• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

closed Wanted - Good condition 1970 Sovereign

Just now, andrewse said:

The good folks over at chards can enlighten.... basically no royal mint ones... along with a bunch of other years.....

https://www.chards.co.uk/1970-gold-full-sovereign-coin-elizabeth-ii/12389

Thanks buddy. Basically my wife died in January. Her birth year…1970. No worries, thanks for the sensible response and not laughing. 

5 minutes ago, FourNinesFine said:

I'd imagine if there's one to be found for you... this may just be the place. 

Good luck. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Thanks so much buddy. It appears the Mint didn’t do any that year! I’d hoped to get one for her, my son and I. New plan me thinks. 

29 minutes ago, lst65 said:

Thanks buddy. Basically my wife died in January. Her birth year…1970. No worries, thanks for the sensible response and not laughing. 

Sorry to read this @lst65  will keep an eye out for anything special from 1970 and give you a shout if something crops up 👍🏼

7 minutes ago, JamesH said:

Sorry to read this @lst65  will keep an eye out for anything special from 1970 and give you a shout if something crops up 👍🏼

Thanks James - really appreciate that. I’d purchased one for my son and I but just didn’t realise the Mint didn’t produce sovereigns in certain years. No Brits either as they didn’t Mint until 1987. She was French so maybe some French coins. 🙏

42 minutes ago, lst65 said:

Oh no, so sorry and very sad to hear this buddy, wishing you all power, strength and very best wishes to you and your son at this most difficult of times ❤️

We will try to find you something special 🙏

1 minute ago, kimchi said:

Oh no, so sorry and very sad to hear this buddy, wishing you all power, strength and very best wishes to you and your son at this most difficult of times ❤️

We will try to find you something special 🙏

Oh wow - people are very kind. I was trying to fly under the radar and only wanted a little ol’ sovereign 😊🙏

1 hour ago, lst65 said:

Enlighten me please? Special year? 

No sovereigns were minted between 1969 and 1973.  If you want something for the year, you could maybe look for one from 50 or 100 years previously.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

8 hours ago, lst65 said:

Hi folks - looking to buy a very good condition 1970 gold sovereign.

Thank you. 🙏

Sorry to hear. There were no sovs minted in 1970, out of the modern bullion coins the 1 Oz Krugerrand was minted then 🤔

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/info/sovereign-mintages#Victoria

2 hours ago, modofantasma said:

Sorry to hear. There were no sovs minted in 1970, out of the modern bullion coins the 1 Oz Krugerrand was minted then 🤔

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/info/sovereign-mintages#Victoria

Thanks buddy. 🙏

8 hours ago, Spyder said:

Sorry to here of your loss. If you want a 1970 gold coin that is exactly the size and weight of a sovereign, then try and find a gold 2 rand. It is from South African Mint. 

Thank you 🙏 

Hi, @lst65.

I am sorry for your loss and I will pray for your wife's peace in Heaven.

As you have already seen, there are not many gold coins issued in 1970, but you can still find something similar to british sovereign.

Have a look at this coin with the same specifications as sovereign: 7.98g, .917 gold, issued in 1970 in Switzerland on behalf of Bhutan's Government: 

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces25037.html.

As you know already, Bhutan is a tibetan country, sub-himalayan, the best place in the world for finding the inner peace.

This coin is for sale on Ebay now with a starting bid of @£380 plus shipping. The seller is a business one from Netherlands and he can ship to UK.

See https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bhutan-1-Sertum-8-1-G-Jigme-Dorji-1970-Gold-UNC/404252353419?_trkparms=amclksrc=ITM&aid=777008&algo=PERSONAL.TOPIC&ao=1&asc=20220705100511&meid=2710e60047b74dcc88ff2467483b1ccb&pid=101524&rk=1&rkt=1&itm=404252353419&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2380057&algv=RecentlyViewedItemsV2,pageci:846d55db-e01b-11ed-bfe6-f2e15e4f95df|parentrq:a2da56af1870ad3462a21e06fffdc0e4|iid:1&_trksid=p2380057.c101524.m146925&pageci=33a0b62a-9c64-40e3-a4ed-4fa178553e6c&redirect=mobile.

I wish you all the best!

Stefan.

• 5 weeks later...