• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sharing a beauty

refero

Nice.  

Supply of these in the U.K. is much tighter than in Australia if anyone is looking for one.  I have seen roughly compatible examples a bit cheaper in Australia.

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

3 hours ago, refero said:

While waiting for my memorial poof to get home (.......) i share with you today my lovely 1867 Sidney mint sovereign. As representative for the Sidney sovereigns it was to me quite straightforward to pick 1867; it is (with 1840 but Sidney started only in 1855) the only year where London shield sovs are missing; a perfect year then to fill this way,....

It is slabbed NGC as AU58 and it took me several years to find the right compromise between grading and price

IMG_2556.png

IMG_2559.PNG

IMG_2562.PNG

I’ve always liked this portrait by Leonard Wyon with the Banksia in the hair, replacing his cousin James’ depiction of 1855/56.

Nice coin. Well done!

15 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

I’ve always liked this portrait by Leonard Wyon with the Banksia in the hair, replacing his cousin James’ depiction of 1855/56.

Nice coin. Well done!

I read that too quickly the first time, and thought it was about a portrait by Banksy!

I wonder if his first name is Robin?

😎

Chards

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

I read that too quickly the first time, and thought it was about a portrait by Banksy!

I wonder if his first name is Robin?

😎

Banksia as you well know is named after Sir Joseph Banks, the colonial botanist, who collected several species in 1770 whilst sailing with Captain Cook. Slight digression now re. Alloys used by the Sydney mint. 
Francis Miller patented the gas chlorine method of removing the silver from gold ore in 1867, which before made the sovereigns look more yellow than those from the London mint. So in 1868/69 both Mints started experimenting - Sydney using more copper, and London using more silver. Marsh 53A  ‘yellow gold’ 1869, and in Sydney Marsh 373&374 using ‘Yellow gold’ & ‘Red gold’ respectively. However, Steve Hill/Marsh now refers to ‘Yellow gold’ as being alloyed with 8.33% silver. I’ve always thought that ‘yellow gold’ was a mix of copper & silver, with just a small amount of silver needed to bring out the yellow. Also I’ve always thought that using all silver is technically ‘green gold’! 
To illustrate this, the photo shows 2x 1870 ‘Australia’ and a Proof 2005. Using a grey photo exposure card to get the best colour exposure possible would you agree that the proof has a slight greenish hue to it? I had it tested by Bairds sometime ago who confirmed it contained 8.33% silver.

BB27CD05-BBA5-44DA-9C49-0996A2DD1D30.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

Banksia as you well know is named after Sir Joseph Banks, the colonial botanist, who collected several species in 1770 whilst sailing with Captain Cook. Slight digression now re. Alloys used by the Sydney mint. 
Francis Miller patented the gas chlorine method of removing the silver from gold ore in 1867, which before made the sovereigns look more yellow than those from the London mint. So in 1868/69 both Mints started experimenting - Sydney using more copper, and London using more silver. Marsh 53A  ‘yellow gold’ 1869, and in Sydney Marsh 373&374 using ‘Yellow gold’ & ‘Red gold’ respectively. However, Steve Hill/Marsh now refers to ‘Yellow gold’ as being alloyed with 8.33% silver. I’ve always thought that ‘yellow gold’ was a mix of copper & silver, with just a small amount of silver needed to bring out the yellow. Also I’ve always thought that using all silver is technically ‘green gold’! 
To illustrate this, the photo shows 2x 1870 ‘Australia’ and a Proof 2005. Using a grey photo exposure card to get the best colour exposure possible would you agree that the proof has a slight greenish hue to it? I had it tested by Bairds sometime ago who confirmed it contained 8.33% silver.

BB27CD05-BBA5-44DA-9C49-0996A2DD1D30.jpeg

Banksia? yes I read up on it some years ago.

The flowers do look rather phallic.

I would say "green gold" is more jargon than technically correct.

I did Niton test 2005 Australian Perth Mint sovereigns, proof and bullion, some time ago, and published the results here on TSF, but faile to find them in a 30 second search.

I can remember that my tests showed zero copper, and 8.33% silver.

😎

Chards