• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Need advice on buying Gold bars

muneeb

(Not recommending, just stating my opinion for my stack)

For me, its about the weight acquired. 10g would have lower premium per gram, smaller coins have higher premiums per gram. So I would buy one 10 gram instead of multiple fractionals. Although personally, outside of 1 oz bars; I stick to sovereigns which are a great fractional coin available at decent premiums. I did buy a ''1 gram bar'' as a novelty. 

A bar generally has no numismatic value or extra desirability but you can probably still sell at the premium when selling peer to peer. If you sell to any dealer around the world, all that matters is the weight of the gold in the bars. 

Personally I'm into coins not bars, not going into why again but what size you should go for depends on your (prospect) total gold stack. If it's going to be 10g and that's it and you are not going to buy on a regular basis from now on, I would go for option 2 unless you are too much put off by the higher costs, because I wouldn't like to have all my gold in just one piece which takes away the flexibility of selling only a part, at once. You could argue, this doesn't matter that much if it's only 10g anyway and it certainly also depends on what other assets you hold. For example if you have loads of silver, the argument made, plays  less a role. 

Edited by silenceissilver

If you can get options 2 and 3 for the same price as option 1, which you probably cannot,  then you'd be getting flexibility for free. Does that flexibility matter? do you intend to sell anytime soon and if so, would you like to sell in smaller quantities or sell it all in one go? Do you intend to buy more gold? Have you come across a bargain for these bars? In which case, is it a trustworthy source? Have you considered other products, coins perhaps?

Given a straight up choice, same price for all, I'd go option 2. Otherwise, I'd work out what is best price whilst comparing market value for each exact product. If none of the options are particularly good value compared to the going rate for them, then I'd probably choose something else entirely.

Bullion By Post / gold.co.uk do a refer a friend scheme. HGM sometimes, very rarely, sell bars at relatively low prices. I would need some reason to be drawn to bars which for me isn't happening right now, but I could change my mind in future.

1 minute ago, silenceissilver said:

Personally I'm into coins not bars, not going it why again but what size you should go for depends on your (prospect) total gold stack. If it's going to be 10g and that's it and you are not going to buy on a regular basis from now on, I would go for option 2 unless you are too much put off by the higher costs, because I wouldn't like to have all my gold in just one piece which takes away the flexibility of selling only a part, at once. You could argue, this doesn't matter that much if it's only 10g anyway and it certainly also depends on what other assets you hold. For example if you have loads of silver, the argument made, plays  less a role. 

You beat me to it. and worded it better 😂

1 hour ago, muneeb said:

Hi there,

I was wondering what people would recommend and why.

1)Buying 10 g gold bar

or

2) Buying a 5g bar and 2 x 2.5g bars 

or

3) Two 5g bars

None of the above. You will find many members are shaky when it comes to gold bars. Don't trust them. Too many fakes in the system. 
When you buy metal your first thought should be about when it comes to selling it. 

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

56 minutes ago, sixgun said:

None of the above. You will find many members are shaky when it comes to gold bars. Don't trust them. Too many fakes in the system. 
When you buy metal your first thought should be about when it comes to selling it. 

Thank you for your help! That’s what my thought is, buying to potentially sell. What metal would you consider as a good potential?

1 hour ago, SilverJacks said:

If you can get options 2 and 3 for the same price as option 1, which you probably cannot,  then you'd be getting flexibility for free. Does that flexibility matter? do you intend to sell anytime soon and if so, would you like to sell in smaller quantities or sell it all in one go? Do you intend to buy more gold? Have you come across a bargain for these bars? In which case, is it a trustworthy source? Have you considered other products, coins perhaps?

Given a straight up choice, same price for all, I'd go option 2. Otherwise, I'd work out what is best price whilst comparing market value for each exact product. If none of the options are particularly good value compared to the going rate for them, then I'd probably choose something else entirely.

Bullion By Post / gold.co.uk do a refer a friend scheme. HGM sometimes, very rarely, sell bars at relatively low prices. I would need some reason to be drawn to bars which for me isn't happening right now, but I could change my mind in future.

You beat me to it. and worded it better 😂

Hi, 

yes, I’ve made an offer and if that is accepted then the price is not too bad. Thinking of keeping it for a while as an investment. Compared market prices etc and I’m getting it around the same price as the 10g. Seller is from this forum too. So trust worthy hopefully.

1 hour ago, badar said:

(Not recommending, just stating my opinion for my stack)

For me, its about the weight acquired. 10g would have lower premium per gram, smaller coins have higher premiums per gram. So I would buy one 10 gram instead of multiple fractionals. Although personally, outside of 1 oz bars; I stick to sovereigns which are a great fractional coin available at decent premiums. I did buy a ''1 gram bar'' as a novelty. 

A bar generally has no numismatic value or extra desirability but you can probably still sell at the premium when selling peer to peer. If you sell to any dealer around the world, all that matters is the weight of the gold in the bars. 

Hi there, 

what coins would you suggest for me to look at ? And where do you buy these from?

I have invested in a 1 oz gold queen beast coin 2021 and 2 of these in 2 oz silver. 

regards

6 minutes ago, muneeb said:

Thank you for your help! That’s what my thought is, buying to potentially sell. What metal would you consider as a good potential?

Longer term silver has the greater potential but Ho Ho Silver is a wild horse. Most members would suggest sovereigns and half sovereigns to start with. These are easy to sell and generally well priced. There have been a lot up for sale in the last week or so. Sadly i suspect some members are feeling the pinch and are having to sell. i would invest in a silver level membership and 'follow' the UK ungraded forum trading sections. You should get emailed when other members put trades in. Otherwise you will miss many of the better sells on the forum.

Edited by sixgun

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

4 minutes ago, sixgun said:

Longer term silver has the greater potential but Ho Ho Silver is a wild horse. Most members would suggest sovereigns and half sovereigns to start with. These are easy to sell and generally well priced. There have been a lot up for sale in the last week or so. Sadly i suspect some members are feeling the pinch and are having to sell. i would invest in a silver level membership and 'follow' the UK ungraded forum trading sections. You should get emailed when other members put trades in. Otherwise you will miss many of the better sells on the forum.

Yeah, I will definitely look into this member ship and these

forums. Some people over price stuff I’m trying to get used to the prices and make sure I don’t get bumped.