• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Anyone had a Royal Mint coin with an error like this?

matt1r

Anyone came across such an error on a RM coin before? I know some are bad but this is something else 😂
I’m a bit gutted as was an amazing price but the auction house dealing with the problem have been amazing.

034283FD-4F3B-453A-9AC5-4C464EFCB8A0.jpeg

Edited by matt1r

11 minutes ago, matt1r said:

Anyone came across such an error on a RM coin before? I know some are bad but this is something else 😂
I’m a bit gutted as was an amazing price but the auction house dealing with the problem have been amazing.

It looks like the newly introduced security feature on the redesigned American Eagles!  You might have a rarity!

Security.jpg

1 hour ago, daca said:

@matt1r did you weigh the coin?

I wonder if there is a knowable difference .

No as it’s mint proof otherwise and as I’m sending back I want to keep as is. I can’t see there being much difference but I didn’t want to take the risk sending to ngc...I don’t know how they would view it to grade.

Looks like an interesting find, there is a possibility of a few with the same error.

Just going by what I see It's looks like an edge strike through, with detritus completely filling the gap between the two denticles, and maybe a partial fill of the one next to it on the collar.

If it had been broken off then the dentil would have been wider with two being joined, with more damage to the other denticles, just from the picture a filled die looks more likely. 

Most common cause is grease with compacted fluff.

I love finding these when looking through listings, however getting one straight from the Mint is a another example of poor Quality Control, as this would have been an easy spot.

Hope the next one you get is prefect, Always hate getting something from the mint only to find it has to go back. 

NGC would have maybe classed it as a Mint Error Coin with a strike through designation.