• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Platinum Bullion Coins

LawrenceChard

Pity the seller margins on Platinum are about double what they were earlier in the year including the European Mint and GS.be where you could once grab a bargain and avoid the additional 20% VAT in the UK. Lack of supply maybe pushing up the prices even though spot has dropped recently and I was looking to add to my QB collection.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Pity the seller margins on Platinum are about double what they were earlier in the year including the European Mint and GS.be where you could once grab a bargain and avoid the additional 20% VAT in the UK. Lack of supply maybe pushing up the prices even though spot has dropped recently and I was looking to add to my QB collection.

Yes, I did a very quick price check recently, and has astounded at horrified at most of the rip-off prices being asked. I think BbP were asking 30+% premium plus VAT! Others were similar, but I did not do a comprehensive trawl, neither did our team, although it appears overdue.

Perhaps they were all asking stupid prices because we were not active in the new platinum market.

In fairness, platinum does cost more to refine, alloy, and process than gold, but this might account for an extra 1% or so.

Watch this space!

Chards

1 minute ago, LawrenceChard said:

Yes, I did a very quick price check recently, and has astounded at horrified at most of the rip-off prices being asked. I think BbP were asking 30+% premium plus VAT! Others were similar, but I did not do a comprehensive trawl, neither did our team, although it appears overdue.

Perhaps they were all asking stupid prices because we were not active in the new platinum market.

In fairness, platinum does cost more to refine, alloy, and process than gold, but this might account for an extra 1% or so.

Watch this space!

Watching with interest as I think Pt is grossly undervalued as a precious metal, compared to gold, but that's my personal viewpoint.

44 minutes ago, Pete said:

Watching with interest as I think Pt is grossly undervalued as a precious metal, compared to gold, but that's my personal viewpoint.

I completely agree.

I don't have exact statistics to hand, but from memory, over most of the past 50 years, platinum has generally been at a premium over gold, typically up to about 10%.

Currently it is at a 50% discount.

I am aware that some of platinum's modern uses includes vehicle exhaust system catalytic converters. I think palladium has been used as a substitute, but that seems crazy considering the high price of palladium in recent years. The growth of electric vehicles will mean that catalytic converter use is likely to fade away to zero.

Perhaps I need to study other industrial uses of platinum, but I do not expect this to reveal an answer.

A few months ago, I was "plugging" silver when it rose above a Gold:Silver ratio of 80, and was incredulous when it reached 100+, then 120+. At the time, we switched some of our discretionary stock investment from gold into silver. Since then, we have unwound it in favour of platinum, and will continue to do so until we see some major changes in ratios.

Ideally, we would be able to buy the 4 major precious metals as VAT exempt investments, but I doubt that will happen soon. 

Meanwhile, our company does offer VAT free silver and platinum for delivery outside the EU. Although we incur, and pass on storage charges, these are about half the Royal Mint's charging levels. As these always include insurance, for most investors this will be much cheaper and more secure than insuring them privately.

Chards

Once we have ended the EU transition period 2 months from now, most of us will struggle to purchase VAT free, but if you reside in Ireland, nothing will change.
Wonder how that will work with 2nd hand silver & platinum shipping from Dublin to Belfast, or if your house is on the border moving from your back bedroom to your front bedroom ?

I haven't a clue about hydrogen fuel cells but I always knew Platinum was a critical part of this technology.
Fuel cells convert hydrogen into electricity with a waste product of water so used in space craft consuming hydrogen and oxygen ( the components of water ).
With lots of work in some countries ( Japan ) using hydrogen as a fuel moving at a higher pace, I wonder if they are using platinum, even if in small amounts but the growth in demand could come later.
However if the price rises too much there will usually be an alternative discovered involving nano-technology so keeping the price in check but it ought to be similar to gold.

I love platinum, as a metal.I started off with gold, however Platinum slowly took over.

I am more of a collector, than a stacker, however have found it hard to find any Platinum at a reasonable price, never seems to be as readily available, as Silver or Gold.      

Maybe platinum will have its moment in the sun in 2022, assuming that The Queen makes it to her platinum Jubilee and the Royal Mint comes up with some really nice platinum commemorative bullion.

I also think it's undervalued and have been adding a few hundred quid to my Platinum ETF every couple of months.  

I love the 1 oz physical platinum UK bullion coins but am not currently looking to buy any more.  This may change!

On 02/11/2020 at 20:35, Stuntman said:

Maybe platinum will have its moment in the sun in 2022, assuming that The Queen makes it to her platinum Jubilee and the Royal Mint comes up with some really nice platinum commemorative bullion.

It will for the RM - fancy box and a certificate - double the price of the metal.
Bit like buying a brand new car to see it depreciate before you even get inside for the first minute.

As for regular bullion the margins are currently OTT possibly due to scarcity of coins and sellers taking advantage hoping for a killing.
Just have to be patient and when Pt returns the prices should normalise.

Hi all, 

Does somebody know a good source for Queen's Beasts platinum coins?

I saw them at gs.be and some scattered dealers in Germany, but given their premiums, I would better shop around a bit. I think I checked all the forum's sponsors but noone had any of the earlier beasts, as far as I can see. 

Thanks for any input... 

Archived