• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Coin Grading in the UK

Keithoil

Sorry my mistake, just when he asked coin grading remembered the email i had got earlier in the year.  

Grading isn't for me at all so i didn't put too much thought into the reply, i see now it is PCGS they use

Not sure which other UK based companies offer this grading service for NGC or PCGS

people that don't want to pay extra for slabbed coins

are only interested in better than average coins. the

slabbed coins should be targeting collectors who

are willing to pay a larger premium for 'top of the

range' coins. coins that can target this much smaller

market will benefit most from grading.

slabbing should not be seen as a money spinner for

any old circulating coin

As a collector myself I would prefer  to buy coins with the original packaging.Regarding lunar proofs 1&2 which is my current collecting hunt I wouldn't buy a slabbed coin at all.

I think slabs obviously have a place, it is big in the US but not so anywhere else.How I see it for Bu coins and especially pandas which are well know to be faked it gives a guarantee of authenticity.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

I think slabs obviously have a place, it is big in the US but not so anywhere else.How I see it for Bu coins and especially pandas which are well know to be faked it gives a guarantee of authenticity.

Although there are truck loads of fake slabbed coins coming out of China now. Problem with them, is that you can't measure or weigh them to check the coins inside them are genuine.

Although there are truck loads of fake slabbed coins coming out of China now. Problem with them, is that you can't measure or weigh them to check the coins inside them are genuine.

Good point that's another reason I wouldn't bother with slabs.

eBay is full of fake pandas but I can't remember seeing too many ngc or pcgs fakes

I think the problem is that they are available, so that breeds suspicion of every slabbed panda.

The fact I know they are readily available means I wouldn't buy slabbed pandas, ergo reducing the market and probably achieved price.

The lack of ability to perform my standard tests is what concerns me the most.

Stacker since 2013

One of the best ways in our armoury to detect fakes is to develop a high level of expertise in your chosen area of collecting or stacking.

That comes with time, research,common sense, owning and looking closely at the coins you buy.

I thought the whole point is to be able to check the id against a database

to verify what you're buying.

HH

And you think the counterfeiters can't copy a genuine ID number?

They can and they do.

They even make sure the coin is in the correct rotation against the holding tabs inside, to make it look exactly like the photo on the NGC database for example.

Naughty, very naughty.

Stacker since 2013

They can and they do.

They even make sure the coin is in the correct rotation against the holding tabs inside, to make it look exactly like the photo on the NGC database for example.

Naughty, very naughty.

That's nice of the NGC to give the fakers everything they need to copy a slabbed coin... ;)

At least with an unslabbed coin you can physically check if it is genuine or not. A slabbed coin must be a counterfeiters dream come true.....

As a newbie to slabbed coins, for me I just like having something just right. Scratches, minor marks etc lower my personal enjoyment of my purchase. I have my stack of silver that I don't care about that much what it looks like, and my other growing stack of numi stuff that I buy because I really like the look or design. For that stack, for me, buying slabbed coins feels nice and I am at least more likely to get a perfect coin. I don't understand though why people would buy pf69 or ms69 if a 70 is available? If I am already paying a premium why don't I spend an extra few quid on the supposed perfect specimen.

Also look into resale having slabbed 70 coins might appeal more to the world market when its time to cash in? Maybe...

As a newbie to slabbed coins, for me I just like having something just right. Scratches, minor marks etc lower my personal enjoyment of my purchase. I have my stack of silver that I don't care about that much what it looks like, and my other growing stack of numi stuff that I buy because I really like the look or design. For that stack, for me, buying slabbed coins feels nice and I am at least more likely to get a perfect coin. I don't understand though why people would buy pf69 or ms69 if a 70 is available? If I am already paying a premium why don't I spend an extra few quid on the supposed perfect specimen.

Also look into resale having slabbed 70 coins might appeal more to the world market when its time to cash in? Maybe...

I see what you are saying, but respectfully disagree (particularly the last paragraph, but I'm not saying your view is wrong).

My view is, if China keep churning out fake slabs then resale will suffer, badly.

Granted, they produce a hell of a lot of fake bare coins, but people can easily test them to ensure they are genuine.

With slabs, that advantage is removed in its entirety for the general masses.

I have seen a fake slabbed coin, and they are very very convincing.

Stacker since 2013

• 6 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an oldie but I'm learning lots as I go and this thread interested me.

I had to go check some retailers, like Weighton Coin for example.

They actually have bullion 1oz silver Brits slabbed by cgs for £60!

Just looking at my own bullion coins and I can tell myself which are nicer or whatever. If expect the odd ones to rate higher than others.

But why bother? It's bullion. If I want to pay ~3x more give me a proof that is nicer to look at, rarer, and looked after so is 'nice' to begin with.

As per fakes, online buying etc, I wonder how many may buy legit coins, call them fake, keep an original and return a fake.

A savvy seller would check but how do you deal with that via eBay and the like?

Slabbed makes life harder to check for buyers, but what about sellers and faker swappers?

Well you know where they live.

I've only had to deal with one idiot on eBay but it was enough.

I suppose this is where demanding high feedback bidders is probably best to make sure they're not dodgy.

If you can still do that on eBay these days, I've not sold expensive stuff on there for ages.

• 4 months later...

For rare coins perhaps. 

I personally cannot see why anyone would want to buy a bullion coin that is slabbed, unless they are the proof or coloured variety.  After all, the standard BU coins are mass produced and should be all the same grade.  Also the American Mint has admitted that they do not separate the year's first minted coins from any others, so the 'first release' labels can also be considered factually incorrect.

That said, when I first started collecting, I did buy a slabbed Panda; at the time with my inexperience it was the only way I could be certain I wasn't buying a fake.

Cheers
Keith

For rare coins perhaps. 

I personally cannot see why anyone would want to buy a bullion coin that is slabbed, unless they are the proof or coloured variety.  After all, the standard BU coins are mass produced and should be all the same grade.  Also the American Mint has admitted that they do not separate the year's first minted coins from any others, so the 'first release' labels can also be considered factually incorrect.

That said, when I first started collecting, I did buy a slabbed Panda; at the time with my inexperience it was the only way I could be certain I wasn't buying a fake.

Cheers

Keith

I just bought a gold 1/2oz panda. It will be slabbed along with a 2015 1/4gold Libertad. I would slab any coin apart from 100,000 plus mintage silver BU bullion and perhaps lunar BU bullion.

For lots of coins that are new now and just modern bullion can be 10 years times rarity. Many gold .9999 coins are very easy to damage and the slab hugely preserves them from handling and rim damage.

Also slabs create an unseen world market in coins. 50% of slabbed coins have problems and this makes them dangerous and risky to buy sight unseen.

Many gold .9999 coins are very easy to damage and the slab hugely preserves them from handling and rim damage.

I can see the reason, but I don't think it would be for me.

Not touching my gold would be like leaving my Action Man in his original packaging back in the 70's.

It didn't happen then , and is unlikely to happen now :)

Currently stacking 1/4 oz (22ct) and Sovs.

Archived