• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Limonene as a degreasing agent for coins?

Does anybody here have an opinion (positive or negative) about the merits of limonene as a degreasing agent for getting grubby fingermarks and suchlike off coins?

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

@GoldDiggerDave our resident scientist should be able to help 

Edited by HerefordBullyun

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

Depends what coin proof or bullion and value of the coins, if its just silver bullion knock yourself out try a few different things you can’t make it worth any less 🥾🥾🥾🥾🥾 stomp, stomp🥾🥾🥾🥾

these are your milky maples I bought off you, I removed the milk spots off one I will do the rest when I have more time.

only did this very quick, can get better results with a bit more time…..plus I do my best work on a few glasses of red wine. 

milk spots are a different animal to remove, no amount of baking soda etc will not remove them. 

6CCC50A0-5565-49FE-AD79-339A7485008D.jpeg

@Pete - It's widely used for cleaning electronics, so apart from being very smelly, it's pretty benign on the surfaces you're cleaning.  I've had a little bottle of it for cleaning heatsink gunge off chips for nearly 15 years now, which still has a little bit left in it.  One can get bottles of it from Ebay for a reasonable price, although I doubt I'd ever use anything like 500ml of it.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

2 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Depends what coin proof or bullion and value of the coins, if its just silver bullion knock yourself out try a few different things you can’t make it worth any less 🥾🥾🥾🥾🥾 stomp, stomp🥾🥾🥾🥾

these are your milky maples I bought off you, I removed the milk spots off one I will do the rest when I have more time.

only did this very quick, can get better results with a bit more time…..plus I do my best work on a few glasses of red wine. 

milk spots are a different animal to remove, no amount of baking soda etc will not remove them. 

6CCC50A0-5565-49FE-AD79-339A7485008D.jpeg

IMG_6588.MOV IMG_6590.MOV

Very nice - I might even offer to buy a cleaned up one off you.  How does one actually remove milk spots - the collective wisdom of the interwebs seems to be somewhat at odds about the process by which they form.  Is it an abrasive process (i.e. polishing them off) or can they be chemically treated?

32 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Milk spots that’s my secret I’m currently working on removing milk spots from silver proof coins, which is the holy grail of coin conservation. 

Let me know when you have it cracked I have Spotted PF 69 UC Gothic quartered crown to be fixed...  

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

1 minute ago, LawrenceChard said:

I thought that was in Italy, on Lake Garda!

😎

You're thinking of Sirmione.

In spite of what Ryanair says, Montichiari is nowhere near either Brescia or Verona.

4 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I thought that was in Italy, on Lake Garda!

😎

I thought youd be more Limonchello man than degreasing agent - or is that only when you are on the piste?

4 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

You're thinking of Sirmione.

In spite of what Ryanair says, Montichiari is nowhere near either Brescia or Verona.

No, I was actually thinking of Limone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limone_sul_Garda

And Frankfurt (Hahn) is a long way from Frankfurt am Main

😎

Chards

2 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

No, I was actually thinking of Limone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limone_sul_Garda

And Frankfurt (Hahn) is a long way from Frankfurt am Main

😎

Ive been to han Haveghanist-han!

5 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

I thought youd be more Limonchello man than degreasing agent - or is that only when you are on the piste?

I think we do have a bottle of it somewhere.

The home made or artisanal stuff is better than the mass produced stuff.

Although at La Utia, a mountain hut / bar  restaurant on pista #11 at San Cassiano in the Italian Dolomites, for a few years I was called Bombardino Man, because I had a one-piece yellow ski outfit, by Speedo as it happens.

https://www.altabadia.org/de/info/la-uetia.html

also

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardino

😎

Chards

7 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I think we do have a bottle of it somewhere.

The home made or artisanal stuff is better than the mass produced stuff.

Although at La Utia, a mountain hut / bar  restaurant on pista #11 at San Cassiano in the Italian Dolomites, for a few years I was called Bombardino Man, because I had a one-piece yellow ski outfit, by Speedo as it happens.

Never really warmed to Limoncello, most times I've tried it I found it tasting like cleaning fluid.  My ex used to play bridge with a chap who lived around Lago di Como so we used to go there on a semi-regular basis.  I've tried a few types, although I doubt any of them would have been what one might call artisinal.  Our friend used to love it, though.

Apparently it's not all that hard to make home-made limoncello, although I suspect making it not taste like cleaning fluid might be a bit more of an art.

7 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

That's even further away then Montichari airport, which was deliberately put in the middle of nowhere so the Soviets could nuke it without breaking anything important.

Edited by Silverlocks

Just now, Silverlocks said:

Never really warmed to Limoncello, most times I've tried it I found it tasting like cleaning fluid.  My ex used to play bridge with a chap who lived around Lago di Como so we used to go there on a semi-regular basis.  I've tried a few types, although I doubt any of them would have been what one might call artisinal.  Our friend used to love it, though.

Apparently it's not all that hard to make home-made limoncello, although I suspect making it not taste like cleaning fluid might be a bit more of an art.

Gor you lot are high society! I am lucky if a get to clacton for a pot noodle!

How the joneses live!

3 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Gor you lot are high society! I am lucky if a get to clacton for a pot noodle!

How the joneses live!

Dunno.  At Ryanair prices it's cheaper to fly to Italy than take the train to Clacton.

I'm pretty sure nobody wants to see me skiing in my undies, though.

Edited by Silverlocks

1 minute ago, Silverlocks said:

Dunno.  At Ryanair prices it's cheaper to fly to Italy than take the train to Clacton.

not for me with my vets rail card!

1 minute ago, HerefordBullyun said:

not for me with my vets rail card!

Doesn't your vet need that to get to work?

Just now, Silverlocks said:

Doesn't your vet need that to get to work?

no too busy putting his hand up cows bottoms!

Just now, HerefordBullyun said:

no too busy putting his hand up cows bottoms!

I mean who's going to shave your pussy if your vet can't get to work?

5 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

I mean who's going to shave your pussy if your vet can't get to work?

I know nothing about these sort of things @LawrenceChard has thread about this - hes the expert in that area. Maybe you can both share a bottle of plonk on Lake garda to discuss and think of me in wearing my hanky on the beach in clacton whilst im inhaling dung sandwiches.

My mums posh though, she used to make spam sarnies for the Hammersmith conservative party naked bowls club....

Edited by HerefordBullyun

1 minute ago, HerefordBullyun said:

I know nothing about these thing @LawrenceChard has thread about this - hes the expert in that area. Maybe you can both share a bottle of plonk on Lake garda to discuss and think of me in my hanky on the beach in clacton whilst im inhaling dung sandwiches.

My mums posh though, she used to make spam sarnies for the Hammersmith conservative party naked bowls club....

Knowing the recent history of the conservative party, that is a lot more credible than it sounds.