• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Spot the Error

Stu66

I was browsing EBay yesterday , as you do, and spotted this nice silver panda for sale, it had one bid already. Anyone spot something wrong?.

I messaged the seller , who is fairly new to the game, and he has removed the item.

The prize for the first correct responder..... I will buy you a pint the next time I see you in the pub.

17913934-B3B7-40DC-B2B0-B866CC7E358C_4_5005_c.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Stu66 said:

I was browsing EBay yesterday , as you do, and spotted this nice silver panda for sale, it had one bid already. Anyone spot something wrong?.

I messaged the seller , who is fairly new to the game, and he has removed the item.

The prize for the first correct responder..... I will buy you a pint the next time I see you in the pub.

17913934-B3B7-40DC-B2B0-B866CC7E358C_4_5005_c.jpeg

Very difficult to spot if this is a genuine panda or not with such  a bad and low resolution photo , it 's even difficult to see the shades between mirrored and frosted areas and subtle details of fur . At first sight I would say that the Yuan symbol is slightly below the "10". 

Edit one post found it  : the "Au" instead of  "Ag" ! I was lmore looking into details and did not even see the obvious at first sight !

1 hour ago, Stu66 said:

Nearly correct @Draconicus, the pic isn't very clear as I got it from the old listing, but it is Au. Think the counterfeiters got their gold and silver mixed.

You still win the prize so a pint the next time I'm in the Algarve.

Terrible sorry mate, My vision it's similar to a old Bat...lol and I couldn't see it clearly:)

Meet me in Faro next Summer pls:)

Lol...what a mistake for a so called scammer... It looks he needs a little more lessons of Chemistry:)

1 hour ago, Stu66 said:

Nearly correct @Draconicus, the pic isn't very clear as I got it from the old listing, but it is Au. Think the counterfeiters got their gold and silver mixed.

You still win the prize so a pint the next time I'm in the Algarve.

That error has been around a while now, well documented.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

15 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

That error has been around a while now, well documented.

I still think its good to highlight this sort of thing.   I am still fairly new to this and learning every day.  When I first started purchasing silver I did not know there were so many fakes out there.  It has taken me many months to find information on just some of the fakes out there, some being easy to spot if you know what to look for.  But still a lot that are very hard to spot from just pics.  This has probably been sugested before, I think a Known Fakes thread on the forum would be a great idea.

1 hour ago, dom555 said:

I still think its good to highlight this sort of thing.   I am still fairly new to this and learning every day.  When I first started purchasing silver I did not know there were so many fakes out there.  It has taken me many months to find information on just some of the fakes out there, some being easy to spot if you know what to look for.  But still a lot that are very hard to spot from just pics.  This has probably been sugested before, I think a Known Fakes thread on the forum would be a great idea.

Many of these fakes are outlined in the panda book and website. It has always been recommended that collectors consult these sources before purchasing older pandas, especially on Ebay.

I think your idea for a known fakes thread is a good one.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

1 hour ago, Foe said:

Letters don't line up

I found this one quite hard to spot. On the 4th row of words the Word Silver is too close to the edge and you can see "AMER". On an original you only see "AME" on this line.
More words do not line up / show too much or little of the words.
A beginner stacker could easily be caught with one of these.
There are lots of other bits that show its a fake, I used this site : https://www.fakebullion.com/index.php/component/k2/item/9-pan-american-1-ounce-silver-bar

38 minutes ago, 5huggy said:

Some are a little obvious - BUT ONLY IF YOU KNOW! 😉👍

Knowing what to look for is the hard bit. I spend a lot more time checking out coins and bars before buying than I did when I started.😀

24 minutes ago, dom555 said:

I found this one quite hard to spot. On the 4th row of words the Word Silver is too close to the edge and you can see "AMER". On an original you only see "AME" on this line.
More words do not line up / show too much or little of the words.
A beginner stacker could easily be caught with one of these.
There are lots of other bits that show its a fake, I used this site : https://www.fakebullion.com/index.php/component/k2/item/9-pan-american-1-ounce-silver-bar

Fakebullion is a great resource for sure helped me spot a fake Perth Mint 1oz bar last week. The latest fakes are shockingly good.

Archived