• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Old Gold VS New Gold

CollectorNo1

Steve Hills(Marsh) price guide values it at £2000 based on auction prices and a minimum grade of EF. "Coins in lower grades are worth considerably less" That's a ball park figure for a coin that is unlikely to be found in Uncirculated condition. I have compared it with my own 1924 sovereign and the wear seems very similar particularly on the reverse. I would grade mine as good VF, perhaps nearly EF, but certainly not Uncirculated! That said, I think £1300 is a good price to pay in my opinion. Only NGC/PCGS will give you a more accurate grade. Good-luck with whatever you decide.

That 1822 sovereign is about VF in UK grading.  The obverse possibly slightly better, but no more than GVF.  The reverse is definitely sufficiently worn on the high points that it's nowhere near EF and certainly nowhere near AU.

I agree with @sovereignsteve on the grading!

Even if collecting these was my thing (it isn't) I certainly wouldn't pay anywhere near £1300 for it.  It isn't an especially scarce coin.

Book value for a VF one in Nov 2019 was about £750. 

Gold was about £1150 per ounce back then - and I would not expect the numismatic premium of this coin to rise as fast as the spot price.

So a fair buying price might be £850 to £1000.

6 hours ago, CollectorNo1 said:

So I your opinion do you think this coin is worth the asking price??

I certainly wouldn't pay that much personally.

The last Spink I have, 2019, values it at £750 retail. Allowing for gold spot increase since then and the fact they are very sought after these days, you may be pushing that price now but that is retail.

The price quoted seems to be influenced by the inflated grade and value given by whoever assessed it. These are clearly false. Maybe £1000 for a private sale would the tops.

The best thing to do is have a look through some recent auction realised prices and go from there. I haven't been keeping a close eye recently as I'm not in the market, buying or selling this series.

Another thing to take into consideration; there are a number of very good conterfeits of this year, probably circulating in the hobby quite unobtrusively.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

If he's really a friend don't buy it: one or other of you will come to resent the other for taking advantage.

If you really want it then why not say this.  According to NGC the price for such a coin in AU50 is $1250 in AU53 $1500 in AU55 $1750 and in AU58 $2000.   So he is looking for something between AU53 and 55.  You buy it at £1300 and pay for getting it graded with NGC.  If it comes back as AU53 or better then that is it but if it comes back lower than AU53 he pays you back £150 per grade (well £150 if it is AU50, £300 if it is XF and £450 if it is VF)

There is always the possibility it will get a details grade - the top of the obverse makes me wonder if it had a mount at some point.  That would have an impact on value but I am not sure how much.

2 hours ago, Seasider said:

There is always the possibility it will get a details grade - the top of the obverse makes me wonder if it had a mount at some point.  That would have an impact on value but I am not sure how much.

This is a good point and difficult to judge without seeing the coin. I saw the flat spots on the rim and put it down to the photo having been resized or clipped at some point.

I have seen coins looking similar to this coming back as "details - cleaned".

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

On 17/10/2020 at 02:07, sovereignsteve said:

You are confusing "investing" and "speculating".

This.

The way I see it, since you're still new to the gold coin hobby, I'd suggest buying the 1 oz coin. You're getting FOUR times the gold for the same price. Get gold first, then later you can get variety, when you have a much better idea of things work with gold and what you prefer.

Archived