• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

3rd East Lancashire Regiment 1 1/2d Token by Ardill of Leeds

This is quite an ordinary looking brass token, but:

1881oneandhalfpencetokenthirdeastlancashireregimentardillleedsobversecrop.thumb.jpg.817052157d26b73a0ba84dc2a9424461.jpg

The East Lancashire Regiment seems to have a number of passionate collectors in this area, even though we are in west Lancashire.

Ardill Leeds seem to have been a prolific manufacturer of brass checks and tokens, based in Leeds. I discovered this information.

The company was John Ardill & Co., Leeds.

J Ardill was a well known manufacturers of metal checks....

Ardill & Co., manufacturers of metal checks, located at Ridge Works in Meanwood Road. The metal checks were tin discs, made by hand on a fly press, sometimes numbered and used, for example, for coal sacks. This was a small family business and the 1882 Leeds Post Office Directory lists John Ardill & Co., medallists, die sinkers, stampers and piercers & rubber stamp makers as, at that time, being in premises in Little Woodhouse Street. The company was run by brothers, John Ardill of 17 Lyddon Terrace and Thomas Ardill of 45 Kensington Terrace. The business eventually moved to Ridge Works on Meanwood Road and was continued by the two sons of John and Annie Ardill, Clifford, born in 1880 and Leslie, born in 1882. One of their sons, Brian Ardill, born in 1907, carried on the business until his death in the early 1960s. His wife Eleanor Mary, known as 'Mollie', kept it running for several years after his death prior to it being sold.
Although this states Ridge Works? ...possibly they also used the name St Georges works later. I.E. Brian Ardill that is mentioned elsewhere.

1881oneandhalfpencetokenthirdeastlancashireregimentardillleedsreversecrop.thumb.jpg.73c9ba98c732cd3a45939fa47a3cd525.jpg

My guess is that this was a mess token.

Anybody care to add more?

🙂

Chards

4 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Probably.

Although when I described it as brass, I realised I had not tested it.

😎

I suspect some members 3rd east lancashire regt met a few brasses in their time, some metal some for pleasure....

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

21 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

I suspect some members 3rd east lancashire regt met a few brasses in their time, some metal some for pleasure....

I had to think about that for a few seconds...

I was hoping you or any other ex-military TSF members might provide some more perspectives on the ELR, apart from what is on Wikipedia.

😎

Chards

31 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I had to think about that for a few seconds...

I was hoping you or any other ex-military TSF members might provide some more perspectives on the ELR, apart from what is on Wikipedia.

😎

Regimental history isnt really my forte tbh @LawrenceChard when you serve you get your own regimental history rammed down your throat.

Each capbadge has its own traditions weaved in normally though battle honours and traditions, mainly stemming from british empire days.

For example the welsh guards apart from having 9 million Joneses in their regiment (so when on parade ,they have to say the last 3 or 4 of their number with the name) has a regimental mascot as a goat. Said goat also holds rank....So higher than some guardsman. But I would not like to be the goat protector when Gurkhas are around. Live goats are slaughtered as part of the culture, and after living off goat curry 4 for months solid in NZ training them for their Afghan deployment gets a bit boring... 

There are now 4 or 5 Lancashire regiments now, they would have been formed all the former regiments, like East lancs regiment. but they are more over a geographical catchment area.

Its like the light infantry my local regiment has now been morphed into the rifles. beforehand it was the KSLI the kings shropshire light infantry.

Given the size of the cuts regiments are not so granular geographically now because of the recruiting has changed and changed globally. 

I.e many a time I saw drunken Fijian soldiers in scots regiments come and say hello in my former last post... I suspect they got drunk because they couldn't understand their Glaswegian commanders - which is difficult enough to understand like a southern fairy like myself. 

So apols Im not much use - but hopefully brought a smile to your face :)

Edited by HerefordBullyun

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

12 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Regimental history isnt really my forte tbh @LawrenceChard when you serve you get your own regimental history rammed down your throat.

Each capbadge has its own traditions weaved in normally though battle honours and traditions, mainly stemming from british empire days.

For example the welsh guards apart from having 9 million Joneses in their regiment (so when on parade they they have say the last 3 or 4 of thier number with the name) has a regimental mascot as a goat. Said goat also holds rank....So higher than some guardsman. But I would not like to be the goat protector when Gurkhas are around. Live goats are slaughtered as part of the culture, and after living off goat curry 4 for months solid in NZ training them for their Afghan deployment gets a bit boring... 

There are now 4 or 5 Lancashire regiments now, they would have been formed all the former regiments, like East lancs regiment. but they are more over a geographical catchment area.

Its like the light infantry my local regiment has now been morphed into the rifles. beforehand it was the KSLI the kings shropshire light infantry.

Given the size of the cuts regiments are not so granular geographically now because of the recruiting has changed and changed globally. 

I.e many a time I saw drunken Fijian soldiers in scots regiments come and say hello in my former last post... I suspect they got drunk because they couldn't understand their Glaswegian commanders - which is difficult enough to understand like a southern fairy like myself. 

So apols Im not much use - but hopefully brought a smile to your face :)

Smile? Yes indeed.

The goat curry sounds pretty good to me. It would probably be appreciated in the Falkland Islands as a change from lamb or mutton, which I understand is called "365" locally.

I hope the ghurkas refrained from eating the mascot, and I guess there are strict rules about killing and eating an officer.

😎

Chards

1 minute ago, LawrenceChard said:

Smile? Yes indeed.

The goat curry sounds pretty good to me. It would probably be appreciated in the Falkland Islands as a change from lamb or mutton, which I understand is called "365" locally.

I hope the ghurkas refrained from eating the mascot, and I guess there are strict rules about killing and eating an officer.

😎

The goat is really good, but after having for 4 months solid - its some what monotonous!

They would face court martial if eating the regimental goat of the guards. Bit like @blackadder shooting 'Speckeld Jim' General Melchetts prize carrier pigeon!

Or more commonly known as the Flanders pigeon murderer! 

Looks like someone has also been playing with the Garrison Falkland Islands personality board also.

As the commander British Forces Falklands looks distinctly like Brian Badonde and Terry Tibbs is the Falkands Commander of the Security - both I recall featured in Facejacker!

image.thumb.png.2536dc475c0e7898820318f88d1b36c8.png

Edited by HerefordBullyun