• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1905 Shilling

DTL1982

Any shilling experts out there know if this coin is commonly faked?  It’s the rarest of the 20th century silver shillings so I’m leary about a price of $60 usd when it appears to be in decent condition. The pictures look okay to me but I’m a novice compared to many on this forum so I’d appreciate any options. 

IMG_0425.jpeg

IMG_0426.jpeg

Never easy to tell purely from pictures, I've looked at this three times now and I'd like to think it's genuine... BUT I have a sense of unease about it. For me, with a coin that is clearly worn, the date seems very bold. Usually with these, the last two digits would be showing wear in this grade. It's normally a, "is it an 03 or an 05 dilemma" - this coin doesn't do that, the 05 is so strong. So what you have here is either a very well struck coin that is worn or a possible fake.

I'm erring more towards the genuine, but I wouldn't like to swear on it in court.

I'm selling a 1905 at this moment on ebay in similar condition.  The coin shown looks fine but probably worth not much more than £30. I've had a few over the years. I'd love a about uncirculated but you'd be talking £1000s.  If someone wanted to put time , cost and energy in creating a good fake , they wouldn't be bothered with a 30 quid worn coin. 

Edited by pricha

7 hours ago, Happypanda88 said:

Yikes!  The price being that low would make me suspicious but I’m glad this seller was honest. 

6 hours ago, SidS said:

Never easy to tell purely from pictures, I've looked at this three times now and I'd like to think it's genuine... BUT I have a sense of unease about it. For me, with a coin that is clearly worn, the date seems very bold. Usually with these, the last two digits would be showing wear in this grade. It's normally a, "is it an 03 or an 05 dilemma" - this coin doesn't do that, the 05 is so strong. So what you have here is either a very well struck coin that is worn or a possible fake.

I'm erring more towards the genuine, but I wouldn't like to swear on it in court.

Thanks for taking a look. I appreciate it. I’m still on the fence about pulling the trigger. 

5 hours ago, pricha said:

I'm selling a 1905 at this moment on ebay in similar condition.  The coin shown looks fine but probably worth not much more than £30. I've had a few over the years. I'd love an about uncirculated but you'd be talking £1000s.  If someone wanted to put time , cost and energy in creating a good fake , they wouldn't be bothered with a 30 quid worn coin. 

I tend to agree on the point of why would someone bother faking a coin in a lower grade but who knows why people do some of the things they do haha. This one is also on eBay and is on the lower end price-wise of current listings. NGC price guide has this coin at $50 for good and $100 for VG and this is listed at the midpoint between those.

2 hours ago, SidS said:

There are fake 'worn looking coins' on eBay though! Is a relatively recent development. It's a scary development too.

That is scary , but I'm sure the coin shown is genuine. No problems there.   Early Victoria crowns always make me weary.  Genuine coins In good condition look sort of fake. It's a minefield unless you can see them in the flesh,  buy slabbed or from a reputable dealer. 

4 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

Nothing about it screams fake to me, so I would presume it was genuine.

I have one in similar condition - photos for comparison below, if it helps:

M Shilling 1905.jpg

Thanks!  Does the top of the five curl up on yours or is it the lighting?  The example I posted seems to have a more level top to the five. Or I could just be imagining things lol. 

22 hours ago, DTL1982 said:

Any shilling experts out there know if this coin is commonly faked?  It’s the rarest of the 20th century silver shillings so I’m leary about a price of $60 usd when it appears to be in decent condition. The pictures look okay to me but I’m a novice compared to many on this forum so I’d appreciate any options. 

IMG_0425.jpeg

IMG_0426.jpeg

I also think there is problem free, if all measurements and weights are qualified.  I am still looking for a decent 1905 shilling to add to my collection.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/08/2023 at 04:04, DTL1982 said:

IMG_0425.jpeg

IMG_0426.jpeg

Numerous fakes and they’re easy to spot the Edward head looks very dodgy as per this eBay crank…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284693385535?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=6UE7nOkwTTe&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=yvjAM_HqRB-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY