• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

what to buy for maximum increase

craig12

assuming the world dosent go into recession , and world war 3 , and by a slim chance America corrects itself back to normality with reducing its debt borrowing

what silver should be purchased for maximum profit in years to come (assuming spot is a lot higher)

is it better to buy tubes of bullion coins, 1 0z bars,  / 10 oz bars /1  kilo bars  /10 oz coins / graded coins/

what item or items will give the biggest % increase  when sold back to a dealer or private sale

regards

That's the million dollar question! Stackers are fairly secretive and are unlikely to divulge their strategy.

However, in my opinion look at past trends. What is expensive or has a high premium over spot just now will continue to do so in the future.

Hint : it won't be Maples, Silver Eagles or generic rounds.

In my opinion, it's whatever gives the best price per ounce when buying, will be the best return per ounce when selling. I am working on the assumption that for any silver piece - whether its a bar, coin, or round - it's value is the inherent metal content and no more. Anything extra (such as numismatic value you might get for a collectable coin) at time of resale would be a bonus. Thus if you can afford them, in theory the big bars like 1kg or 5kg would be ideal. 

However there is also the issue of liquidity, and stacking nothing but 5kg bars is going to limit who you can realistically sell to later on. This is why smaller bars and coins are popular I believe, because they are affordable and easier to re-sell, even if they aren't always the best value. 

So, I reckon on some big bars purely for value, and bullion coins and some smaller bars for liquidity. Of course if you can get coins with reduced VAT (or purchase bars offshore and store them there) then that may skew the answer depending on what's cheaper, as purchase costs come down by up to 20%. 

Silver bullion is a commodity so will fluctuate with the market.

Treat it as if it were coffee beans, oil or orange juice.

The market will determine the price.

However, numismatic coins are like fine wines or art - the price will be governed by what someone is willing to pay.

is it fair to say then that if youre going to but more expensive coins , ie pandas , lunas etc  , then they should only be sold on e bay or private,

will sites like atkinsons and bullion by post , will they have just the one buy back price per oz  or will they also have a buy back price for pandas and lunas

is it fair to say then that if youre going to but more expensive coins , ie pandas , lunas etc , then they should only be sold on e bay or private,

will sites like atkinsons and bullion by post , will they have just the one buy back price per oz or will they also have a buy back price for pandas and lunas

Not sure, but semi-numi will need to be sold on eBay or through forums etc.

If spot is £100, I'll happily sell for melt and wish I'd gone with cheapo bullion. Ha ha

Stacker since 2013

is it fair to say then that if youre going to but more expensive coins , ie pandas , lunas etc  , then they should only be sold on e bay or private,

will sites like atkinsons and bullion by post , will they have just the one buy back price per oz  or will they also have a buy back price for pandas and lunas

Check out CoinInvest on line as they list their buy back prices.

Take note of the buy back prices of premium coins.

Fundamentally assume selling back to bullion dealers you will get spot i.e. scrap value for silver.

Forums and eBay will give you a higher price for Kooks etc but take out of your gain the 15% approx total costs selling on the Bay with PP.

If you want quick liquidity then buy the best price per oz. It'll be easy to off load to minimal (or even just 1) dealer at a later date.

As mentioned, nums and semi nums are governed by what someone is willing to pay. You won't be able to off load quantity quickly and will have to do work to shift them for max profit.

Look at it this way. If you buy 1000oz today at £14 and spot hits £20 in 2 years, you could dump everything for £19/oz instantly. Let's say you bought 1000 in Lunars, Pandas, kooks and the likes at an average of £16 (from the EU). Off loading the same way will net you £2 less/oz. You will need to sell for at least £2 more for the same return and if you're going the private route, you're not going to off load 1000oz any time soon at the rates you want. Then again, dealers may pay you the £21 you need if they feel they can make a good return on the sought after bullion.

• Founder & Administrator

If you want to sell back to dealers in the UK then then you should consider buying gold bullion in my opinion.

Selling silver in the secondary market; I personally believe semi numismatic coins such as kookaburra, lunar, and panda coins are the better investment. Pandas are quite pricey compared to other coins but they have a lot of demand and prices of recent years have appreciated quite well even though their mintage is very high.

I stack Perth mint 1oz coins, and also have some 10oz Perth mint coins as I believe they are also good investments. Also looking to purchase some panda coins year as will start stacking those as well.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I agree with DB I believe that the smaller denominations of silver 1, 2, 5, and 10 will be the best bet.

Numis coins will do well as will the Australian coins in years to come "says he hopefully".

Yes Pandas also.

Might not necessarily be a lot of work morezone. You could sell rolls or tubes of previous year semi numis to another forum member who has the time to split them up and sell them singly on eBay etc. sure you won't get as good as a price as if you did it yourself, but you will be able to sell a lot more quickly and also get a better return than just straight bullion in my opinion.

A stacker who is stacking a very large quantity and may decided to sell all at the same time may find gold coins a good option as they can be bought with low premiums to spot.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers

50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Monitoring eBay the Perth Mint coins seem to ( most of the time ) sell at a decent premium.

