a coin is too expensive for my pocket I can justify going to a half/quarter just so I can at least have one copy of the design in my collection. Oddly in the case of the 1989 the Double seems to offer most bang for your buck!

Doubles generally seemed to be somewhat unloved. Will try and pick up a few this year if and when funds allow!

I love double proof sovereigns, but then I collect £2 coins. 😄

I had the luck of picking up a 2002 golden jubilee double proof (PF69 before I removed it from the slab and took it back to the box) for only £850. I'll definitely be looking out for the '89 but would be unlikely pay over £1k for a (nearly) 1/2oz coin.

Edited by Kitalon

30 minutes ago, Kitalon said:

I love double proof sovereigns, but then I collect £2 coins. 😄

I had the luck of picking up a 2002 golden jubilee double proof (PF69 before I removed it from the slab and took it back to the box) for only £850. I'll definitely be looking out for the '89 but would be unlikely pay over £1k for a (nearly) 1/2oz coin.

Doubles are my favorites' for sure.  Went a bit made and paid just over £1k for a proof 1989 but figured that wasn't too bad when the singles go for more 😁

On the basis there's not many years of bullion versions of the double then has to be proofs mainly but still think they're good value based on the premiums for single proofs.

I like a £2 coin but a shiny commemorative gold one 😉