• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Equipment for testing silver & gold

Slam

Hi, 

Apoligies if this has been posted before and dumb questions but I couldn't find something that was recent (this year). I did found a post about reliable silver testing but it mentions about copper material being unreliable to test with, so wasn't sure about the product I list below.

I read that a magnet is a good way to test if silver is real. So I have been looking at this at £5.90 with prime delivery:

50pcs Neodymium Magnets, Strong Rare Earth Magnets, for Crafts, Science, DIY and Refrigerator Magnets (10x2 mm) 

Would this do? It does mention the mterial is Neodymium , Nickel , Copper so not sure if I needed to get 100% Neodymium or not, also is it best to get 3mm thick or is 2mm ok?

Whilst i was there I was looking at a scale: Scale.

Are both efficient enough to test silver & gold?

Assuming the same method by sliding the magnet can be used to test gold (Reading BullionByPost article suggest so)?

Thanks in advance

The best non-destructive test for silver & gold is a specific gravity test.
A powerful magnet will grab any ferrous metals and it just happens that Nd is an element that is synonymous with inexpensive strong permanent magnets.
The sliding magnet test on silver might give you comfort but not peace of mind so the best suggestion is to know/trust your seller.
Gold coins have specified dimensions and weights and are impossible to fake if you know how to take accurate measurements.
Larger gold bars can contain tungsten and you cannot test for this at home.

I mainly do silver and use a magnetic slide for 2oz and 1oz coins and bars and anything to big for my slide i use a magnet, i went for the 10mm x 3mm as it gives it a wee bit more strength as these magnets break easily.

I also use precision scales and a digital caliper and even do ice cubes, but not often, thats just for fun.

If i'm still not 100 i will gravity check it but generally if i know and trust the seller a quick (by habit) slide test is enough for me... any bought from ebay get everything to make sure.. 

Make full notes of what the dimensions should be and be very wary of Scottsdale bars off ebay, i dont even know if there are any genuine ones for sale on there

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

4 hours ago, Slam said:

Hi, 

Apoligies if this has been posted before and dumb questions but I couldn't find something that was recent (this year). I did found a post about reliable silver testing but it mentions about copper material being unreliable to test with, so wasn't sure about the product I list below.

I read that a magnet is a good way to test if silver is real. So I have been looking at this at £5.90 with prime delivery:

50pcs Neodymium Magnets, Strong Rare Earth Magnets, for Crafts, Science, DIY and Refrigerator Magnets (10x2 mm) 

Would this do? It does mention the mterial is Neodymium , Nickel , Copper so not sure if I needed to get 100% Neodymium or not, also is it best to get 3mm thick or is 2mm ok?

Whilst i was there I was looking at a scale: Scale.

Are both efficient enough to test silver & gold?

Assuming the same method by sliding the magnet can be used to test gold (Reading BullionByPost article suggest so)?

Thanks in advance

Those scales are ok too.. decent tolerance and decent results

20 minutes ago, Gordy said:

Those scales are ok too.. decent tolerance and decent results

I bought this Brifit one 2 weeks ago which is 14.99 but comes with the 50g calibration weight. The readings for my ounce coins were spot on with 0.01g accuracy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Precision-Calibration-Function-Stainless-Included/dp/B07LFC7WJH/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=brifit+scales&qid=1616953253&sr=8-3

Thanks, will order the 10x2mm magnets and will get scales at a later date.

I don't plan on buying on ebay but do plan on buying online stores and in person.

Would silver dealers (shops) find it offensive to get out a scale and magnet to test in front of their faces, is it like frowned upon?

Don't want to cause offence to anyone but don't want to get ripped off also. 

Never been to a silver/gold shop before but would imagine if I get out my own tools to test their coins they wouldn't like that.

9 minutes ago, Slam said:

Thanks, will order the 10x2mm magnets and will get scales at a later date.

I don't plan on buying on ebay but do plan on buying online stores and in person.

Would silver dealers (shops) find it offensive to get out a scale and magnet to test in front of their faces, is it like frowned upon?

Don't want to cause offence to anyone but don't want to get ripped off also. 

Never been to a silver/gold shop before but would imagine if I get out my own tools to test their coins they wouldn't like that.

not advisable to get ya tool oot in a shop

8 hours ago, Gordy said:

not advisable to get ya tool oot in a shop

Disagree. It's common for folks to get out a scale or calipers when buying at a shop. Though realistically you're unlikely to ever receive fakes from reputable dealers.

As far as testing, there are some other options. One is the Fisch, a nifty tool that measures both the dimensions of the coin and its weight at the same time. The weight is measured specifically matching that particular coin – the tool only works for some of the major coins, like Eagles. It uses a balance to give a yes or no on the coin, rather than being a scale with numbers. You'll have to check it out to understand how it works.

There are also smartphone apps now that test coins. The main method seems to be sound analysis. I was skeptical, but some of them appear to work. This one has has good reviews: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cointester.cointester

You can also learn to validate coins just using your ears. Some people are quite capable in that regard. Silver makes a distinctive ring when struck gently by various metal objects.

Whatever you're looking to get do some homework specifically for coin or bar ie know the Finnish that's ment to be on it weight ct if it's gold dimensions overlooked details lettering details and what years coins are available ie 2nd head Elisabeth sovereigns (I do believe) are only available in proof so any bullion style will be fake 

4 hours ago, Bimetallic said:

Disagree. It's common for folks to get out a scale or calipers when buying at a shop. Though realistically you're unlikely to ever receive fakes from reputable dealers.

As far as testing, there are some other options. One is the Fisch, a nifty tool that measures both the dimensions of the coin and its weight at the same time. The weight is measured specifically matching that particular coin – the tool only works for some of the major coins, like Eagles. It uses a balance to give a yes or no on the coin, rather than being a scale with numbers. You'll have to check it out to understand how it works.

There are also smartphone apps now that test coins. The main method seems to be sound analysis. I was skeptical, but some of them appear to work. This one has has good reviews: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cointester.cointester

You can also learn to validate coins just using your ears. Some people are quite capable in that regard. Silver makes a distinctive ring when struck gently by various metal objects.

my comment was an off the cuff joke ... haha

Archived