• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Waterloo medal info

I’m after any resources to be able to better research the medal with a view to buying one. 

If anyone has any knowledge on this to share or resources to point to it would be much appreciated. Including price levels of different units and conditions etc as these seem to vary wildly. 

Aaaahhh😉

You won't get any original Waterloo medals. It didn't get produced because minting technology then wasn't adequate enough to impress such complex design on large blanks. Throughout history various silversmiths and RM made quite some replicas, in .925 silver, and in many sizes. I wound't pay too much over spot to be honest.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

They were definetly produced. Everything I’ve seen says there were around 39,000 and awarded in 1816-17.  

I’ve seen prices go from £1000 up depending on condition and regiment. lots of replicas too. This one sold at Spinks for £3500. 

IMG_3086.jpeg

Aaaahhh😉

@Agaupl I believe you and @SeverinDigsSovereigns are talking about different medals.

Like SeverinDigsSovereigns, I too thought you were referring to this medal by Pistrucci.

image.jpeg.844ba83de388192e7cf6a907cdaf19b4.jpeg

image.jpeg.a6c6efcd40453eb06190c961f58892bd.jpeg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterloo_Medal_(Pistrucci)

The Waterloo service medal you posted above was by Thomas Wyon.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterloo_Medal

Edited by westminstrel

56 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

@Agaupl I believe you and @SeverinDigsSovereigns are talking about different medals.

Like SeverinDigsSovereigns, I too thought you were referring to this medal by Pistrucci.

image.jpeg.844ba83de388192e7cf6a907cdaf19b4.jpeg

image.jpeg.a6c6efcd40453eb06190c961f58892bd.jpeg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterloo_Medal_(Pistrucci)

The Waterloo service medal you posted above was by Thomas Wyon.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterloo_Medal

I thought I was something like that. Something rang a bell somewhere. Yes I mean the actual Waterloo medal that was produced and awarded. 

Aaaahhh😉

7 hours ago, Agaupl said:

What’s great is the history that goes along with it. This one was awarded to a Thomas Chapple. 
IMG_3087.thumb.jpeg.21986a9e24079d5ccd7ad2154535516b.jpeg

IMG_3088.jpeg

IMG_3089.jpeg

As a result of the White House being burnt, it eventually became known as The White House as during repairs they painted it white to cover up the burn marks🤔😮

Yes the British burnt it to the ground in 1814 after a massive p!ss up. No one remembers the war of 1812 but it’s an interesting bit of history. 

I love how this guy helped defeat Boney, hoped over the Atlantic to burn down the White House, then gets shipped back in time to fight at Waterloo. 🤯

Edited by Agaupl

Aaaahhh😉

8 hours ago, Agaupl said:

They were definetly produced. Everything I’ve seen says there were around 39,000 and awarded in 1816-17.  

I’ve seen prices go from £1000 up depending on condition and regiment. lots of replicas too. This one sold at Spinks for £3500. 

IMG_3086.jpeg

Ah sorry I thought you meant the BP one. Pricing for medals are a hot mess. This medal you showed would get Details grade from NGC for being mounted. On the other hand, I've seen PCGS slabbing the ribbon with the medal and grading both.

Also medals have regiment names, sometimes receipient names, too. That may add to prices...

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

Just now, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

Ah sorry I thought you meant the BP one. Pricing for medals are a hot mess. This medal you showed would get Details grade from NGC for being mounted. On the other hand, I've seen PCGS slabbing the ribbon with the medal and grading both.

Also medals have regiment names, sometimes receipient names, too. That may add to prices...

Yes I’ve never bought medals before and know pretty much nothing. These should have recipient names. And the more interesting the story/ regiment the more expensive. It’s this whole mess I was hoping to research more to find out the details. 

Aaaahhh😉

13 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

Yes I’ve never bought medals before and know pretty much nothing. These should have recipient names. And the more interesting the story/ regiment the more expensive. It’s this whole mess I was hoping to research more to find out the details. 

I was looking for a Wyon's rejected China medal, then I realised I couldn't afford it.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/world-coins/rejected-medal-design-depicting-dragon-soars-in-sale.html

Edited by SeverinDigsSovereigns

Like all medals, once researched, the name (and regiment) can vastly increase the worth. If they can be got as part of a group then even better. The men who were in the Army (or navy) for some time quite often got around a bit, hence a nice group of medals then sells extremely well.🤔🤔

16 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

I was looking for a Wyon's rejected China medal, then I realised I couldn't afford it.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/world-coins/rejected-medal-design-depicting-dragon-soars-in-sale.html

That’s certainly a great design 🤣 how times change 

Aaaahhh😉

2 minutes ago, Petra said:

Like all medals, once researched, the name (and regiment) can vastly increase the worth. If they can be got as part of a group then even better. The men who were in the Army (or navy) for some time quite often got around a bit, hence a nice group of medals then sells extremely well.🤔🤔

Ive seen a few nice sets from the two world wars. Although I find it a bit uncomfortable buying such personal family history.

The waterloo medal is of particular interest to me though. As is many of the 19th century wars. Sudan especially. 

Aaaahhh😉

5 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

That’s certainly a great design 🤣 how times change 

Didn't pass even then for fears of frustrating the provokative losers. It never changed

Edited by SeverinDigsSovereigns

• 2 months later...

If it is based on this design, you would have thought the RM would have released it on 18th June 2025  - i.e. 210th Anniversary, rather than the 208 years 10 months and one week Anniversary!

Waterloo.jpg

2 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

If it is based on this design, you would have thought the RM would have released it on 18th June 2025  - i.e. 210th Anniversary, rather than the 208 years 10 months and one week Anniversary!

Waterloo.jpg

That's when the 5ozers will be delivered.

19 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

Waterloo.jpg

This medal was by Thomas Wyon, not Benedetto Pistrucci, and the RM seems to be wanting to fabricate a trilogy of Pistrucci’s work by splitting his medal into two coins.

On 12/01/2024 at 03:00, Agaupl said:

IMG_3086.jpeg

I’m certain there were medals the exact same on the antiques roadshow on Sunday just there guy had a few of them and different variations of clasp 👍🏻

Edited by Sovhead
Typo