• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Oddity

SlowFrog

Hello!

First post so please be gentle! :)

I recently purchased several pre-owned sovereigns from a very reputable bullion dealer I'm sure you've all heard of. One of the coins looks visibly thicker than the others. I'm new to this and just getting into testing/measuring everything etc - if I'm using the correctly terminology, the field of the coin sits quite deep within the edge/rim. It weighs 7.97 grams and I even did a specific gravity test for the first time earlier - that came in at 18.1 using distilled water and a bit of thread to submerge it.

On the Queen's head side, the rim is even. However, on the Pistrucci side, it doesn't look centred so the rim is very thin on one side and gets thicker as it goes around if that makes sense! I'm a hobbiest 3D artist so I did a quick render to better illustrate this because my phone camera is pretty terrible! There is also a close-up shot of the coin taken through a loupe.

I feel pretty confident it's gold based on all of the tests (not magnetic, the ping sound is the same as the others, correct weight etc) but the thickness, depth of the edge and offset is troubling me. Any thoughts would be welcome! :)

Thanks in advance,

John

2016_Sovereign.jpg

Thank you both! Really appreciate your replies. I had absolutely no idea whether something like that would even be a possibility when minting a relatively modern coin. It's good to know and I'm enjoying the learning experience so thanks again - my mind has been put at ease. :)

I agree with what the others have said. Plus, there is a market for curiosities like that. I would send it off for grading and ask NGC/PCGS to confirm the strike error on the label. People collect the strike errors and will sometimes pay a decent premium for them.......when you get lemons, make lemonade my friend. 

Welcome to the forum by the way. Thanks for sharing a really interesting first thread/comment. 

18 hours ago, SlowFrog said:

Hello!

First post so please be gentle! :)

I recently purchased several pre-owned sovereigns from a very reputable bullion dealer I'm sure you've all heard of. One of the coins looks visibly thicker than the others. I'm new to this and just getting into testing/measuring everything etc - if I'm using the correctly terminology, the field of the coin sits quite deep within the edge/rim. It weighs 7.97 grams and I even did a specific gravity test for the first time earlier - that came in at 18.1 using distilled water and a bit of thread to submerge it.

On the Queen's head side, the rim is even. However, on the Pistrucci side, it doesn't look centred so the rim is very thin on one side and gets thicker as it goes around if that makes sense! I'm a hobbiest 3D artist so I did a quick render to better illustrate this because my phone camera is pretty terrible! There is also a close-up shot of the coin taken through a loupe.

I feel pretty confident it's gold based on all of the tests (not magnetic, the ping sound is the same as the others, correct weight etc) but the thickness, depth of the edge and offset is troubling me. Any thoughts would be welcome! :)

Thanks in advance,

John

2016_Sovereign.jpg

Did you try asking the dealer you bought it from?

"my phone camera is pretty terrible" Have you thought about upgrading it from an Apple to a Xiaomi or similar at 1/3rd of the price? 🙂

Chards

@AndrewSL76

Thank you for the kind welcome! The info regarding folks that collect coins with strike errors is really interesting and it didn't occur to me that it'd be worth sending off to the likes of NGC/PCGS. Before doing that, I'll try and take a better photo for you all to take a look at and update this thread if I get anywhere - it might be that it's not as significant/interesting as I made out. Appreciate your advice and thoughts!

@LawrenceChard

I haven't asked the dealer about it for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it's been a few weeks and I've only just noticed the difference. Given their reputation, I basically had so much confidence they must be real that I just put them away. In addition, I've only recently gotten myself some decent scales, a loupe and neodymium magnet - my intention was to try and pick up the odd coin from eBay (I bought a silver Morgan Dollar and fell in love with them for some reason!) and learning how to spot issues/potential fakes in silver/gold coins was part of the reason I got them out to take a look. With the goal of trying to learn more, I thought I'd post here first before bothering the dealer! :)

I do indeed have an iPhone - haha! I also have a really nice camera that I hardly ever use so the batteries need recharged - I'll take some more pics when I get the chance.

Many thanks once again - appreciate all of the replies!

John

15 hours ago, SlowFrog said:

@AndrewSL76

Thank you for the kind welcome! The info regarding folks that collect coins with strike errors is really interesting and it didn't occur to me that it'd be worth sending off to the likes of NGC/PCGS. Before doing that, I'll try and take a better photo for you all to take a look at and update this thread if I get anywhere - it might be that it's not as significant/interesting as I made out. Appreciate your advice and thoughts!

@LawrenceChard

I haven't asked the dealer about it for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it's been a few weeks and I've only just noticed the difference. Given their reputation, I basically had so much confidence they must be real that I just put them away. In addition, I've only recently gotten myself some decent scales, a loupe and neodymium magnet - my intention was to try and pick up the odd coin from eBay (I bought a silver Morgan Dollar and fell in love with them for some reason!) and learning how to spot issues/potential fakes in silver/gold coins was part of the reason I got them out to take a look. With the goal of trying to learn more, I thought I'd post here first before bothering the dealer! :)

I do indeed have an iPhone - haha! I also have a really nice camera that I hardly ever use so the batteries need recharged - I'll take some more pics when I get the chance.

Many thanks once again - appreciate all of the replies!

John

When you said "a very reputable bullion dealer I'm sure you've all heard of", the only one that came to mind was @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer!

Your query is fairly typical of questions we get from customers, and non-customers. Even if a few weeks had gone by, I would hope our Customer Service Team would have been happy to give you an answer, even if they had to check with me or one of our other numismatists, and even though we have been been very busy for the past year and a half.

If you didn't buy it from "us", then you know where to come next time, and you will probably pay less, despite our non-free postage.

BTW, if you ever want to discuss on TSF anything you bought from us, please feel free to name us and tag us in, we are quite happy to discuss (almost) anything.

Now, having failed to think of any "a very reputable bullion dealer I'm sure you've all heard of", I am trying to call to mind "a reputable bullion dealer I'm sure you've all heard of".

I'll give my brain 24 hours to think about it, then I might have to ask. 🙂

Chards

Thanks for the reply, Lawrence! I registered on your website a couple of weeks ago and fully intend to make a purchase or two in the near future. It's really heartening to read you have such an open and honest approach to the way you deal with customers.

Given that I have nothing bad to say about the "very reputable bullion dealer I'm sure you've all heard of", I don't mind mentioning that it was from Atkinson's. I have no complaints with them at all but I'll definitely give Chards a go for my next purchase.

Many thanks,

John

4 hours ago, SlowFrog said:

Thanks for the reply, Lawrence! I registered on your website a couple of weeks ago and fully intend to make a purchase or two in the near future. It's really heartening to read you have such an open and honest approach to the way you deal with customers.

Given that I have nothing bad to say about the "very reputable bullion dealer I'm sure you've all heard of", I don't mind mentioning that it was from Atkinson's. I have no complaints with them at all but I'll definitely give Chards a go for my next purchase.

Many thanks,

John

That explains a lot! 🙂

Chards