• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

First purchase of metals

Hello all,

Today is my birthday and im finally deciding I want to purchase my first ounce of silver (my first ever peice of any metal) I have around £30. Is this possible and if so what would you reccomend for someone who wants to start stacking for a pension pot.

Kindest regards to all

Lenny

14 minutes ago, Lennyforthefuture said:

Hello all,

Today is my birthday and im finally deciding I want to purchase my first ounce of silver (my first ever peice of any metal) I have around £30. Is this possible and if so what would you reccomend for someone who wants to start stacking for a pension pot.

Kindest regards to all

Lenny

Happy birthday Lenny

Postage costs might be an issue in getting a 1oz coin for under £30.

I'd say check the buy & sell section on the forum first. You will likely find something there.

Failing that, try Atkinson's bullion. They do free delivery on any order and have a section of pre-owned silver coins that will have something close to the price range.

I have Vivat Humanitas 2021 Coins on for £28.00, with 1st class standard it will come in under £30.00 or £29.00 with plain old second class... signed for will make it £30.26/£30.69 .. 2nd class/first class respectively

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

Hi Lenny, happy birthday. If you do a search of previous posts/topics you will find plenty versions of this question have been asked and answered already by far wiser and more serious stacker/collectors than me.

I have been at this with varying degrees of seriousness for about 3 years or so and if I could go back I'd tell myself to have a focus rather than just buying a bit of everything. 

If I were you I'd get some empty tubes for the coins you plan to stack (place a wanted ad on the forum - they'll cost a couple of quid each) be it Brits, Eagles, Maples, Phil's, Maples or Krugs - I'd stick to one of these. If your budget is £30/month then I'd either pick up one a month from Atkinsons pre owned or save for say 6 months and buy 6-8 at a time - this forum will probably be your best bet for that. If you can afford more than £30/month then I'd do that too, but dont spend what you cant afford.

I say get tubes because it gives you a focus and it's nice to see your tube fill up, and when it is full you will have a fair old chunk of silver in your hand. Then start another. It's pretty addictive though...

Good luck and have fun. 

Hi, Lenny, happy birthday and welcome in the wonderful world of precious metals!

Because your monthly allocation for silver is so small, and you will pay extra for postage for every small purchase, in my opinion you have only two options:

1. Find on forum every month 1oz 999 silver and pay for 2nd class postage.  The price to pay will be between £29.5 and £32.50, near your budget.

1oz Britannia or Philharmonic is always a good option, easy to buy/sell, not a huge premium.

2. You can start your silver stack with old british currency Pre47, silver content .500. Can be find easy at spot price and is very easy to sell at the same spot price. You can add an wanted advert on buy/sell section on forum and for sure a lot of stackers will be happy to sell to you every month 100g pre47 silver coins.  100g x 0.500 (silver purity) x £0.6/g (spot price today) + £2.50 (shipping) = £32.50. 

Buying 100g "junk silver .500", is a very good option for someone with a very tight budget, because in reality you are accumulating equivalent 50g pure silver, not only 31.1g pure silver for the same price.

Happy stacking, Lenny, and show us your first purchase.🤗

Stefan.