• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver King James Bible Proof £2 Coin

ddave07

I'm completely new to coin collecting and stacking and am still very much learning from the posts that come up on the forum.

I have recently been given a Silver KJ Bible Proof £2 coin. However when I was given it, I saw that there are marks on the coin (see photo), is this the result of it being handled previously (I've not removed it from its capsule) or is this natural tarnishing of silver?

Any insights would be really welcome :D

Cheers! DD 

Screenshot 2022-06-28 at 15.17.40.png

If it's definitely on the coin and not the plastic of the capsule it's not tarnishing. It looks like it's been dragged across a surface or something similar, i.e. damage.

Tarnish on proof sterling commemoratives (especially £1 & £2 coins in my experience for whatever reason) is the dreaded black stuff, although they do sometimes tone nicely.

3 hours ago, TeaTime said:

natural toning

It's an odd tone if it is, the proof frosting looks whitened on the high points, hence why I thought it was contact marks. Anything is possible with RM products though 👀

I have few of these and one has very similar circular markings.  I think this toning that happened post production at the RM.  Root cause probably quality issue.

best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

typical toning and fogging.  I have a number of silver poor £2 coins like this I'll attach a few photos later on, I'm not doing much today so will pick some of the worst out, and will conserve them to show you the before and after.

I've even got a SYO VIP silver proof £2 that I can guarantee thats never been out of the capsule but sadly  it has similar toning.

Simplest answer - dip it in something like Goddards Silver Dip. If it disappears then it's toning - if it doesn't then it's damage.

Admittedly it could be both knowing RM quality control.

I've often wondered why a lot of silver proof coins will tone in such a way. Logically you'd expect it to be more evenly distributed. Dicker could be on to something - perhaps the tone first appears on areas that have micro abrasions or defects introduced as part of the minting process..  

@TeaTime I think this is the case based on the coins I have seen.  

I bought a large number of Silver proof sets from an auction house after they did not sell. One of the £2 I have looks like it has not been out of the capsule but has similar markings.  You see the same sort of marks in circulation £2’s as highlighted by @HelpingHands so I suspect a “feature” of the minting process.  

Not my circus, not my monkeys