• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Magnet for Gold Test for Sovereigns

BobnotTed

I've read online that one way to help determine the authenticity of gold is the magnet test in which a "stronger than average" magnet should be used. If wanting to use a magnet to test sovereigns, what should I be looking for in terms of a magnet pull e.g. a pull of 500g etc?

Currently 30,000 magnets listed on eBay, so really need some way to narrow them down!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xmagnet.TRS0&_nkw=magnet&_sacat=0

20 minutes ago, 5huggy said:

The "Neodymium " magnet test is used on SILVER - NOT GOLD! 😉👍

I'd read that the magnet can be used for gold in the sense that gold is not magnetic. Consequently, if the item being tested is magnetic, then it ain't gold. Perhaps though whatever metal is used to fake sovereigns is also not magnetic, so this test would not necessarily be helpful for sovereigns?

1 hour ago, BobnotTed said:

I'd read that the magnet can be used for gold in the sense that gold is not magnetic. Consequently, if the item being tested is magnetic, then it ain't gold. Perhaps though whatever metal is used to fake sovereigns is also not magnetic, so this test would not necessarily be helpful for sovereigns?

Anything that sticks to a magnet is DEFINITELY fake, Something that doesn't stick isn't necessarily genuine.

"To get to where I need to be, I start by walking away from where I am."

2 minutes ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

Anything that sticks to a magnet is DEFINITELY fake, Something that doesn't stick isn't necessarily genuine.

Yes, it's just one extra test which can be done, alongside measuring the diameter and weighing it.

@BobnotTed

The neodymium magnet test DOES work for gold as well. If you hang the coin on a thread and move a big neodymium magnet close to it, it will move away. If it's a tungsten forgery, it will be slightly attacked to it as shown in this short video (in German but I have summed up the essentials already). (The same magnet will attract iron not slightly but from a quite big distance)

Tip: Use a magent of the size shown in this video, I have tried it with a smaller one and then the effect is very small and it's harder to interpret it correctly. Be aware though that a neodymium magnet of the size shown in the video must be kept away 2 metres from electronics and 1 meter from people with pace makers. At least according to the package insert my neodymium magnet of a similar size came with. The small ones I have didn't come with such a warning.

Below a variation of the same test but in English but with a more complex set up that requires additional equipment and it's not as easy to spot:

55 minutes ago, Prophecy said:

Why save literally a few pennies by buying from junk sources to need these desperate tests?

It's not about saving a few pennies but about avoiding desperation when you find out you have fakes. Any source can sell fakes, mistakes happen, when you check umpteen coins day in day out, year after year. My first coin was a fake - from a source I would have deemed reputable. I got it replaced. I know I have a fake rate of 0% percent, now.

17 minutes ago, silenceissilver said:

It's not about saving a few pennies but about avoiding desperation when you find out you have fakes. Any source can sell fakes, mistakes happen, when you check umpteen coins day in day out, year after year. My first coin was a fake - from a source I would have deemed reputable. I got it replaced. I know I have a fake rate of 0% percent, now.

But did you use the magnet test? 

Another piece of testing kit for testing gold and silver bars and coins approx 2mm or thicker( in fact any item with two parallel sides) is the ultrasonic thickness gauge . When you set it to the velocity of the metal you are testing it sends an ultrasonic wave through the item and tells you the thickness it should be. They cost about £50 on Ebay  which isn't cheap but I have found mine very useful and if it helps to save someone buying a fake bar then well worth the money. Certainly worth doing a bit of research on the Internet to get an idea of how they work. 

Archived