• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign v 2 Rand

Organics

I have recently stepped out of my stacking comfort zone of buying 999 gold and purchased 10 full Sovereigns. I’m not a collector……yet 🤦‍♂️, and I know getting involved in Sovereigns can be very addictive, with all the different variations etc. I also notice that most of the Sovereigns I bought had a mintage of between 5-8 million per year. 

So my question is, what are your thoughts on the 2 Rand Coin? Same dimensions as the sovereign, same weight and same purity, but yet from my basic research mintage was around 10,000 per year. A fraction of the sovereigns produced. Does this make them more sought after? and are there collectors for 2 Rand coins? Premiums seem to be much the same as sovereigns but yet they are far more scarce. Is there a reason for this? 

Thoughts please 🙏

21 minutes ago, Solachesis said:

Not CGT free, basically no advantage to having them over a sovereign. They are cool though. The earlier portraits are more desirable than Beethoven 

If you have mainly sovereigns no harm in having a few equivalents in the stack, just don't go foreign heavy

Does the fact that they have a much lower mintage make no difference? 

5 minutes ago, Organics said:

Does the fact that they have a much lower mintage make no difference? 

Only to someone who collects them I guess, I personally wouldn't pay the same for a rand coin than a sovereign because of the mintage figure, If I did it would be because of the condition/portrait

1 minute ago, Solachesis said:

Only to someone who collects them I guess, I personally wouldn't pay the same for a rand coin than a sovereign because of the mintage figure, If I did it would be because of the condition/portrait

Fair enough 🙏

52 minutes ago, Solachesis said:

Not CGT free, basically no advantage to having them over a sovereign. They are cool though. The earlier portraits are more desirable than Beethoven 

If you have mainly sovereigns no harm in having a few equivalents in the stack, just don't go foreign heavy

Thank you for your advice. I’m looking to spend 5k and after what you’ve said, I may just buy another 10/11 Sovereigns. Are their any you would recommend I buy. I’m not a collector but like the look of the shield ones. However I notice they are more desirable and therefore slightly higher premiums. The ones I have date between 1958-1966. 

Just now, Organics said:

Thank you for your advice. I’m looking to spend 5k and after what you’ve said, I may just buy another 10/11 Sovereigns. Are their any you would recommend I buy. I’m not a collector but like the look of the shield ones. However I notice they are more desirable and therefore slightly higher premiums. The ones I have date between 1958-1966. 

Plenty of nice ones pop up, it is worth it to be somewhat picky with what you grab, whilst all their gold content is the same, coins with less wear always move easier and can fetch a better price.

Gillicks are popular, the first portrait of Elizabeth, young head Vics and shields too. Nice examples of George's, Edwards and jubilee/old Vics will have buyers, same with Machin sovereigns (qe2 2nd portrait) 

I'd not splash it all at once on the next listing with 10 sovereigns, unless they were all absolute stunners at a very good price, but average it out. See what you like, and buying at different times averages out your cost

11 minutes ago, Solachesis said:

Plenty of nice ones pop up, it is worth it to be somewhat picky with what you grab, whilst all their gold content is the same, coins with less wear always move easier and can fetch a better price.

Gillicks are popular, the first portrait of Elizabeth, young head Vics and shields too. Nice examples of George's, Edwards and jubilee/old Vics will have buyers, same with Machin sovereigns (qe2 2nd portrait) 

I'd not splash it all at once on the next listing with 10 sovereigns, unless they were all absolute stunners at a very good price, but average it out. See what you like, and buying at different times averages out your cost

11 minutes ago, Solachesis said:

Great advice. Thank you 🙏