• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Scratched Gold Coin

AaaGee

I purchased a 2023 Gold 1/4 Britannia this week. Now, my eyesight isnt hreat and i wear glasses to read. With them on i could see a fair bit of light scratching on the queens face. Looking at it with a loop it has a lot of scratching on all raised surfaces. Just on one side. Not too happy but i get it, its bullion. Not enough to contact the seller about and expect to get anywhere with it.

But is there anything that can be done with it? Surface cleaning? Professionaly, not by me with a tin of Brasso and a rag.

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, AaaGee said:

I purchased a 2023 Gold 1/4 Britannia this week. Now, my eyesight isnt hreat and i wear glasses to read. With them on i could see a fair bit of light scratching on the queens face. Looking at it with a loop it has a lot of scratching on all raised surfaces. Just on one side. Not too happy but i get it, its bullion. Not enough to contact the seller about and expect to get anywhere with it.

But is there anything that can be done with it? Surface cleaning? Professionaly, not by me with a tin of Brasso and a rag.

Thanks.

Does it weigh correct? If so, I'd just add it to the stack and forget about it.

I used to get upset about silver Britannias arriving as though they'd been delivered by the Milk Man, but I've learnt to ignore it. Silver is Silver, and Gold is Gold. Apparently.

Buy high. Sell low.

1 hour ago, AaaGee said:

Thanks.

Cleaning will never improve it, only make it worse.

Yes, it is only bullion, but you could let the sellers know in case they are not aware.

If dealers get enough customer complaints / feedback, some of it may filter back up to the Royal Mint.

😎

Chards

6 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Cleaning will never improve it, only make it worse.

Yes, it is only bullion, but you could let the sellers know in case they are not aware.

If dealers get enough customer complaints / feedback, some of it may filter back up to the Royal Mint.

😎

But will it get me a better coin?

Do the Royal Mint care? Surely if they did, they would have improved by now.

Edited by AaaGee

2 hours ago, AaaGee said:

Thanks.

Was it bought from the rm i'd return it get a refund then buy cheaper from a reputable source. If bought from a reputable source drop them an e-mail and see what they say 

1 minute ago, StackemHigh said:

Was it bought from the rm i'd return it get a refund then buy cheaper from a reputable source. If bought from a reputable source drop them an e-mail and see what they say 

May call them Monday. Was Bullion By Post.

9 hours ago, AaaGee said:

Thanks.

I’d just keep it dealers won’t care when you sell it to them.

Ive slept on it and decided to keep it.

I think that the marks on it arnt worth worrying about.

But the main reason is ive got zero trust in the royal mail at the moment (im still in mid claim of a coin that was stolen from me) and its a day off work and a long drive to Birmingham.

So in my stash, it will stay.

Thanks to everyone for giving your opinions. Appreciated 👍