• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

British pre1947 Circulated Silver

Arbkev

Hi all

Is it worth having the above in your stack if you can pick it up at spot or below.

I know "junk silver" is popular in the states, but is it easy to sell on in the uk and what sort of percentage of spot could you expect to sell it for.

Thanks

Arbkev

I've been dabbling in buying pre 1947 silver. I've been getting it at spot + postage for a bigger lot. I do only have part of my silver in it but I (personally) would only work out its value versus scrap weight when it comes to it.  Not an expert though 

I've got a few hundred grams and I find them great to look at as you can actually hold them without worrying about damaging them I just see them as a fractional silver not sure how easy they would be to shift though I might put some on here today as an experiment but they usually sell for around half of spot per gram as they are 50% silver but if they are nice ones you can get more like the rocking horse crown that definitely fetches a premium with it the same with the gothic Victoria too 

20201023_081554.thumb.jpg.df33f92cec0b273b7f0112231091987e.jpg20201023_081547.thumb.jpg.9d2676630f7179a56086567b63089fd0.jpg

8 minutes ago, Peterheat said:

I've got a few hundred grams and I find them great to look at as you can actually hold them without worrying about damaging them I just see them as a fractional silver not sure how easy they would be to shift though I might put some on here today as an experiment but they usually sell for around half of spot per gram as they are 50% silver but if they are nice ones you can get more like the rocking horse crown that definitely fetches a premium with it the same with the gothic Victoria too 

20201023_081554.thumb.jpg.df33f92cec0b273b7f0112231091987e.jpg20201023_081547.thumb.jpg.9d2676630f7179a56086567b63089fd0.jpg

Nice coin

7 minutes ago, greendragon said:

I started to collect a few

then i realised that half silver took up twice as much room!

silver takes a large amount of room as it is, so 925 and above only for me now

hope you have a very large safe?

I won't be buying much but I'd like a few ounces as I like the history of the circulated coins. 

11 minutes ago, greendragon said:

I started to collect a few

then i realised that half silver took up twice as much room!

silver takes a large amount of room as it is, so 925 and above only for me now

hope you have a very large safe?

Yeah your right there they do take up some room but we can always afford to be buying bigger shiny silver so these allow you to buy close to spot if not below in some cases 

10 minutes ago, Arbkev said:

Nice coin

I won't be buying much but I'd like a few ounces as I like the history of the circulated coins. 

Always good to have a few of them just so your stack is varied eh but you can't beat a nice bar eh 

39 minutes ago, Silverman1985 said:

I am a big fan but appears most people care little for it, hence its price only really going over spot for rare dates or where condition is very good. 

I find them pretty cheap to get hold of not tried selling much yet though maybe I'll have a go and see how the market is with a small amount first eh 

Selling to dealers usually results in prices well below spot.  Maybe with the latest price increases it might do a little better.  I do have a few kilos but have usually paid well below spot when spot was much lower than it is now.

Archived