• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What would a fair price be. Britannias

Becca

2 hours ago, Becca said:

Hi,

Ask a question of you knowledgeable folk if I can please.

I was offered some Brits today 2000 to 2008 for £30 each to go into a series collection, would that be fair ?

Thank you

B

A couple of years ago, that would be a good price. Some were selling for quite a bit more and others less. Prices have eased off a little recently so I would say £30 average is top side but not outrageous.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Re: the ones in cards. They always tended to go for a little bit more but beware toning. They are not airtight and you can get unsightly toning around the edges. Personally I prefer one in OMP (mint sealed plastic) or one that is perfect but kept in an airtight cap.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

1 minute ago, sovereignsteve said:

Re: the ones in cards. They always tended to go for a little bit more but beware toning. They are not airtight and you can get unsightly toning around the edges. Personally I prefer one in OMP (mint sealed plastic) or one that is perfect but kept in an airtight cap.

Thats great will keep that in mind when looking at coins, great info !!

Around the edge, I picked this pic up off ebay after someone sent me over there to look, remember wondering if they came clean and you answered the question for me. Thanks  :)

Not to brag or anything, but I have every year of silver Britannias from 1997 to 2020 - proofs as well as bullion they were among the stash of silver my dog found last year, (I'm only missing the 2020 Oriental border Britannia**).  I honestly don't think that they are worth paying much more than £23 - £25 each especially if they are not proofs.  My reasoning for this being that the first incarnation of Britannias, namely those first inroduced in gold in 1987 can be bough right now for spot plus around 5% - 10% - around £1350.00 for the 1987 1 ounce gold Britannia with free shipping 1 ounce gold 1987 gold Britannia, I think I paid roughly £800 - £850 for mine in 2015 when I moved to the U.K - not much over the spot price for gold back in 2015.  I just bought what may be argued to be the coin that started the bullion coin craze namely the 1967 gold krugerrand for £2400.00 not much under double the current gold spot price - not much of an increae in value when you take into consideration the spot price of gold in 1967, inflation, age of the coin, the rarity of the coin and the spot price of gold today, and to be honest I would be very surprised if my 1987 one ounce gold Britannia yet alone any of my other Britannias both gold or silver will provide a decent return on investment in my lifetime other than the free ones my dog found, as in I would be very surprised if I would be able to get more than spot plus 1% - 5% in my lifetime instead of 20%+ to break even with VAT on the silver ones.

I can understand wanting to get a complete date set, I'm in the process of doing that with the gold Britannis, that's what I started doing since I moved to the U.K. back in 2015, but as you can see from the link I posted above, the gold Britannias, even the first in the series - 1987, can be bought today for very little above the spot price of gold.

** The only silver I have actually paid for, or bought has been a 2020 proof silver Britannia, a few tubes of uncirculated bullion 2020 Britannias, the 2020 White Lion of Mortimer proof as well as a few tubes of uncirculated bullion White Lion of Mortimer, basically buying the same amount and types as in the stash that my dog found , and the only reason why I've bought these is to continue with the series, once the Queen's Beasts series of coins is finished I'll just be buying one proof silver Britannia and and a few tubes every year, I figure I might as well add to them seeing how I acquired 1997 to 2019 silver Britannias for free thanks to the dog, and who knows my kids or their kids may benefit from this in the distant future, I have strong doubs that I'll realise a decent increase in value on these coins in my lifetime.

8 minutes ago, Seth said:

Not to brag or anything, but I have every year of silver Britannias from 1997 to 2020 - proofs as well as bullion they were among the stash of silver my dog found last year, (I'm only missing the 2020 Oriental border Britannia**).  I honestly don't think that they are worth paying much more than £23 - £25 each especially if they are not proofs.  My reasoning for this being that the first incarnation of Britannias, namely those first inroduced in gold in 1987 can be bough right now for spot plus around 5% - 10% - around £1350.00 for the 1987 1 ounce gold Britannia with free shipping 1 ounce gold 1987 gold Britannia, I think I paid roughly £800 - £850 for mine in 2015 when I moved to the U.K - not much over the spot price for gold back in 2015.  I just bought what may be argued to be the coin that started the bullion coin craze namely the 1967 gold krugerrand for £2400.00 not much under double the current gold spot price - not much of an increae in value when you take into consideration the spot price of gold in 1967, inflation, age of the coin, the rarity of the coin and the spot price of gold today, and to be honest I would be very surprised if my 1987 one ounce gold Britannia yet alone any of my other Britannias both gold or silver will provide a decent return on investment in my lifetime other than the free ones my dog found, as in I would be very surprised if I would be able to get more than spot plus 1% - 5% in my lifetime instead of 20%+ to break even with VAT on the silver ones.

