• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1917 Gold Sovereign London Mint.

pricha

On 23/10/2021 at 17:29, dicker said:

Anyone on the forum purchase this one?

I certainly would have snatched their hand off If it had been an actual genuine 1917 London Mint sovereign, despite the scratch and edge damage where it had been removed from a jewellery mount, although I would have unpacked it under video as it does appear to be a Sydney Mint coin, although the photos are only of mediocre quality making it difficult to be certain.

It would have been very interesting.

The web page throws open a few questions, apart from it appearing to have an "S" mintmark:

Was it only a mock-up or spoof page?

If it was a serious listing, did it sell, and did the buyer return the coin for refund or replacement?

Does the buyer wrongly think he is in possession of a 1917 London Mint sovereign?

Is the buyer actually in possession of a 1917 London Mint sovereign?

If so, why didn't the dealer remove or correct the page?

I can think of many more questions... 😎

Chards

Looks to be a mintmark there to my eye, almost certainly a S

On 23/10/2021 at 17:35, dicker said:

I suspect that a few people have tried to delete a P, M or S to pass the 1917 off as a London mint version. That’s not easy or I suspect all that convincing   

Best

Dicker

It is known I believe

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon