• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Doubles Trouble?

9x883

Hi SF,

By no means an expert on sovereigns. Thinking of slowly building a graded doubles collection next year, maybe 1 every 6 months or so, preferably at PF69/70🤞

Couple of questions:

1. Which years to collect first?

2. Current prices?

3. Do these items appreciate with rising spot, or just whether they're popular, or both?

Furthermore, looking to start with modern designs, nothing before 1980. Although, if you suggest any nice designs, I'll investigate further.

Thank you for your time 🙂

5 hours ago, 9x883 said:

Hi SF,

By no means an expert on sovereigns. Thinking of slowly building a graded doubles collection next year, maybe 1 every 6 months or so, preferably at PF69/70🤞

Couple of questions:

1. Which years to collect first?

2. Current prices?

3. Do these items appreciate with rising spot, or just whether they're popular, or both?

Furthermore, looking to start with modern designs, nothing before 1980. Although, if you suggest any nice designs, I'll investigate further.

Thank you for your time 🙂

Maybe aim to do the special years first?  89/02/05/12/16/17/22J/22M/23 ?

In current market I’d guess you’d be able to source (ballpark) in PF70 for:

• 89 - 1800
  • 02 - 1250
  • 05 - 1250
  • 12 - 1800
  • 16 - 1700
  • 17 - 1700
  • 22J - 1100-1200
  • 22M - 1000
  • 23 - 1100

they tend not to be particularly linked to spot, more the demand for the design and the mintage plus general market sentiment but the special years have tended to hold their value and grow steadily over the long run.

Edited by Clockpuncher

7 hours ago, Clockpuncher said:

Maybe aim to do the special years first?  89/02/05/12/16/17/22J/22M/23 ?

In current market I’d guess you’d be able to source (ballpark) in PF70 for:

• 89 - 1800
  • 02 - 1250
  • 05 - 1250
  • 12 - 1800
  • 16 - 1700
  • 17 - 1700
  • 22J - 1100-1200
  • 22M - 1000
  • 23 - 1100

they tend not to be particularly linked to spot, more the demand for the design and the mintage plus general market sentiment but the special years have tended to hold their value and grow steadily over the long run.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge on the doubles clockpuncher🙏💖 All questions answered Thank you. Saved to my phone👍

42 minutes ago, cjbcomm said:

Doubles fan also.

Thoughts on collecting graded vs proof coins? Get the PF70 is a perfect coin but are PF69's worth the premium over standard ungraded proofs?

I think most, if not all, double proofs come from sets that have been split. So they'll always carry a premium graded or not. I might be wrong. 😂

1 hour ago, cjbcomm said:

Doubles fan also.

Thoughts on collecting graded vs proof coins? Get the PF70 is a perfect coin but are PF69's worth the premium over standard ungraded proofs?

Personally a fan of the proofs as you get the cameo which really shows of the designs (eg the 2012 Paul Day reverse doesn’t work well on the bullions but looks stunning on the proofs).

The 69s trade deeply discounted to the 70s and also I’ve seen them trade below the price of the raw coin as at least there’s some ‘hope value’ in the raw! For a value focused buyer the 69s will get you all the same designs for 25% - 30% less and look exactly the same to the naked eye. They will probably not be as easy to sell and not see the same appreciation over time as the 70s though.

6 minutes ago, Clockpuncher said:

Personally a fan of the proofs as you get the cameo which really shows of the designs (eg the 2012 Paul Day reverse doesn’t work well on the bullions but looks stunning on the proofs).

The 69s trade deeply discounted to the 70s and also I’ve seen them trade below the price of the raw coin as at least there’s some ‘hope value’ in the raw! For a value focused buyer the 69s will get you all the same designs for 25% - 30% less and look exactly the same to the naked eye. They will probably not be as easy to sell and not see the same appreciation over time as the 70s though.

Can't disagree with that. Struggling to see the value with the 69's if at a premium. Stick to the proofs I think.

Some decent prices on the recent bullion versions which they're now releasing individually rather than in proof sets

2 hours ago, cjbcomm said:

Can't disagree with that. Struggling to see the value with the 69's if at a premium. Stick to the proofs I think.

Some decent prices on the recent bullion versions which they're now releasing individually rather than in proof sets

I'm building a little collection of these from 2020 onwards, although just the ones that I think are the most significant.

So I don't have the 2021 and I'm not going to look for a 2024, but I think the 2020 (first bullion double for many years), 2022J, 2022M and 2023 Coronation doubles make a nice little collection.  I'd add anything special or unusual that gets released in future years.

I'd love to have a proof double sovereign collection and would choose 1989, 2012, 2017 and 2022J as the first four coins if funds allowed.

1 hour ago, Stuntman said:

I'm building a little collection of these from 2020 onwards, although just the ones that I think are the most significant.

So I don't have the 2021 and I'm not going to look for a 2024, but I think the 2020 (first bullion double for many years), 2022J, 2022M and 2023 Coronation doubles make a nice little collection.  I'd add anything special or unusual that gets released in future years.

I'd love to have a proof double sovereign collection and would choose 1989, 2012, 2017 and 2022J as the first four coins if funds allowed.

Sounds great. RM have some of the bullion versions at decent prices at the moment. Best of luck with the collection