• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Calculating the spot price of .925

DrDave

Possibly a bit of a newbie question, but is it that simple to work out the price of .925 and .500 silver?

My guess is that is's 92.5% of the spot value of .9999, but i'm assuming there's a cost to consider for smelting etc. 

I can look at the price that BBP will buy scrap for, but thats not its spot value.

Thank you for entertaining my stupidity 🤔

On TSF, sellers will usually give the weight of pure silver and charge according to that weight. From my experience they expect to get at least spot. It depends on what is being sold. If it is some old tatt then spot is what it is. If it is a nice piece of silver which is either very decorative or has a utility then you might well expect to pay more than spot. 

Old silver circulating coins are another example - UK 50% silver coins generally sell for around spot on TSF. The 92.5 coins go for a premium to spot these days, unless of course they are badly worn and battered.

Remember spot isn't really a proper price. It is a value given to bits of paper, the value of a dot on the screen. If you wanted to take delivery and could actually take delivery you will be paying more than spot. Spot is a phony price and the price dealers want to pay so they can sell on for a higher price.

Edited by sixgun

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

16 hours ago, DrDave said:

Possibly a bit of a newbie question, but is it that simple to work out the price of .925 and .500 silver?

My guess is that is's 92.5% of the spot value of .9999, but i'm assuming there's a cost to consider for smelting etc. 

I can look at the price that BBP will buy scrap for, but thats not its spot value.

Thank you for entertaining my stupidity 🤔

Just assume fine silver = 1 or 100% or 1.000

Silver is not often .9999 (four nines fine), it is much more commonly .999 (three nines), but forget all of these.

So for .925 silver, calculate as .925 or 92.5%

For .500 silver, calculate as .500 or 50.0%

Do similar for any other finenesses.

You could also do it for .999, but this approach is not 99.9% reliable.

Does this help?

😎

Chards

2 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Just assume fine silver = 1 or 100% or 1.000

Silver is not often .9999 (four nines fine), it is much more commonly .999 (three nines), but forget all of these.

So for .925 silver, calculate as .925 or 92.5%

For .500 silver, calculate as .500 or 50.0%

Do similar for any other finenesses.

You could also do it for .999, but this approach is not 99.9% reliable.

Does this help?

😎

Yes thats great. Just as i thought.

I did wonder if there was an adjustment for smelting the .925 back to .999 but i think i'm just overcomplicating it