• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

3D printed custom coin tubed

Just now, Fenlander1 said:

I have no 1/2s buddy sorry

no worries dude. I'll blag someone into owning my test jig when it's done lol

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants, and debt is the money of slaves

2 minutes ago, SiCole said:

Fusion 360, Cura and printing is quite addictive when you have time :) Good work so far bud.

cheers mate. Just looking to help people out on tsf. it's been a great experience so far. give me a shout if you have an ideas for designs. currently working on coin tubes and a sovereign gauge/checker/tester (not really sure what you'd call it). it might all go nowhere, but it feeds my mind adequately lol

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants, and debt is the money of slaves

I think most people have a Vernier instead of samples. You’ll never need to go outside of .00. 
If you do, I have a laser thingys you engineers might know a bit about….

49C15A09-1C2B-41AD-AE98-9B567BF5DDEC.jpeg

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

7 minutes ago, NGMD said:

I think most people have a Vernier instead of samples. You’ll never need to go outside of .00. 

A member has suggested a pocket size tester for sovs. all 3D printers print slightly differently and aren't as precise as you'd want when it comes to dimensional accuracy. i obviously have several mitutoyu digital verniers, but the object here, is for me to produce a pocket jig using my 3D printer, for someone else to accurately spot a fake sov or half sov (dimensionally) without carrying a caliper. this thing i'm knocking up is to tell me what CAD size a sovereign hole is in comparison to what i tell my printer to print

I used to program CNC Lasers as part of my job 20 odd years ago

printing this now. please feel free to tag a member or members who deal in half sovereigns. would be great to work with someone to get my tolerences dialled in.

half sov cal screenshot progress.png

1. I send you plastic with holes in

2. you tell me which holes your coins fit in the best

3. I make pocket sov jig/tester

4. the world becomes a happier place

I got a hand-full of half sovereigns and would be willing to test it out. Would you need me to ship the tester back to you, or potentially another member with half sovs?

Always shipping with re-used or biodegradable packaging.

Looking to sell some items to fund a holiday. I've got some items for sale. PM me or check my profile if interested: Hitler's 3rd Reich 2 Reichsmark Coins, Roman Imperial Denarii and Other silver coins/items.

1 hour ago, bobski said:

A member has suggested a pocket size tester for sovs. all 3D printers print slightly differently and aren't as precise as you'd want when it comes to dimensional accuracy. i obviously have several mitutoyu digital verniers, but the object here, is for me to produce a pocket jig using my 3D printer, for someone else to accurately spot a fake sov or half sov (dimensionally) without carrying a caliper. this thing i'm knocking up is to tell me what CAD size a sovereign hole is in comparison to what i tell my printer to print

I used to program CNC Lasers as part of my job 20 odd years ago

Lumonics Laser from 20 years ago😁 

This is quite similar with scales.

086E2F54-E9CC-4BCD-AEFD-7B7CD33F4B6E.jpeg

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

18 minutes ago, stackerp5 said:

I got a hand-full of half sovereigns and would be willing to test it out. Would you need me to ship the tester back to you, or potentially another member with half sovs?

nope. happy for you to keep it mate. just need the feedback

14 minutes ago, NGMD said:

Lumonics Laser from 20 years ago😁 

This is quite similar with scales.

086E2F54-E9CC-4BCD-AEFD-7B7CD33F4B6E.jpeg

just bog standard XYZ programming and sub-routines. we weren't splitting atoms or bending time and space lol. most of my engineering was medical equipment and cryogenics. my very last proper engineering job was prototype electronics engineer. To be honest, I just love making and fixing stuff. And yes, thats the jig i'm hoping to emulate and improve upon, once i calibrate my printer to real sovs.

just to clarify once again. this calibration sheet is purely for me to calibrate MY printer to YOUR sovereign coins. It is not a sovereign tester jig. That comes next...

A tinkerer. Me too, a lot.😁

Whats the tolerance on printing-might be worth considering?

-Royal Mint 2024

2 minutes ago, NGMD said:

not sure really. i identify a problem that needs solving, design a solution and then print a prototype. then i get the digital Vernier out and a calculator to see what percentage to shrink or expand my xyz axis by to fix the issue. bit of a cowboy

6 minutes ago, stackerp5 said:

No problem, when it's done pop me a message so I can send you postage details :)

have you got a healthy stack of full sovereigns too? 

2 hours ago, NGMD said:

obviously feel free to use your setup to create sov data for me 

3 minutes ago, bobski said:

have you got a healthy stack of full sovereigns too? 

I've only got 1 full sovereign unfortunately

Always shipping with re-used or biodegradable packaging.

Looking to sell some items to fund a holiday. I've got some items for sale. PM me or check my profile if interested: Hitler's 3rd Reich 2 Reichsmark Coins, Roman Imperial Denarii and Other silver coins/items.

18 minutes ago, NGMD said:

this will make you laugh; I learned CAD on flexiCAD at college 😂 so TinkerCAD and a high IQ works fantastically for me lol. a bi6t like building the taj mahal out of PEZ

2 minutes ago, stackerp5 said:

good enough for me. it's a start

1 minute ago, bobski said:

obviously feel free to use your setup to create sov data for me 

This is a laser measuring devices for medical. Sovereigns can fluctuate madly on size. Trying to tighten down to a half a thou might not work. That’s all.

The sizes are on RM website and BBP.

-Royal Mint 2024

3 minutes ago, stackerp5 said:

i'll send you the half test sheet for your feedback and it should help me to calibrate for both anyway

Just now, NGMD said:

This is a laser measuring devices for medical. Sovereigns can fluctuate madly on size. Trying to tighten down to a half a thou might not work. That’s all.

The sizes are on RM website and BBP.

yeah i get that. nominal sizes and tolerance are what i'm focussing on. as long as i can eek out a good 3D model that works (with printer and coin), then i'm happy

And to think that this started as an innocent DM to a helpful couple of members, asking if they needed anything printed to say thanks for advice 🤣

Just now, bobski said:

yeah i get that. nominal sizes and tolerance are what i'm focussing on. as long as i can eek out a good 3D model that works (with printer and coin), then i'm happy

Does it have a aperture/ dispersal width from the machine manufacturer?
Will give you an offset to size.

2 minutes ago, bobski said:

And to think that this started as an innocent DM to a helpful couple of members, asking if they needed anything printed to say thanks for advice 🤣

Sorry fella. Just ocd kicks in. I’ll leave.

-Royal Mint 2024

3 minutes ago, NGMD said:

Does it have a aperture/ dispersal width from the machine manufacturer?
Will give you an offset to size.

Sorry fella. Just ocd kicks in. I’ll leave.

it all depends on so many variables. its much easier for me to tune my printer to how it prints best and then prototype, then work back/forwards from there mate. need a 10mm hole? I print my shiniest, smoothest 10mm hole, then measue with vernier and adapt the code to print it more accurately. Thats the basics of what i do. I use really simple CAD to create slightly more complex designs, then tweak them to get the perfect dimensions, after prototyping. this all happens with a 44 year old man with high level autism/ADHD and a £200 3D printer 😂