• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1872 Gothic Florin mdccclxxii – Victoria

Sc391

I’m in California and interested in picking up a nice 1872 gothic florin for my collection.  I have seen some nice ones in fine or VF for about £100.  Couple of questions- am I in realistic on the price and does anyone have a dealer to suggest other than eBay.  Thanks to all.

Does it have to be 1872? Have a look at the offers at ma-shops for 1872 ones or maybe also other years. Some nice pieces there at approximately your price level.

Or of course, try a Wanted post here in the Trade section, maybe some fellow UK member has a spare one in their collection ☺️

Edited by CollectForFun
typos

1872 is one of the easier years to find, so you should be able to get one in a decent grade for a lower cost than for some other years.

£100 for a VF example (UK grading) from a dealer is probably about right, possibly slightly over book price but not too much.  £100 is definitely too much for a Fine example.

I have an 1852 gothic florin which could potentially be for sale.  Grade wise I would say it's EF but has probably been lightly cleaned.  I bought it from a reputable dealer about 7 years ago, I now have two other gothic florins which I will keep.

N Florin 1852.jpg

7 hours ago, Stuntman said:

1872 is one of the easier years to find, so you should be able to get one in a decent grade for a lower cost than for some other years.

£100 for a VF example (UK grading) from a dealer is probably about right, possibly slightly over book price but not too much.  £100 is definitely too much for a Fine example.

I have an 1852 gothic florin which could potentially be for sale.  Grade wise I would say it's EF but has probably been lightly cleaned.  I bought it from a reputable dealer about 7 years ago, I now have two other gothic florins which I will keep.

N Florin 1852.jpg

Agree that 1872 is one of the easiest day that can be started with, won't cost too much and able to buy a decent Gothic Florin for pleasure.  To me, the Gothic Florin is one of the most beautiful pre-decimal coin, especially the 1849 Godless one.  However, price go up in past few years, which make me have no chance to add one more to my collection.

I have a spare 1849 as well.  It has a slight edge bruise and it may also have been lightly cleaned at some point.

Once again I bought this from a different reputable dealer about 7 years ago.  I have another one now that I will keep, so this one also needs a good home.

(Neither dealer specified that the coin may have been lightly cleaned, this is just what I think.  They are still nice coins.)

N Florin 1849.jpg