I can understand wanting to get a complete date set, I'm in the process of doing that with the gold Britannis, that's what I started doing since I moved to the U.K. back in 2015, but as you can see from the link I posted above, the gold Britannias, even the first in the series - 1987, can be bought today for very little above the spot price of gold.

** The only silver I have actually paid for, or bought has been a 2020 proof silver Britannia, a few tubes of uncirculated bullion 2020 Britannias, the 2020 White Lion of Mortimer proof as well as a few tubes of uncirculated bullion White Lion of Mortimer, basically buying the same amount and types as in the stash that my dog found , and the only reason why I've bought these is to continue with the series, once the Queen's Beasts series of coins is finished I'll just be buying one proof silver Britannia and and a few tubes every year, I figure I might as well add to them seeing how I acquired 1997 to 2019 silver Britannias for free thanks to the dog, and who knows my kids or their kids may benefit from this in the distant future, I have strong doubs that I'll realise a decent increase in value on these coins in my lifetime.

Really really interesting and good of you to relay the facts !!

Check the prices for the 2005 and 2006 Brits.
On the EU sites they are listed mid 50's Euros and you will fall off your seat checking APMEX.
You can do better on eBay but then you would generally get pipped in the last nanosecond and then there is shipping of each individual coin to consider.
Definitely priced in the upper quartile but for good condition coins it could save a lot of wasted effort and time.

2 minutes ago, Becca said:

I wouldn't call what I posted as ''facts'', but merely my own unqualified opinion and views on the subject, and as I've mentioned in my first post on this forum when I signed up, the only reason why I own any silver is down to pure luck, if my dog hadn't found somebody eleses stash of silver I wouldn't own any silver and would just be buying gold.

1 minute ago, Seth said:

I wouldn't call what I posted as ''facts'', but merely my own unqualified opinion and views on the subject, and as I've mentioned in my first post on this forum when I signed up, the only reason why I own any silver is down to pure luck, if my dog hadn't found somebody eleses stash of silver I wouldn't own any silver and would just be buying gold.

Thinking I will sell what I have and buy a dog :)

I was bit baffled by this post about silver Britannias until I checked and realised that older silver Britannias do sell for more. I know, of course, that older gold Britannias are highly collectible and that the founder of BullionByPost, Rob Halliday-Stein, is an avid collector of Britannias.

8 hours ago, danmc82 said:

Just looking on ebay and someone is selling the whole range. Look at those prices though 😮

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silver-BRITANNIA-1oz-Coin-UK-Royal-Mint-Bullion-coins-in-capsules-1997-to-2020/174147825463?var=473048044854&hash=item288c04ef37:m:mQesNzNeBnJ99T9POZLnNlQ

Just as @Madstacks says, people will be willing to pay over the odds for missing dates.

Im personally not looking forward to getting the 1997 Proof Brit 😥

Im glad I got them all apart from the pig privy which I still haven't found any that were produced other then to try and get people interested, no proof of production

22 hours ago, Becca said:

I forgot to mention, one of if not the biggest reason for me saying that I would pay no more than £23.00 - £25.00 per coin, or around £160 - £180.00 for all nine of them is due to how much dealers are willling to buy them back for against what they sell them for, just using the selling prices and buy back prices from a dealer that I've seen mentioned a good few times on this forum, and one that a mate of mine has personal experience with - Atkinsons, Buy back price of pre 2012 1 ounce silver Britannias, you can see that they well give you less than £14.50 each for them, yet their sale price for post 2013 1ounce silver Beitannias varies from around £17.07 to £21.42, yes I know that the dates don't exactly lign up with the dates that you are looking at, but they are close enough to get a general idea, the only advantage your offer has is to buy the dates you want for £30.00 each without having to try you luck with regards to coin quality and date, and it's not a big risk with coin quality dealers will and do reject bad quality coins, or sell them off for scrap/melt value on coins they think will be returned to them or give them a bad reputation, so your only real advantage is that you don't have to try you luck as to the date you receive when buying second hand mixed date coins from a dealer, most dealers offer this, my mate has done it multiple times with Atkinsons, hence why I used them as an example, and he's been extremely happy with both the dates and the quality of the coins he has received from them, and he's a collector and not a stacker.  And as to them coming in their cards, I wouldn't put too much stock or faith in that, the blanks/empty cards are widely available to buy all over the place especially online, eBay had a full collection of blank cards/sleaves for Britannias up for sale a few days ago, maybe as much as a week ago, here's one such card for sale on eBay right now EMPTY 2007 Silver Bullion Britannia £2 Coin Blister Pack

Archived