• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1oz bars, in the plastic or out?

Connor

So this has been something I've wondered about for a while and a conversation earlier has prompted me to ask a few of you, are bars best kept in the plastic seal they are often delivered in? Does it impact the value or how sellable they are by removing them and putting them in capsules?

If they're the generic size bar then I take them out and put them in a capsule but some bars are a slightly different size. The Sharps Pixley London landscape bar is slightly smaller, so I've kept these in the plastic seal.

37 minutes ago, MickB said:

If they're the generic size bar then I take them out and put them in a capsule but some bars are a slightly different size. The Sharps Pixley London landscape bar is slightly smaller, so I've kept these in the plastic seal.

Thanks mate. And you wouldn't say it would impact their value or how sellable they are? I would hate to put a load in capsules only to find out down the line that it has knocked a bit of value off them, and to be honest it's something I've already been doing quite often

Most plastic used as a wrapper for bullion is of a type that is cheap and easily scuffed.
Over time some brands become brittle and some will start to disintegrate or get slightly cloudy.
The early PAMP silver bars were housed in a brittle plastic that falls apart with age and can actually damage the bar inside.
This is why they later switched to their plastic cassettes.
If you can find a capsule that snugly fits your bar then that's worth considering.
One of the problems with small bullion bars that are in some sort of sealed plastic is that the buyer begins to suspect maybe this is fake as you cannot easily measure it.
Depends on the source of course.
With that in mind selling might be trickier if you don't get rid of the plastic.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Most plastic used as a wrapper for bullion is of a type that is cheap and easily scuffed.
Over time some brands become brittle and some will start to disintegrate or get slightly cloudy.
The early PAMP silver bars were housed in a brittle plastic that falls apart with age and can actually damage the bar inside.
This is why they later switched to their plastic cassettes.
If you can find a capsule that snugly fits your bar then that's worth considering.
One of the problems with small bullion bars that are in some sort of sealed plastic is that the buyer begins to suspect maybe this is fake as you cannot easily measure it.
Depends on the source of course.
With that in mind selling might be trickier if you don't get rid of the plastic.

Makes sense to me, cheers Pete 

Personally I really don't like the products that are sealed and not designed to be opened.  If I don't open them I can't properly check them.  If I do open them I ruin the re-sale potential.

I just avoid them.  I prefer the big plain bars, 1 KG etc.  I don't have any because the downside is the premiums for such are high. 

I think they don't want me to purchase bulk amounts, rather I buy less, more fancy pancy shiny items.

For me it was about storage trying to store 100ish 1oz bars in omp was a pain took up so much space, (Scott's, asahi ect) I got some generic 1oz tubes for bars and keep them in there now. Heck of alot less space used as I view them as silver with no numismatic value so odd scratches are acceptable 

Depends what it is. I have kept a 007 bar I recently bought in the OMP. 

In 30 years it will be more desirable to collectors, just as the vintage bars I own now that are still in OMP are more desirable. 

What are you thinking about opening? 

58 minutes ago, HGr said:

Depends what it is. I have kept a 007 bar I recently bought in the OMP. 

In 30 years it will be more desirable to collectors, just as the vintage bars I own now that are still in OMP are more desirable. 

What are you thinking about opening? 

Funnily enough some 007 bars and some NWTM get out of dodge bars (have a mix some in capsules some in OMP)

Archived