• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hi 👋 

Sorry if there is a Topic on this already but Vodafone dropped 3% today and pays around 11% although this is likely to go down next year. Stock price is at 1997’s price!

https://www.fool.co.uk/2023/12/03/id-buy-vodafone-and-hsbc-shares-in-2024-for-their-spectacular-dividend-forecasts/

https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividendyield.py?market=ftse100&sort=yield&order=1

Just FYI I bought some stock at 90p thinking that was cheap, so might get some more at month end. Seems like a value stock today.

Any thoughts?

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

2 hours ago, MancunianStacker said:

Hi 👋 

Sorry if there is a Topic on this already but Vodafone dropped 3% today and pays around 11% although this is likely to go down next year. Stock price is at 1997’s price!

https://www.fool.co.uk/2023/12/03/id-buy-vodafone-and-hsbc-shares-in-2024-for-their-spectacular-dividend-forecasts/

https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividendyield.py?market=ftse100&sort=yield&order=1

Just FYI I bought some stock at 90p thinking that was cheap, so might get some more at month end. Seems like a value stock today.

Any thoughts?

Dividend is always great, just depends whether they consistent or do they stop it from time to time - to allow for growth.

Albeit seems like decent buy from long term view and all the analysts are rating it to buy at current price..

IMG_3345.png

18 hours ago, MancunianStacker said:

Hi 👋 

Any thoughts?

I am going to set up a 212 account for my kids I think and pick off some stocks like this as the UK is not as bad as the USA - its due a major correction & flat line IMO. They have a bank account with a pile of money my wife has let sit for over 8 years now!! She also has 20k in cash that she has held for a few years. You cant tell them :P 

Shall we all amass a list of the best dividend plays based on the yield and consistency over the years??
I use my ISA account for trading, so a new account would be good. 
My ISA is also full of stupid mistakes at-70% or so. ;) 

I dont look at the FTSE, how healthy is it compared to the S&P in the shadow of a monumental crash, we are all expecting? I heard it was undervalued? I guess my point is that as much as I get the 'time in the market' stuff, I dont want to make sizeable 'investments' right on at the cusp of a 25-50% retrace in value, especially in banking stocks and such likes. ;) 

Edited by Stacktastic

34 minutes ago, Stacktastic said:

I am going to set up a 212 account for my kids I think and pick off some stocks like this as the UK is not as bad as the USA - its due a major correction & flat line IMO. 
They have a bank account with a pile of money my wife has let sit for over 8 years now!! She also has 20k in cash that she has held for a few years. You cant tell them :P 

Shall we all amass a list of the best dividend plays based on the yield and consistency over the years??
I use my ISA account for trading, so a new account would be good. 
My ISA is also full of stupid mistakes at-70% or so. ;) 

if you want regular dividend that pays over 7% look at STAB, RSAB, both bonds and when eventually interest do start to come down, the price will also rise giving you both capital gain and dividends. A more risky bond paying almost 12% is IPF3. 

Can get all the info you need from here

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/corporate-bonds-gilts/bond-prices/gbp-bonds

Never Chase and Never Regret 

3 hours ago, Spyder said:

if you want regular dividend that pays over 7% look at STAB, RSAB, both bonds and when eventually interest do start to come down, the price will also rise giving you both capital gain and dividends. A more risky bond paying almost 12% is IPF3. 

Can get all the info you need from here

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/corporate-bonds-gilts/bond-prices/gbp-bonds

Will do. I am going to set up an account for my wife tomorrow as she is working now & she can set a level to add to her account. 

Nice to see Clencore in there. With a crash and recession coming, that should be hit hard!
But its a producer of most metals and stuff, including Uranium, copper & Gold. 
Whats not to like about that going forward into the next couple of decades!! 

Personally I did own some Vodafone stock recently. But sold for a small profit

the fundamentals don’t look great. But I can’t see them going bust any time soon. 
I’ll be interested in them at 65p per share. Only with a small percentage of a larger portfolio 

and as the yield is 11% can’t really go wrong 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Bumble said:

If you are looking at dividend stocks on London, it is worth checking out Rio Tinto (RIO.L), BHP (BHP.L), Glencore (GLEN.L), Aviva (AV.L), Woodside Energy (WDS.L), GlaxoSmithKline (GSK.L), British American Tobacco (BATS.L), Imperial Brands (IMB.L), Legal and General (LGEN.L), National Grid (NG.L), SSE (SSE.L), Land Securities (LAND.L), British Land (BLND.L), Lloyds Banking (LLOY.L), Barclays (BARC.L) or almost any of the major housebuilders.

Thanks @Bumble - I will definitely invest into a few of them if there is a decent draw down or crash, especially the first 3 of them! 
I personally am avoiding bank stocks like the plague, especially Barcklays as it has so much exposure to USA - it tanked in March!

On 16/12/2023 at 06:19, shawy2510 said:

Im pretty new to stocks & shares to diversify myself but my best paying dividend is Legal & General at around 8% which in 6 months I am up 11% & S&P VUAG up 13.44%. Just don't invest in African mines 😆

Screenshot_20231216_061923_Trading 212.jpg

Well dome with legal and general. 10-15% is usually my sell level on swing trading, but longer term L&G should be OK?
Difficult to say about banking liked stocks, dont know the company details personally. 

Gawd! Africa is largely one of the worst mining jurisdictions unless you really know whats going on at ground level.
I have 3 stocks like this between 60-98%, one of them has a grand in it. :( 

Personally I would cash in that S&P ASAP - I doubled up my 3x leverage S&P short yesterday. 
We can come back to this post in 6 months and see if I am right or not. ;) 
I may be wrong - as I swing trade, & have had that short for a long time. 

Edited by Stacktastic

I was going to leave them all for the long term & see how the fair. I am pretty new to it all & still getting the grasp of when I should take money or sell & rebuy.

Currently the better 2 I mentioned are up since I last posted.

Hoping to invest more into other sectors in the New Year.

Screenshot_20231229_133146_Trading 212.jpg

I'd not come across Premier African Minerals before. It is a microcap company (about £60M) and its assets are in Zimbabwe and Mozambique. That alone would make me run for cover. Some African jurisdictions are fine. I would say Botswana, Namibia and Morocco are investable. I would avoid South Africa, at least for the present. West African countries like Mali and Burkina Faso used to be considered OK until the recent coup/uprising in Niger. The Democratic Republic of Congo is an important mining jurisdiction but carries a fair amount of risk. Centamin (CEY.L) in Egypt is a company I have owned in the past: it used to pay a nice dividend.

Does anyone think Shell & BP may be a good choice at the moment?

Progress is a myth. Democracy is a sham. Dumbing down is real.
Throw your mobile 'phone in the bin, it will free you!
Turn your TV off, cancel your licence.
USE CASH WHEREVER POSSIBLE.

Just now, Earthmetal said:

Does anyone think Shell & BP may be a good choice at the moment?

Honestly I’m not sure, though the dividend is decent - I had BP, then sold my position yesterday to take my profits. 

I want to see how the energy sector plays out over the coming months..

• 4 weeks later...

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use