• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

I happen to like older, non-English coins of the British Isles, incuding Scotland, Ireland, Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

I don't get to see enough of them.

Here is an example of a Manx penny:

1758isleofmanmanxpennytokenobversecrop.thumb.jpg.8d0619d99c775bba5cf00e7485216598.jpg

The main "device" is variously known as a triskeles, triune, triskelion, three legs of Mann, or ny tree cassyn. 

The Latin legend reads Lettering: QUOCUNQUE·JECERIS·STABIT· meaning wherever you throw me, I stand, or as Elton John might have said "I'm Still Standing".

Similar three legged symbols have apppeared in ancient times, including on ancient Greek coins. 

According to Manx National Heritage:

"The famous Three Legs of Mann appear to have been adopted in the Thirteenth Century as the royal coat of arms for three kings of the Isle of Man whose realm at the time also included the Hebrides in the Western Isles of Scotland.

The emblem was retained when control of the Island passed permanently to the English Crown. One of the earliest remaining depictions of the emblem is on the Manx Sword of State thought to have been made in 1300A.D. The Three Legs of Mann symbol also appeared on Manx coins from the 17th Century.

It is not known for sure why the emblem was adopted by the 13th Century kings but it may just have been that it was striking and distinctive.

The history of the Three Legs of Mann goes as far back as Pagan times and was originally a symbol of the sun and of power and life.

It has also been suggested that the Manx Three legs symbol may have been an adaptation of the “triskele” which appeared on coins of the 10th Century Norse King Analaf Cuaran whose dominion included Dublin and the Isle of Man.

Folk tales suggest a link with Manannan, the Celtic Sea God but there is no early evidence of this.

All the early examples of the Manx “Legs” show them running clockwise towards the sun.

The Three Legs of Mann motto has been associated with the symbol since about 1300 A.D. “Quocunque Jeceris Stabit”  literally translates to “Whithersoever you throw it, it will stand.”"

1758isleofmanmanxpennytokenreversecrop.thumb.jpg.0cd6558c734ed9b1f4ada23791488d21.jpg

A crowned AD monogram, with the date 1758 below.

There is no mark of value, and I am not sure whether this is a coin or a token.

It is about 31 mms diameter, and weighs about 8.5 grams.

Most sources state it to be a penny, and Numista mentions "James Murray", and also describes the crown as a "ducal coronet".

James Murray was the second Duke of Atholl.

Chards

Fascinating. I always wondered about that symbol. 

It's also used as part of the coat of arms for the Bavarian town of Füssen and always caught my eye and made me wonder..  I think it's been used there as part of the coat of arms since the 1300s (but don't quote me on that)..🤔

https://www.ancientpages.com/2018/12/13/triskelion-millennia-old-traditional-symbol-used-in-many-cultures-around-the-world/

Edited by flyingveepixie

8 hours ago, flyingveepixie said:

Fascinating. I always wondered about that symbol. 

It's also used as part of the coat of arms for the Bavarian town of Füssen and always caught my eye and made me wonder..  I think it's been used there as part of the coat of arms since the 1300s (but don't quote me on that)..🤔

https://www.ancientpages.com/2018/12/13/triskelion-millennia-old-traditional-symbol-used-in-many-cultures-around-the-world/

So it is.

Close to Neuschwanstein Castle, built by "mad" King Ludwig II, which we visited once. Also Oberammergau, famous for its passion plays.

Don't tell @HerefordBullyun that there's a place called Wankerfleck nearby, or this thread will deteriorate to another Naughty Boys Corner.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

30 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

So it is.

Close to Neuschwanstein Castle, buoit by "mad" King Ludwig II, which we visited once. Also Oberammergau, famous for its passion plays.

Don't tell @HerefordBullyun that there's a place called Wankerfleck nearby, or this thread will deteriorate to another Naughty Boys Corner.

😎

Yes indeed. König Ludwig didn't manage to fully complete Neuschwanstein before he popped his clogs, and back in the 1980s there was still only about a third of the castle which could be accessed by visitors. No idea what the situation is there now though..🤔

There's a pretty little village called Wank which is very near Füssen and also a local mountain with the same title.  The village sign always had me chuckling every time I drove past it..

Edited by flyingveepixie

2 minutes ago, flyingveepixie said:

Yes indeed. König Ludwig didn't manage to fully complete Neuschwanstein before he popped his clogs, and back in the 1980s there was still only about a third of the castle which could be accessed by visitors.

There's a pretty little village called Wank which is very near Füssen and also a local mountain with the same title.  The village sign always had me chuckling every time I drove past it..

According to Wikipedia the German word wank translates to wobble. Fleck means spot, while wankerfleck means smudge.

😎

Chards

43 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

According to Wikipedia the German word wank translates to wobble. Fleck means spot, while wankerfleck means smudge.

😎

Lol. I never thought to translate 'wank' to English..😂  Neither was I aware of the meaning of 'wankerfleck', although 'Fleck' does indeed mean spot. I was aware of that at least..🥴

Edited by flyingveepixie