• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver rounds - in the UK

FourNinesFine

Welcome to the latest instalment of 'Four Nines Fine proves he's a novice' - thanks for tuning in.  😇

My question concerns silver rounds in the UK and whether there's an 'established' round?

Using the US as a comparison - you have the sovereign (government backed) American Silver Eagle or any number of available silver rounds, (Engelhard prospectors, Silver Towne Rounds, Sunshine Mint etc.) and I know that they're produced by a whole variety of different mints, both federal and private. It seems to me (noob status notwithstanding) that the 'Buffalo' or 'Indian Head' rounds have established themselves as the 'de facto' round in the US, and I just wondered if there was a UK equivalent?

I appreciate that the Royal Mint puts out 476 new limited edition sets every other week, such as the James Bond, Music Legends, Lunar year of ... etc., but from what I can see, these are mostly coins with an associated denomination. The only other things I could find from a rudimentary google search were the occasional 'medal' but these were generally sterling rather than 999 and again, part of one-off sets rather than an evergreen cycle, minted each year.

On that basis, I'm guessing the answer is 'no' - but I thought I'd ask.  (I know that coins are CGT exempt so would make sense to stack these even if rounds were available - just curious as to the status of a UK round.

Thanks,

FNF.

I'm not aware of any defacto standard offerings when it comes to rounds in the UK. Most of the ones i have seen are imported anyhow from the US etc. One thing to bear in mind is that not all denominated coins are CGT exempt. It must be denominated in GBP for it to be exempt, so from a tax point of view, a generic round would offer no more tax advantage in the UK than something like a Canadian Maple or Austrian Philharmonic. Where the Maple etc do win out is that they are at the top end when it comes to being recognised and trusted, which can help you command a slightly better resale price, especially if you are selling to the more casual purchaser. If you are just stacking for pure weight and are buying from a trusted source, rounds can offer the best bang for your buck, and there are some really pretty offerings out there. That beings said, I've personally tended to sick to the big government offerings just cause of their absolute liquidity and ease of finding comparative prices.

1 hour ago, FourNinesFine said:

Welcome to the latest instalment of 'Four Nines Fine proves he's a novice' - thanks for tuning in.  😇

My question concerns silver rounds in the UK and whether there's an 'established' round?

Very funny, won't be long until you are answering these questions!

To the best of my knowledge there is no comparable UK rounds. Unless you really like them or have an ungodly desire to stack them, I'd stay clear. They are a bit of a niche market in the UK, expensive (relatively) to buy and difficult (again relatively) to move on - compared to Brits etc.

That being said, the ones you mention, like the Prospector & Buffalo etc seem to do OK, but I wouldn't go buying loads of them.

Edited by TheShinyStuff

16 minutes ago, GBStacking said:

If you are just stacking for pure weight and are buying from a trusted source, rounds can offer the best bang for your buck, and there are some really pretty offerings out there.

It was exactly this 'max value' potential that piqueed my interest in rounds originally.

I know from some US-based stackers that their rounds 'tend' to have a much lower premiuum, but this may be being warped currently simply by virtue of the astronomical premiums on ASEs. I'm with you in the  main - sticking to the government minted stuff, but I will look out for anything that seems like a bargain - again, sticking to the more recognisable stuff.

Cheers GB.

7 minutes ago, TheShinyStuff said:

That being said, the ones you mention, like the Prospector & Buffalo etc seem to do OK, but I wouldn't go buying loads of them.

Seems sensible. And they are pretty.

Funnily enough, the posty delivered my first ever Silver Eagle today. I picked one up just so I'd have at least one in my stack. I wasn't expecting anything from it other than that, but goddam is it a good looking thing. Big in hand too.

Cheers my friend.

FNF.

2 hours ago, FourNinesFine said:

Seems sensible. And they are pretty.

Funnily enough, the posty delivered my first ever Silver Eagle today. I picked one up just so I'd have at least one in my stack. I wasn't expecting anything from it other than that, but goddam is it a good looking thing. Big in hand too.

Cheers my friend.

FNF.

which design though, you may need to have two 😂

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

Hi @FourNinesFine

I know that Baird & Co (London) produce a few different silver rounds including a 1oz silver Peregrine Falcon and a 1oz silver Monarch of the Glen (obverse images below) ...

R-AgCo1ozFalconFR-AgCo1ozMonF

The reverse on each of these rounds simply shows the Baird & Co logo.

Not sure how well 'established' they are, in terms of years of production. But, they tend to be competitively priced. Although, the minimum order quantity is set at 10 rounds.

Their full range of silver rounds is viewable here ...

https://www.bairdmint.com/silver/silver-rounds

Regards,

NeutronJack

4 minutes ago, Gordy said:

they aint too bad either... 

just to add though, I aint got any and no, i wont swap for my new St Bees Bar.... 😂🖕😂

1 minute ago, FourNinesFine said:

Interestingly, snooping around the Bairds website, I got my first glance at retail Rhodium.  Considering picking up a kilo!  🤡

at £7.6k for half an ounce its a bargain.... pick me up a kilo too, James is paying 😂

I have been finding in these topsy turvy times,  that Britannias are only slightly more expensive than generic silver rounds here in the USA.  So sometimes I just get the Britannias.  Currently they are 70¢ more but the differential has been even less than that.

A number of times I have looked into buying blanks for a engraving project. Unfortunately here in the the UK they are almost as expensive as a Britannia so I'm not sure it's worth while for a business to make them as rounds and are only really for the stacker community, we are notorious for throwing someone under a bus to save a penny on a Oz.

3 hours ago, Bigmarc said:

A number of times I have looked into buying blanks for a engraving project. Unfortunately here in the the UK they are almost as expensive as a Britannia so I'm not sure it's worth while for a business to make them as rounds and are only really for the stacker community, we are notorious for throwing someone under a bus to save a penny on a Oz.

Yes, we really do get hammered on silver don't we.  :(