• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

closed Stunning 1999 Kookaburra 1oz 999 Silver With Rare Portugal Privy

Nice I think I have about 25 of Korrabura coins in top condition of different years floating about. Didn’t know they were worth that much! :) … 🤔 anyone know where to find out the prices on the top sort after coins?

Edited by Silverman2U

3 minutes ago, Silverman2U said:

Nice I think I have about 25 of Korrabura coins in top condition of different years floating about. Didn’t know they were worth that much! :) … 🤔 anyone know where to find out the prices on the top sort after coins?

The coins with privy mark are more expensive, usually these are very low mintages (@1000-5000).

8 minutes ago, stefffana said:

The coins with privy mark are more expensive, usually these are very low mintages (@1000-5000).

Thanks @stefffana but is there actually a good write up? Or database where you can check the year and projected prices? @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer do you have anything like this on your website? You usually have some interesting articles there. @SDBullion do you have any links? 

1 minute ago, Silverman2U said:

Thanks @stefffana but is there actually a good write up? Or database where you can check the year and projected prices? @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer do you have anything like this on your website? You usually have some interesting articles there. @SDBullion do you have any links? 

I don't know, really.

The mintages are on Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Silver_Kookaburra , but I have never tried to find prices, because these coins are out of my area of interest.

29 minutes ago, Silverman2U said:

We do have some coins with Privy marks on our website but not this specific coin!

Hello all,
I have a 1999 Australian 2 Oz Silver 2 Dollars P100 "The Australian Kookaburra"  in original capsule.
The Numista Rarity index is 80/100
I'm not sure if it's a BU - 1923 Halfpenny Privymark  or BU - 1933 Shilling Privymark

Mintage: 1500

Does anyone know a price for this one?

Many thanks

Edited by Rares

The problem with privy marked kookaburras is there are literally hundreds of them.10- 15 years ago there was an Australian data base which had them all listed with mintage figures but it has since disappeared into the ether.

That was the main reason I didn’t collect them you would never know if you had them all.Within those hundreds of privy marks were specific sets for example European countries so you could complete that set they were 1oz specimen coins in a case,basically a bullion kook struck twice.

I had a few 2oz silver proof kooks with a privy mark & most of them I sold made no more (indeed usually less) than the standard proof coin.There are always exceptions as some collectors will know exactly what a specific coin is worth & if they need a rarish one they'll just buy it.

My advice to anyone starting collecting kooks is keep away from the privy versions IMHO it is just the Perth mint taking the pizz to get more money out of collectors. Something our own Royal Mint is adept at.

But as a collector if you particularly like a coin privy or no privy buy it.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

1 hour ago, motorbikez said:

The problem with privy marked kookaburras is there are literally hundreds of them.10- 15 years ago there was an Australian data base which had them all listed with mintage figures but it has since disappeared into the ether.

That was the main reason I didn’t collect them you would never know if you had them all.Within those hundreds of privy marks were specific sets for example European countries so you could complete that set they were 1oz specimen coins in a case,basically a bullion kook struck twice.

I had a few 2oz silver proof kooks with a privy mark & most of them I sold made no more (indeed usually less) than the standard proof coin.There are always exceptions as some collectors will know exactly what a specific coin is worth & if they need a rarish one they'll just buy it.

My advice to anyone starting collecting kooks is keep away from the privy versions IMHO it is just the Perth mint taking the pizz to get more money out of collectors. Something our own Royal Mint is adept at.

But as a collector if you particularly like a coin privy or no privy buy it.

Thank you @motorbikez, great info. I was just curious about how much it's a 1999 Australian 2 Oz Silver 2 Dollars  P100 "The Australian Kookaburra" worth, aprox
There are some for sale on ebay for 135 pounds, but I'm not sure that's the real price for it

image.png.9442e93dfbf6215465445bcde5c75508.png

Edited by Rares

1 minute ago, Rares said:

Thank you @motorbikez, great info. I was just curious about how much it's a 1999 Australian 2 Oz Silver 2 Dollars  P100 "The Australian Kookaburra" worth, aprox
There are some for sale on ebay for 135 pounds, but I'm not sure that a real price for it

Might be best to start your own thread with that question, as it will probably be lost on a completed sale. Clearly there are collectors out there who appreciate the rarity of this coin. Hope you find the information you’re looking for 🙏

2 hours ago, motorbikez said:

I think the panda privies (Chinese Expo) and lunar privies are pretty straightforward (not too complicated/not too many years released) and relatively easy to track and collect (?).

The 2018 year of the dog privy is pretty cool and unique for me as it removes a major part of the original design (the moon).

I have some of each panda/lunar (recent years) I'm keen to work out the value of and maybe sell some.

26 minutes ago, Organics said:

Might be best to start your own thread with that question, as it will probably be lost on a completed sale. Clearly there are collectors out there who appreciate the rarity of this coin. Hope you find the information you’re looking for 🙏

Definitely, and would love to see such a thread!

42 minutes ago, Rares said:

There are some for sale on ebay for 135 pounds, but I'm not sure that's the real price for it

image.png.9442e93dfbf6215465445bcde5c75508.png

I'd value that around £75‐£85 

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

• 5 weeks later...