• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Petition Crown 2023 5oz Silver Proof Two-Coin Set

Arisian

Nope, still waiting. :(

Email response from the Mint on 05 Jul: "This item is being minted nest week week ending 14/07/23 and will be sent out the following week we apologise for the delay with this order."

I'm guessing that was a lie...

I received a message in late July that they are experiencing production issues and were hoping to resolve them this month (August).  I just want them to get it right.  Have my fingers crossed that it’s worth the wait.

Received this email today - RM pulled out of the 5oz set

Also, I do have an update regarding the 5oz Silver Petition Crown sets and It is with regret I write to inform you that we are unable fulfil your order.

A recurring technical issue with the 5oz coin means we cannot achieve the high standards we strive for. The business has therefore made the difficult decision to remove it from the range.

We understand this is a disappointment and as a gesture of goodwill would like to offer a special price on the 10oz two-coin set from the same range, “

So there will be no 5oz set at all? So just 2oz or 10oz silver and the largest size. Did they have issues with the 5oz gold or was it just the silver and any mention of what was the cause of the production issue, was it quality of finish or the edge lettering? I stuck to a 2oz silver, off to ngc with ncs as I found a toning spot on one, the other was flawless. 

My guy said sorry but no 5 oz silver.  Gold is softer so maybe easier to work with?

I also have a 2 oz set so I’m good. Leaves me with an extra £1000 to blow on something else.

Just got an official response:

"can confirm that we are unable fulfil your order of the Petition Crown Great Engravers 5oz silver 2 coin set.

A recurring technical issue with the 5oz coin means we cannot achieve the high standards we strive for. We have therefore made the difficult decision to remove it from the range. We understand this is a disappointment and as a gesture of goodwill would like to offer a special price on the 10oz two-coin set from the same range, at £1916 (a £480 reduction in RRP). These are limited to only 150 sets. Alternatively, we can also offer a 2oz silver two-coin set, again from the same range at £535 (a £30 reduction in RRP), limited to 3250 sets."

I'm not really interested in either the 2oz or 10oz, so asked for a refund :(

This is c**p. Having ordered it in March and waited this long for it, I would expect some sort of formal communication?!

I emailed them just last week and they said nothing about cancellation of the 5Oz.

The whole reason I like the 5 Oz was its the only silver coin that the edge lettering fills the edge, like the original looked. The others just look strange to me with a little band down the middle.

I can't afford the gold, so I quess that's it for me. 

Why are they selling coins they haven't even manufactured yet, or wont for months?

Just now, Kvasir said:

The whole reason I like the 5 Oz was its the only silver coin that the edge lettering fills the edge, like the original looked.

Yup, same here. I didn't like how the other sizes looked.

1 minute ago, Kvasir said:

I would expect some sort of formal communication?!

I emailed them for an update, based on what I read here.

They certainly haven't communicated anything to me yet either. This is a big disappointment.

But it's really strange, they can make a 2oz and a 10oz but not a 5? Really?

How many 10oz were minted. Not enough to cover all the people who bought 5oz I'm sure.

But we do have a contract with them which one assumes has some basis in law? Under which part of their terms and conditions are they cancelling?

Additionally they've had use of half a million pounds of our money for 6 months I don't see walking away after that time simply saying sorry is enough.

I feel your frustration, but I doubt as individuals we have the clout to move the RM. They offered token discounts on 2oz and 10oz, but I think that will be the extent of their action.

Maybe try for a small personal gesture/discount on a future issue.  

25 minutes ago, Sc391 said:

I feel your frustration, but I doubt as individuals we have the clout to move the RM. They offered token discounts on 2oz and 10oz, but I think that will be the extent of their action.

Maybe try for a small personal gesture/discount on a future issue.  

Have they though? It doesn't sound like they have actually officially contacted anyone!? Ridiculous isn't it.

Why should we keep contacting them for any scraps of information.

When they actually decide to tell me I'll ask for a refund.

👍

4 hours ago, Arisian said:

But we do have a contract with them which one assumes has some basis in law? Under which part of their terms and conditions are they cancelling?

Additionally they've had use of half a million pounds of our money for 6 months I don't see walking away after that time simply saying sorry is enough.

As they have had it for over 6 months, doesn't this mean you are entitled to the initial amount plus a bonus in the form of interest accumulated on this money whilst they have held it at current BofE rates? They should at least be giving you a juicy return for your money you paid them. 

The order will simply disappear from your account (poof, like magic) and a credit will be issued.  That’s what happened to mine on Monday.

update: received a full refund to my card today (Wednesday)

Edited by Sc391
Update

• 2 weeks later...

@Arisian I’m a fan of the RM but I have to admit it’s pretty weak that they have yet to inform you.  The decision was a few weeks ago and they only sold a few hundred sets so the notification and refund process should have been quite easy.  Give them a call or email and force the issue.