• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

31 minutes ago, REILsilver said:

What services are the best to use when it comes to coin grading? And what sort of cost per coin would I be looking at, if I did decide to send some in?

I'm your local NGC grading expert, you are asking a very wide question thats very difficult to answer due to endless options.  

Which ones to use?  The main two theres more but will use NGC and PCGS in this explanation.  This depends on several factors for you to consider where are you based, where are you buying and sell your coins.    

NGC has dominated North America, UK and many parts of the Europe, where PCGS is far more popular in the East Asia and Australia.  

2 where the submissions office, for me this was the killer question.  NGC have an office in London that I visit 2-3 times per month and can post within the country using RMSD.  closest PCGS is based in Paris no way was I shipping my coins outside the UK only for those lovely people to block the ports, air traffic control and I can't get my coins back for months......Nothing against the French honestly.

Talking of months its widely known PCGS are having issues and it's taking 6-7 months in some cases to get coins returned, this is not always the case but the sorts of times I'm hearing from friends who use them. 

Cost?.....what coin, what value, what label, what services, everything costs. a modern proof or bullion post 1965 with NGC conservation id £65 not loads.  Some coins can cost hundreds to "slab" and conserve due to the value of the coin.  

If you  have any questions you can PM me.  I'm not the cheapest but for the odd quid more I will look after you and do the work for you.   

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

A lot of people choose to use a grading intermediary such as @GoldDiggerDave or @CoinsOfTheRealmAuctions or Matthew Smith (he's on Facebook). I have not tried doing it myself and personally use Matthew Smith for value for money though if you are grading multiple coins at once it may be cheaper to do it yourself.

While PCGS have very long turnarounds and arguably less popular, NGC is also 3-4 months turnaround typically.

NGC also make mistakes on labels, and most frustratingly, rarely put the coin dead straight in the holder!!

Cost for most coins I've graded (modern, gold/silver, value up to £2500) has been £35 per coin including conservation and £65 for higher value coins. 

7 minutes ago, REILsilver said:

This would definitely trigger me lol.

We do deal with the human element and both the NGC and PCGS get it wrong at times, PCGS are struggling with a number of issues due to internal changes. 

I’ve had coins labeled wrong recently, I track my submission and can download images of the coins and got them to change it. 

I’ve submitted a coin with the wrong label (only one) and I held my hand up did not BS anyone and got it sorted. 

If coins are out of alignment they do fix it, had this with my own £5 sov, for me I will work closely with the grading company rather than just kicking off like a brat when something is not right, where I have had issues the NGC have always helped and put right, this is where having a submission office you can go into a talk with them is a real benefit for me. 

13 minutes ago, REILsilver said:

This would definitely trigger me lol.

Not sure why you have cut my quote like that. The intermediary has no control over the straightness of the coin in the holder! 

NGC is not flawless but I will only use them for the shorter turnaround and the fact that around 90% of graded coins on the market seem to be by them

3 hours ago, arphethean said:

Not sure why you have cut my quote like that. The intermediary has no control over the straightness of the coin in the holder! 

NGC is not flawless but I will only use them for the shorter turnaround and the fact that around 90% of graded coins on the market seem to be by them

Bad signal making things go weird, sorry.

@REILsilver  Hello - and thank you @arphethean for the add. We are authorised dealers of NGC & you can find all your information about our service here on the forum or via our website at : www.coinsoftherealm.com - under grading. Any questions just call our handy free phone number on 0800 169 1066. We are also listed on the NGC website under Harlow, Essex. I think you'll find us competitive.

Kind regards

Louise

Ps LOL don't ask me why that authorised label has become so BBBBIG!!

NGC_AuthorizedDealerLogos_Download_766x505.jpg