Kangaroos attract very high prices, more than Kooks and Koalas.

Some sellers are very optimistic with their pricing on bullion Maples and ASEs but they don't sell at inflated prices.

Some sellers add a cheap case hoping a newbie swallows the bait - might happen once in a while.

Pandas generally sell well but not sure about 2013 and 2014 and there are lots of concerns about fakes on the Bay.

Pre-2013 Britannias are also popular and often get a decent price but selling today you must be desperate.

Nothing is guaranteed in life and premium prices now are with current demand and may not be so in the future,i bought some corgi models about 15 years ago and they have less than halved in value,because lots where bought to be hoarded and resold and are always available, It is the rarity and availability that will keep the price high, if we are all stacking the same stuff and all selling in 15 years time so easy to buy some.

I saw one of these antique programmers on T.V.   and the dealers went round the house and made bids on everything, silver and gold coin ,regardless of collect ability was bought for under spot.

We must have in place in case of our demise the value of our stacks and where to resale for our loved one's other wise it will be sold for silly money down the we buy your gold and silver fly by nights in town.

If your buying to collect/invest the real low mintage stuff looks a better bet.

If your investing in P.M. buy as much as you can in one go as cheap as you can and don't worry what the hell it is because it is going in the melting pot.

My flag to the mast is as cheap as i can get it because stuff i have bought in the past has not retained value, all i want is a commodity i can cash in as an alternative savings plan to add to my portfolio

I have the odd Panda because i like them..

I am still new to this game, so my monthly purchases of silver varies, and I seem to change my plan as often as a women changes clothes.

However doing more research specifically on what coins give the best returns, I have concluded that to get the most Oz for my money I will do the following,

At today's prices, buy the highest premium coins you can get your hands on I.E Panda's (not talking collector coins, only Semi-numi and bullion) Once spot reaches to a decent level, trade 10 Panda.s for like 12 - 15 oz of generic Silver/bullion coins. What do you guys think?? 

I am selling all my generic silver, and sticking with high premium coins and Britannia;s 

The more I stack and learn more things, I am leaning towards the highest premium stuff, until spot hits like 20 quid an oz, then I will be buying bullion coins minted from governments such as Britannia's Philharmonics, and Noah Ark Coins  When I started stacking I went for the generic/cheapest silver for my money, however quickly learnt by selling a few oz on ebay that I will only receive Spot price or just abit over spot if I am lucky.

My favourite premium silver 

Panda's - Can get for good price, couple of quid over spot 

Pamp Suisse Bars - Shockingly high premium, spot is at 11.50 and I cannot find any of them going below 23-25 quid per bar. Only have 1 at the moment, looking for a good supplier who wont charge over the moon for the pamp bars. At these prices I will pay maximum 20 quid per bar for the pamp stuff. 

New Series coins set by refiners for e.g Perth Mint with the great white shark coin. I bought a few tubes, and plan on doing so with every coin they bring out for there wildlife series. Will not purchase any silver coins from the canadian royal mint until they sort out the milk spot issues.

Perth Mint - Lunar series. Have not got any yet, and most likely will not until the next lunar horse coin is released.  

Im spread. 

About 20% in sterling silver items be it jewellery or other. totally liquid, can be sold anywhere be it a market or any pawn shop and very easy to transport

20% in well known bars Metalor, Mathey, Umicore etc. Best bang for buck 

20% in semi numis, perths , zodiac, pandas, wolves, lydians  etc reasonable increase over time above spot 

40% in what i call regulars,brits Maples,Phillis, Arks, eagles etc just the easiest way to stack and most recognisable 

Do not stack Numis collections or generic rounds, just a personal preference thing.

Reason for all this is quite simple. I like to keep the options open.  

Any UK junk coins VK?  Is that part of your sterling line-up?

I've always thought that you could sell the 50% coins near spot however I heard that in the 70's when many people were dumping silver only 999 achieved spot due to backlogs at the refiners.

Pre decimal silver coins but I never pay more than 2% over spot, which includes delivery.

Bullion bars I buy direct from the refiner.

In regards to bullion coins, I buy alot of different types. The only ones I expect might be worth more than the others are Kiwi Treasures. I buy as many as I can / or my dealer allows me to have. Usually 10 at a time. If you could find Kiwi's for £30-£35 even now, I'd buy alot.

Otherwise you could get lucky and once a coin has sold out it becomes desirable such as the Canadian Timber Wolves.

Remember to always (well 99% of the time) to stay away from any "collectable" junk from the Royal Mint.

If you can get cheap graded coins, it might be a good shout, as when prices will increase, they'll always be a bigger fool to buy them for a silly premium.

I am not familiar with these kiwi coins, anyone have a picture?

Discounts / Offers

Are these the kiwi coins your talking about?

http://www.coininvest.com/en/silver-coins/kiwi/new-zealand-1-kiwi-1oz-silver-bu-2012/

Price is a bit expensive at £32.06? though does include 20% VAT.

Mintage of 13,500. So If there is demand I guess the price is not that bad, similar sort of statistics to the Stock Horse coin, around 10k mintage and under £35.

Discounts / Offers

Archived