• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Rhodium

vacancies

I have thought about buying a 1/4 oz but ended up buying gold instead. I thought i could not sell it in a hurry. So long as you won't need to sell it quick. I am with you. I think its on it way up and could be a very profitable long term investment. For me it the precious metal most likely to rocket. 

Also i have not found anywhere cheaper than bairdmint. 

The liquidity bothered me too. If it's not shifting on eBay then that's an indicator that you are stuck with a dealer - and in that case skip the VAT and have them hold it.

Also baird don't got smaller than quarter oz. They used to do tenths.

I have a couple of ounces bought off someone who held thru the really big spike ( £4-5k a bar ) and then needed to sell during a period of lower prices & I bought 2 for £1650. If it got to anything like previous I’d be doing ok I guess but  I am a PM collector so I have 3 ounces ( one for my wife ) of something incredibly rare. 
I have seen that it is difficult to sell but that is not a major concern to me now. But I won’t be adding at £5k a bar. I’d rather have some Au or Pt pieces. If someone offered silly money I would sell one but not them all as then I wouldn’t have an example of the rarest PM 

CB 

When I first learned about rhodium it was from Kitco where they sold it in powdered or granular form in a sealed container. Bars were not yet available. Actually taking possession of the container would cause it to lose some value. You could only sell it back to Kitco so I assume nobody else would buy it. Although I thought it would be cool to have some this seemed like too much of a hassle. It would probably be better to have it in an unallocated account.

Heard similar too.  Plus they keep a massive separation between BID and ASK price (like 1000's) so you need a massive move in the market to feel any benefit.  Also if the seal is broken then its another 15% off.  Not worth it.

Some metal companies will buy back metals they have sold to you if you have kept them in the original, unopened container. If you actually want to see and handle your metal you're out of luck, and even if you could see it a pile of dark gray powder isn't very sexy.. But it can work. In 1980 I went through the periodic table, a price chart, and a list of average crustal metal concentrations, in order to identify the most undervalued elements relative to abundance, and found a half dozen. A few of these were dangerously reactive (e.g. cesium). The rest  were noble metals: ruthenium, osmium, iridium,  rhenium, and palladium. My brother stocked up on all of these except rhenium and kept them in their original packaging . He broke even on  osmium, but the others all increased in price. Iridium tripled in price. Palladium soared from about $40/oz to ca $300, initially in response to reports of cold fusion, and briefly too above $700, when ruthenium started to be used in computer hard drives, My brother made all his money by selling his metals back to the distributor that originally sold them to him.

BTW currently the most under-valued precious or noble metal is rhenium, which usually is placed among among the four rarest stable metals. Rhenium is rarer than gold and is essential to the aircraft industry, where it is alloyed with nickel to create a "super alloy" that retains it's strength at the red heat of jet engine's combustion chambers and turbine blades.  Rhenium is going for about $2000/kilo or just $65/toz. It has been over $10k

Archived