• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Where Can I Buy Equipment To Test Silver

StackerJack

Hi Everyone, sorry for the newbie questions. Before I make any purchases, I would like to be able to test the silver on arrival, I did a search about what equipment I needed, I read a caliper would be helpful and also magnets, can anyone please point me in the right direction as to where I can buy them from. Thank you in advance if you take the time to answer. 

Neodymium magnets are on eBay and there should be you tube videos that show you how to slide them down coins and bars at an angle.

Don't keep them in your pocket next to your phone or bank cards.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=neodymium%20magnets%20silver%20test&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

That said, if I buy recent coins from a well known dealer I am unlikely to test them.

I got my calipers and magnet from ebay 

A good way to test if  silver ( or any metal is real)  is to use the specific gravity test   which is quite simple if you have scales, a bowl of water, a little cotton thread  and if your maths his like mine a calculator 

15 minutes ago, StackerJack said:

4 Nines, Have you got a link for the calipers Thank You The later sounds like an experimental science test lol. 

He doesnt appear to have anymore calipers sorry .

It may sound like an experiment but it quite easy and  IMO its a lot more accurate that the magnet 

Testing silver coins - size, weight and ( specific gravity if necessary ).

Bars and other stuff - more difficult but specific gravity would take care of odd shapes for sure.

Acid tests can stain damage the surface permanently and may only test the outside so if thick plated you could be fooled.

Ping test ( acoustic resonances ) coins also works if you can locate the relevant dominant frequencies on the web.

If in doubt don't buy it and get some genuine items first for comparison from reputable sources.

If you are buying the most common 1 oz coins (e.g. eagles, maples, britannias, kangaroos, pandas, etc.) then you can perform the acoustic test using an app such as Bullion Test. This is available for Android phones and costs about $4. You just ping the coin and let the app listen to the ring, and it tells you whether it is genuine: it is one of the most sensitive tests going. It won't help with bars.

11 hours ago, Bumble said:

If you are buying the most common 1 oz coins (e.g. eagles, maples, britannias, kangaroos, pandas, etc.) then you can perform the acoustic test using an app such as Bullion Test. This is available for Android phones and costs about $4. You just ping the coin and let the app listen to the ring, and it tells you whether it is genuine: it is one of the most sensitive tests going. It won't help with bars.

I did a video on that a little while back.

7 hours ago, Cointreau said:

Garthy, That sounds like an authentic London accent to me.

It is Cointreau, grew up in Victoria but have since moved to Essex due to stupid house prices, the cheapest 2 bed flat there now will set you back 700,000, the only people that can afford it are the very rich or the very lazy, I missed it at first but it's good to be out, still work there though.

Archived