• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Humanium Metal

Has anyone heard of or had experience with this type of metal before?

I ordered a Princess Diana commemorative coin for what would have been her 60th birthday (think it’s from the London Mint) and had the option of having it crafted from “Humanium” metal instead of presumably pewter. It’s called Humanium because it’s the melted down metal from illegal firearms seized from war zones and other places in such disarray.

It was an extra 20 or so pounds so thought hell why not - it’s plated in 24 carat “fair mined” gold too - presumably supposedly ethically sourced gold.

Anyway, was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this metal.

Is it just a gimmick to prey on our hearts and sensibilities or do you think it could be / already is something of potential value?

2 hours ago, Tafmeister said:

I ordered a Princess Diana commemorative coin for what would have been her 60th birthday (think it’s from the London Mint) and had the option of having it crafted from “Humanium” metal instead of presumably pewter. It’s called Humanium because it’s the melted down metal from illegal firearms seized from war zones and other places in such disarray.

It was an extra 20 or so pounds so thought hell why not - it’s plated in 24 carat “fair mined” gold too - presumably supposedly ethically sourced gold.

Is it just a gimmick to prey on our hearts and sensibilities or do you think it could be / already is something of potential value?

Not really sure about this one, I like the idea but not in the investment zone. Let's face it most of us would have to buy a few tons of this stuff to offset the gold and silver what we already have. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like a nice set of former AK-47 taps in the bathroom.

On 14/08/2021 at 11:38, Tafmeister said:

There is no longer any such entity as the "London Mint", and has not been since about 1975. The Royal Mint relocated from London to Llantrisant starting in 1969.

What you refer to as the London Mint is almost certainly the misleadingly named London Mint Office, which is the UK subsidiary of a large coin marketing company called Samlerhuset based in Germany.

LMO and Samlerhuset are wll known for misleading advertising and selling modern issue commemorative, and also some historic coins, at prices which most TSF members, and I, would consider to be rip-off prices. They are highly skilled at promotion and marketing, but it is quite unlikely that anything they sell will be a sound investment.

Humanium is not a type of metal, but a brand name. You could read the Wikipedia page about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanium_Metal

IMO Humanium coins are as you say just a gimmick, but not just to prey on our hearts and sensibilities, but to prise money from the gullible. 🙂

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

I'd avoid these too tbh, I agree with the other posts above.  In addition I avoid made up commermoratives, like for what would have been Diana's 60th birthday - if you think about it they just make up anything and there are unlimited excuses they can come up with for issuing "limited" coins.  I also see most of these are base metal with no real value, but selling at prices as if they were precious metals.   I see boxes and boxes full of these for sale for 20 to 30 quid on the secondary market, but I bet these were sold for hundreds and thousands when new.  Having said that, if there are designs anyone likes then maybe the best thing to do is pick them up super cheap by the box load on the secondary market and never buy new.  Not an investment - just maybe something that appeals to you :)

Sustainably sourced & dolphin friendly tuna still contains dolphin meat...  an analogy for fair mined gold perhaps...

Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like I may well have paid way too much for what it is - but I’ll chalk this up to inexperience on my part and perhaps; not being familiar with the rep of this mint and perhaps getting a little sold on the ‘do goodie’ part that’s the ‘Humanium’ brand! 

Thankfully I only sunk about 25 - 30 into this so it isn’t a huge loss - I’ll live and I’ll learn ha!