• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

TEAM GB 50P

Hi

FYI if you didn't manage to get the TEAM GB silver piedfort 50p from the RM which are sold out at £105 -  and you still would like one...WESTMINSTER COINS .... have them but are charging £125. I wasn't that interested in them but did get the colored BU version for £20.

regards 

I did not see the point in spending £20 on nickel and do not consider piedforts at all. Went for the 925 silver proof. Does anyone know why it was £10 more expensive than the John Logie Baird silver proof 50p?

Edited by Shell
Spelling Error🤪

4 minutes ago, Shell said:

And another thing, why do the Royal Mint not make their 50p coins pure PM?

Because a lot of uneducated people think they are buying somehting that will go up in value, but in essence is worthless and will remain that way. 😛
I dont see any point in buy-in a silver 50p for £100, when i could get 2 dog privy brits or a griffin QB for less than that. ;)

Edited by Stacktastic

6 hours ago, Shell said:

Good question and it's one that has been on my mind ever since I started collecting.

I'd definitely be interested in 999.9 pure gold 50p's!

Mixing copper to a gold coin to make it more durable?? 

These types of coins aren't for circulation and not for handling, so why add only copper to new coins?

I don't see copper going sky high, adding more value to coins like these.

Edited by GoldenGriffin

42 minutes ago, GoldenGriffin said:

Its microcosm of the bigger picture. 
If you cant trust the 'royal' mint to not be capitalist phycological sales techniques con men
How can you trust any other institution or industrial & service lead behemoth (ie F-Book). 

I quite like the Soverigns like that, but i bet its because they can reduce the cost. ;)
Lets face it your not going to be throwing it around and leaving in the bottom of a coin jar are you!! 

1 hour ago, Stacktastic said:

Lets face it your not going to be throwing it around and leaving in the bottom of a coin jar are you!! 

Absolutely not! 😅

I've got a sovereign on its way back from grading and come to think of it,

when I take a look at the high resolution images for the 70 grades

in pure gold against copper rich gold, the copper rich gold sovereign

has a lot less imperfections than the pure gold coins and none of them were sent for restoration.

So, adding copper to gold maybe has other advantages, other than possibly costing less! 😊

8 hours ago, Shell said:

Fifty pence coins are basically a circulation coin, so nowadays are made in base metal.

Silver proof ones follow a tradition of UK silver coins being made of .925 sterling silver (as in pound sterling), or after 1946, from .500 fine silver. They are not intended as a bullion coin, and are not priced as a bullion coin.

Silver stackers wil prefer to buy bullion silver coins, most of which are now made in .999 silver, but do remember that when silver Britannias were introduce, they were made in Britannia silver .958(33) fine silver, which was 23/24. (23 carat silver? 🙂)

There is no good reason to make UK silver proof coins in 999 silver (and also note that even .999 silver is not pure silver).

Chards

6 hours ago, GoldenGriffin said:

Good question and it's one that has been on my mind ever since I started collecting.

I'd definitely be interested in 999.9 pure gold 50p's!

These types of coins aren't for circulation and not for handling, so why add only copper to new coins?

I don't see copper going sky high, adding more value to coins like these.

I just answered Shell's similar question, but as he had previously mentioned silver, I answered in respect of silver.

The answer in relation to gold is very similar. 22ct gold has long been a standard for British gold coins, sovereigns for example. 

It is only with the recent introduction of fine gold for bullion coins, which do not need to be durable for circulation, that investors, and to some extent collectors, have had the choice of fine gold.

Also remember when the Canadian gold maple leaf was first introduced, in 1979, it was only .999 fine, and not .9999 fine.

If mints made all their commemorative gold coins in fine gold, they would either make them lighter, or increase the price, so there is no real benefit for the stacker or investor.

One dumb thing that does apply, though, is that the British Royal Mint have apparently decided that its gold coins were traditionally made of red gold, rather than yellow gold.

In this belief, they are wrong, and typically for the Royal Mint, they will probably never realise or admit it. If any Mint officials were sufficiently interested in coins or numismatics, and bothered to look at "older" sovereigns, they would notice that they look yellow, similar to pure gold, whereas very recent sovereigns look a cheap, nasty red colour.

The difference is made by the use or addition of small amounts of silver in the alloy. Three parts per thousand is more than enough to ensure a pleasant yellow colour. 1887 Victoria London Mint jubilee head sovereigns were deliberately made using about 6 ppt of silver, and these can be easily picked out by the colour alone.

Edited by LawrenceChard
typos

Chards