• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Choosing the right coins to collect for later profit

MickB

Apart from Lunar series coins, would specific year coins that mark an event command less money in the future?

As I have bought both the Australian and New Zealand 2015 cricket World Cup coins, I was thinking that in, say eighteen years time when it wouldn't be fresh in people's minds, would these go for a lower price even though they are limited in number?

A yearly proof coin of a country would be collectable for those wanting to complete a date run as more people would be chasing these. I may be wrong but I don't want to be in a position where I would have collected loads of limited editions and never be able to sell them on for a decent price whilst my bullion coins would end up going for the same.

some combinations work better than others.

I think sports genre on coins generally are not that

sought after. it needs to appeal to potential

buyers. eg for those that remember it, childhood

coins like the large half pennies can be collectible.

for those into cricket maybe a cricket bat or ball

would be more collectible than a coin depicting a

competition.

even at 8M minted silver panda's are limited

edition coins but then they have an 8M+ buyer

demand.

HH

Probably sports theme like cricket would be best to sell quickly but what about military anniversaries, would they be expected to go for a little more?

Was thinking about getting a gold 1/4 ounce New Zealand Spirit of Anzac coin at £378 with a limited mintage of 500. Would this be worthwhile?

This is the risk you take trying to turn collectibles for profit. In theory the rarer the item, the more its likely to appreciate in value, but I rather think the market is saturated with collectible "semi-numismatic" coins and most modern silver issues are not very likely to have any significant lasting value above bullion; you'll do well to just maintain the premium you paid.

Probably sports theme like cricket would be best to sell quickly but what about military anniversaries, would they be expected to go for a little more?

Was thinking about getting a gold 1/4 ounce New Zealand Spirit of Anzac coin at £378 with a limited mintage of 500. Would this be worthwhile?

items that need to state that they are collectible

and then charge you 90+% premium are probably

not going to make you any profit. when exactly are

you planning on selling this 100th anniversary coin?

maybe 2115 when the limited edition 200th anniversary

coin sparks more interest in it?

some of the most collectible items don't have to cost

the owner large premiums when initially bought. eg

the taku coins would have been quite collectible if it

weren't for a not so great strike.(and also the fact that

they probably added to the numbers of the earlier years)

HH

Avoid. Simples. There will be no secondary market for this coin.

Has there ever been a coin that marks an occasion/anniversary sell on the secondary market for a premium a few years later?

Judging by what's been said here and what I'm thinking it's best to avoid them if looking for a good return on them, just either buy them as a gift or enjoy them as a collector who doesn't want to sell.

I have a small amount of sporting items from private mints Mick, bought because I liked them or they were cheap and although in good condition I just value them at spot. Some of the sport themed pieces I have seen

could have had a run limited to one and it wouldn't increase the value any. Horrible.  You could chance your arm with this tasteful little beauty celebrating both a sporting event and an anniversary.

http://www.perthmint.com.au/catalogue/first-official-australian-horse-race-2010-1oz-silver-proof-coin.aspx

Sorry, no more available.  :(

I think when it comes to coins stick to ordinary or special versions of ordinary or key dates in runs. Or focus on % over spot like some others do.

Unless the price is right avoid collectables that are too "manufactured". Limited proofs of popular billion coins are good as are high relief versions or special versions with limited distribution. My favorites are Sovereigns Britannias and Libertads for Gold.

Proof Libertads, proof Kookaburras, lunar 1 and 2 bu and proofs. That is a lot of choice.

If you want a sense of demand look at eBay auctions with over 10 bids and see what people are trying to buy.

wise words from @Numistacker

Add this advice with eBay auctions

Ending at bad times or across different timezones,

Ads with poor photos/descriptions.

Usage of favorable exchange rates (ie better to buy from europe now as opposed to buying from USA)

use watchcount.com or goofbay to find out the most bid up item or the items with the most watches on

Dont be put off if you are outbid.  You still have your fiat debt tokens to buy your next item you bid on

Items come and go all the time on ebay for one time you get outbid on an item another 'favourable' item will be along soon 

I personally wouldn't stick to one specific series.  Let price dictate how much you want a desirable/in demand item

Dont be afraid to flip things you win on the cheap back to fiat for a profit and you have more to buy buy more.

Archived